questions for Pharoahe Monch?

mordecaimordecai 2,204 Posts
edited October 2006 in Strut Central
If things go as planned, I'm supposed to interview Pharoahe Monch after work today.do any of yall have any questions you'd like me to ask?

Comments

• magneticmagnetic 2,678 Posts
    Why did he have to wait 7 years to drop another album?

• kalakala 3,361 Posts
    what kind of under-roos did paul c rock?

• 33thirdcom33thirdcom 2,049 Posts
    Why the F*ck is he leading with a single where he is "singing" a la Gnarls Barkley.

• Why the F*ck is he leading with a single where he is "singing" a la Gnarls Barkley.

You kind of answered your own question.

• is he really gay? (not that there is anything wrong with that). and if so... will he be reaching out to the gay community with his new release?

Why the F*ck is he leading with a single where he is "singing" a la Gnarls Barkley.

I am not sure if that is the reason or if it were something else. I want the truth!

• ask him how he feels that the skreets, er i mean the 'netz, aren't feeling his new single.

but seriously, we all know he's one of the best rappers of the past 15 years... i've always been a bit unclear about the production ('beats') on the first 2 OK LP's. i think most of it's just credited to OK right? and it's bonkers, stands right up with the other classics of the period, but was it mostly him? Mostly Prince Po? or a ghost? so maybe ask him about this, cause not many people can rightfully boast such advanced skill on the mic AND behind the boards? (sorry if this is corny, or already common knowledge)

• mordecaimordecai 2,204 Posts
    Why did he have to wait 7 years to drop another album?
    this is most likely just label B.S. ...but maybe not.

...i've always been a bit unclear about the production ('beats') on the first 2 OK LP's. i think most of it's just credited to OK right? and it's bonkers, stands right up with the other classics of the period, but was it mostly him? Mostly Prince Po? or a ghost? so maybe ask him about this, cause not many people can rightfully boast such advanced skill on the mic AND behind the boards? (sorry if this is corny, or already common knowledge)
    good question. we'll see...

• TREWTREW 2,037 Posts

I am not sure if that is the reason or if it were something else. I want the truth!

it's not like he never sang on wax before. just sayin', if anything, ceelo should be answering to pharoahe

• what was it like working with justin timberlake? did you get to be in the same room with him or was his part done later?

The single is
    There isn't anything wrong with him singing.
    Didn't you like "The Light"?
    The verse he spat is
    I cant wait for this to drop.

The single is
    There isn't anything wrong with him singing.
    Didn't you like "The Light"?
    The verse he spat is
    I cant wait for this to drop.

then you sir are alone Kidding. The light was cool, but it wasn't 90% singing and 10% rap. Push is 90% singing and 10% rap... And really as a singer he can pull it off occasionally but as a singer, overall I am not looking for him to be that.

I'd be more concerned if his rappin had fell off which isn't the case.
    I'd definitely take his 10% over most rappers 100% any day.
    i'm just worried about what the D12 people gave him to rap over.

I'd be more concerned if his rappin had fell off which isn't the case.
    I'd definitely take his 10% over most rappers 100% any day.
    i'm just worried about what the D12 people gave him to rap over.

Oh yeh i don't think his rapping has fallen off. He is one of the rappers that "has it" ie. KRS-ONE, Big Daddy Kane etc. They don't lose it. However they are not immune to making bad decisions about the direction they take their music in (and have taken it in) and as a first single this is not really a good look IMO.

• mordecaimordecai 2,204 Posts
    yeh, the single wasn't really my flava either, but its still not garbage.

dude was half asleep but understandably given his radio/club promo schedule. still cool tho.
    i gotta work on editing pre-recorded interviews, but i think we covered most of yall's questions...

peep:
    http://www.doublestandardcrew.com/inthegroove/latest.html
    interview is at the start of Part 2

thanks to Magnetic for already checkin' it.