Will.I.Am = killing it?

13»

Comments

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts
    Some of you are confusing an ability to provoke a "Gee, this is surprisingly decent for that dude" type reaction with dude actually killing it.

You are all little dudes and know nothing about rap.

And I am especially disappointed in the one Phill.

Will.I.Am > Just Blaze in 2006.

Yeah, I went there.

Oliver, you thought that the Busta track was "hot to def".

I can't even take this seriously.

Dude's got a track on almost every new release I hear lately--and it's invariably some lackluster terd that I have no desire to revisit.

If Will.I.Am > Just Blaze in 2006, then where is his "Talkin' to You" or his "Kingdom Come"?

How come everytime you come around,
    My London, London bridge, wanna go down like,
    London, London, London, wanna go down like,
    London, London, London, we goin??? down like

OH SHIT!!!

there you have it, you

That's Polow da Dan, you poptart.

What do you know about that Jim Crow?

my bad, fools is already up on polow.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    I have to say...this has been a thoroughly entertaining thread.

Points of clarification:

1) Will's been doing, in this year, good work on the production tip. I never, ever need to hear him touch a mic again. As a songwriter, "inane" would be too good a compliment.

2) I wasn't suggesting, at all, that he's been the year's best producer. I do think he's been the year's most surprising producer. My point with comparing him with Just Blaze wasn't to suggest that Will has suddenly leap-frogged JB on the "all-time" list. Only that, JB has had an uneven year and that, to me, Will has been surprisingly consistent with some solid tracks. But yes Faux, that shit for Busta sucked ballz. I'm not cosigning on everything he's done this year.

3) Is he creative? I think this is a valid question but I also wonder if this is the only credible criteria to apply. 9th Wonder might be more creative in terms of his sample sources but frankly, dude has always bored me to tears. I'd rather listen to a beat that I, you know, ACTUALLY LIKE, than something that might show more creativity but lacks any punch or charm. In any case, I found some of WIA's beats such as for "Clumsy" and "Keep Bouncin" to be rather creative. "Compton" and "Damn Girl" excepted (but they still sound good).

4) Will we care in 10 years? Who knows? Will hip-hop be around in 10 years?

5) Re: Jermaine Dupri. His genius is just the fact that he's still around 15 years later. And not simply "around" but thriving. He's rather be rich than have a lot of respect. I wonder how many of his colleagues would co-sign on that too.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    But yes Faux, that shit for Busta sucked ballz. I'm not cosigning on everything he's done this year.

Is that your final word? Because three months ago it was "hot to def" according to you.

5) Re: Jermaine Dupri. His genius is just the fact that he's still around 15 years later. And not simply "around" but thriving. He's rather be rich than have a lot of respect. I wonder how many of his colleagues would co-sign on that too.

You don't need to tell me that--I have tremendous respect for him as a businessman. I just don't think you can apply the "genius" tag to the production of someoene whose chief ability is in aping whatever's currently popular.

But yes Faux, that shit for Busta sucked ballz. I'm not cosigning on everything he's done this year.

Is that your final word? Because three months ago it was "hot to def" according to you.

Are you talking about "I Love My Chick"? Did I actually write that?

Yes to both. "Hot to def" = actual quote

• LordNOLordNO 202 Posts
    5) Re: Jermaine Dupri. His genius is just the fact that he still looks around 15 years old

Ah, ok - I thought you were referring to something I wrote here but instead, you meant on the blog. I wasn't talking about Will's production on the song when I wrote that but in any case...I wouldn't say I found either "hot to def." "Sucks ballz" is too harsh as well (listening to the song again just now) but it's not very memorable either.

For the record, "My Humps" = sucks ballz, especially in terms of production. I almost do like the lyrics just as kitsch though.

You don't need to tell me that--I have tremendous respect for him as a businessman. I just don't think you can apply the "genius" tag to the production of someoene whose chief ability is in aping whatever's currently popular.

Yeah, I wouldn't call him "genius" as a musical mind either. You see this?

"Now, at the age of thirty-four, Dupri is one of the most consistently employed producers in hip-hop and R. & B. His talent is his anonymity: he has no particular style, and that prevents him from going out of fashion.

Pop-music snobs usually don???t rank Dupri as high as they do auteurs like Dr. Dre and the Neptunes, and they fail to recognize his knack for isolating what is best about a trend and exaggerating it to wonderful effect; if Atlanta snap music is spare and weird, he???ll make it positively barren and dissonant."

http://www.newyorker.com/critics/content/articles/061030crmu_music

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    ^^^great post odub

i have one thing to say about WIA's lyrics:

T-A-S-T-E-Y

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    ^^^great post odub

T-A-S-T-E-Y

He's on some N-X-E-T next shit.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    ^^^great post odub

T-A-S-T-E-Y

He's on some N-X-E-T next shit.

He's fly like a b-r-i-d.

• http://spinemagazine.com/music/october/thegame/compton.mp3

The Game: Compton

I'm saying - a year ago, I would have laughed at the idea that I'd give a f--- about anything Will works on but he's had an impressive year on the production year. This new track may rely on the familiar (hello "Hard Times"!) but I can't remotely hate on this.

The beat is Dope, but Will.i.am needs to stay off the tracks. He cornballed that shit up. keep bouncing was dope too but he fucked that up with the fucking girl on the chorus...

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts
    if Atlanta snap music is spare and weird, he???ll make it positively barren and dissonant."

Yes, but he didnt do OOOHH i think they like me. So thats that.

basicly money aint a thang was his crowning moment, that and welcome to atlanta.

^^^great post odub

T-A-S-T-E-Y

That's not Oliver, it's SFJ.

if Atlanta snap music is spare and weird, he???ll make it positively barren and dissonant."

basicly money aint a thang was his crowning moment, that and welcome to atlanta.

Basically.

I think both Oliver and SFJ may both be giving JD credit for tracks that he put out but didn't produce.

Ah, ok - I thought you were referring to something I wrote here but instead, you meant on the blog. I wasn't talking about Will's production on the song when I wrote that...

Well, okay, but just to be clear: which part of the track did you find to be "hot to def"?

Busta's rap? Kelis's' contribution?

Basically.

I think both Oliver and SFJ may both be giving JD credit for tracks that he put out but didn't produce.

I wasn't crediting JD with anything save for his ability to stay around long after Kris Kross and Da Brat faded from view. The last song he produced that I could even name off the top of the dome would be "Money AIn't a Thing."

I was quoting the NYer piece b/c I think it speaks to what Faux was noting: JD isn't a great musical talent...he's just savvy enough to stay in the mix.

As for "I Love My Chick" - at the time, I thought it was good single for Busta: energetic, playful, etc. but honestly, it was a snap BLOG judgment which, upon reflection, was an overstatement. As are most things I've written on a blog.

Or here.

Basically.

I wasn't crediting JD with anything save for his ability to stay around long after Kris Kross and Da Brat faded from view. The last song he produced that I could even name off the top of the dome would be "Money AIn't a Thing."

I was quoting the NYer piece b/c I think it speaks to what Faux was noting: JD isn't a great musical talent...he's just savvy enough to stay in the mix.

As for "I Love My Chick" - at the time, I thought it was good single for Busta: energetic, playful, etc. but honestly, it was a snap BLOG judgment which, upon reflection, was an overstatement. As are most things I've written on a blog.

Or here.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^COPPING PLEAS!

• As for "I Love My Chick" - at the time, I thought it was good single for Busta: energetic, playful, etc. but honestly, it was a snap BLOG judgment which, upon reflection, was an overstatement. As are most things I've written on a blog.

Or here.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^COPPING PLEAS!

It was a "botched joke".

• snap BLOG judgment

So many levels of entertainment can be found in this phrase, which is not unlike a Russian matryoshka doll.