PB Wolf's new video-DJ set?

tonyphronetonyphrone 1,500 Posts
edited October 2006 in Strut Central
Who's seen this? From him it could be

Comments

• http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GI08GME9B0w&mode=related&search=

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b3idZjxhzLQ&mode=related&search=

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0aBQ5YJjYZY&mode=related&search=

I don't think these clips really show what he's probably doing. I didn't go to the show. I don't know, maybe it's just basically blends and juggles with the videos.

Technology is moving too quick to keep up with it.

It's funny to hear everyone sing along on the Pharcyde video. This last clip has some great crowd reaction too. Pretty funny that PBW played this at a big hip hop show, but props to him.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fixAbM1EDb4

• cascas 1,484 Posts
    relm fucks with this too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r-w7aYK5asA

i saw his live set using the vj thingamajig a little while back. it's cool to watch this stuff for like 10 mins. if you had the time to overdub video clips with different beats and shit it would be dope for provinding visuals for blends and stuff, but the scratching novelty wears off really quick for me.

not dissing, just saying.

• Didn't know he was getting into the vj side of things. I saw Shadow use a video setup at the Quannum tour a whiiiile ago, and while it was kinda cool as a novelty, it was pretty much just that. I'd be interested to hear/see what PB Wolf does with it. I totally agree that editing video to exisiting songs and then using that as a visual for blends/juggles/scratches seems the best way to do this. The "watch me cut up dialogue from a blaxploitation movie ALONG WITH THE PICTURE!" gets old kinda quick.

Technology's a motherfuck.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    id kinda rather just watch a movie or have a dj just play a good party set

• its as good as expected, good music, good videos,
    i just saw it the other night but madib canceled, so the show was not as good as it could have been.
    None the less Percee p was enough to make my 8 bucks worth it (8 because of madlib no show)
    I would say if you have the oppurtunity it is worth it:
    chicago, detriot, toronto, montrael, boston, NYC, philadelphia, baltimore 28th-6th right now!
    And i dont go to many show because they are usually lame.

• i saw coldcut do the same thing in the late 90's..
    i bet the technology available today makes it aloooot easier to do.

• d_wordd_word 666 Posts
    Saw PBW in Vancouver on Saturday. Cut Chemist used the same tech for his show on Tuesday - but he also videotaped the crowd and 'scratched' their shoutouts afterwards.

Nothing too mindbending about the tech but it was alright. PBW show is always a great night anyways.

• DjArcadianDjArcadian 3,630 Posts
    Saw PBW in Vancouver on Saturday. Cut Chemist used the same tech for his show on Tuesday - but he also videotaped the crowd and 'scratched' their shoutouts afterwards.

I saw his set at the Apple store in SF. I've seen Shadow us the video scratching thing before. Wwwwway too gimmicky. The problem is with skratching you're typically just playing with a fraction of a second of sound. Well, a fraction of a second of video being skratched is just annoying. Basically seeing someone go backwards and forwards quickly. It would be cool if someone loaded up hundreds of music videos and played a whole set with them but then people would be too distracted and not dancing.

Most of the custom made stuff I've seen being played behind DJs just amounts to a motion collage. Like people masturbating with Adobe After Effects (or whatever they use). I don't think I've ever seen video used at a show which left me genuinely impressed.

• cpeetzcpeetz 2,112 Posts
    That shit is super annoying if you ask me.
    I watch plenty of TV at home, why would I want to
    watch TV when I'm at a club?

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    Sorry guys, looks like we're out of room in the

I wouldn't shed one tear in bucket over this...
    Just saying it ain't my thing.
    But we all know there's no accounting for taste.

• dayday 9,611 Posts

I wouldn't shed one tear in bucket over this...
    Just saying it ain't my thing.
    But we all know there's no accounting for taste.

That wasn't directed to you. It just so happened you were the last person to post and I responded.

The whole thing is not a big deal to me, but people try to find ways to entertain people and it seems like you gotta light yourself on fire just to impress people. It's never enough.
    I guess it's easy to sit and watch a minute long youtube clip and critique someone.

• [quote
    ..It would be cool if someone loaded up hundreds of music videos and played a whole set with them but then people would be too distracted and not dancing.

...Most of the custom made stuff I've seen being played behind DJs just amounts to a motion collage. Like people masturbating with Adobe After Effects (or whatever they use). I don't think I've ever seen video used at a show which left me genuinely impressed.
    You kind of answered your 2nd point with your 1st. I think the reason so much of it falls into early 90's "visualization" film clip steeze, is because anything more notable DOES stop people from dancing. So its kind of a fine line you walk between making something cool, and making something that overshadows the act you are trying to compliment (ie the sound element)

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts
    i saw coldcut do the same thing in the late 90's..

Yeah, didn't they actually develop their own software for it back then?

seems like you gotta light yourself on fire just to impress people.

Are you thinking about setting yourself on fire!
    Now that would be a DJ set worth seeing!

• its the Pioneer DVJ player...

• bthavbthav 1,538 Posts
    im more down with dj/live video collabs. those seem more entertaining, and less intrusive on the music side of things. you get to choose that way, rather than feel like your missing out on someshit by dancing.

all in all technology sucks. mothers of invention are all rolling in there graves.

• seems like you gotta light yourself on fire just to impress people.

did someone say fire???

• seems like you gotta light yourself on fire just to impress people.

did someone say fire???

• montymonty 420 Posts

did someone say fire???

Bah! Been done...

• tonyphronetonyphrone 1,500 Posts
    I HAVE TO SAY IN GENERAL, IT WOULD PROBABLY MAKE ME WANT TO WATCH MORE THAN DANCE.

• it looks like pb wolf is trying this out for the first time. there are djs who make this look a lot better. mike relm takes this whole concept much further and there are a load of other djs who do the same.

within a few years, every major club is gonna have a setup that allows you to incorporate video. dvjs are expensive but Microwave will eventually allow u to use video, some of their competitiors already do.

i'm looking forward to seeing dudes get more creative with this.

• it looks like pb wolf is trying this out for the first time. there are djs who make this look a lot better. mike relm takes this whole concept much further and there are a load of other djs who do the same.

word. Dj Yoda is touring with a VJ set too. It's a bit better than PBW's set cos Yoda has his own videos for each of his tunes. I was plastered so u cant remember it too good but it was pretty dope. I think.

I agree though in general VJ sets aren't all that, it'll probably die out in a couple years

Okay, the Oh Face was pretty funny....

..It would be cool if someone loaded up hundreds of music videos and played a whole set with them but then people would be too distracted and not dancing.

...Most of the custom made stuff I've seen being played behind DJs just amounts to a motion collage. Like people masturbating with Adobe After Effects (or whatever they use). I don't think I've ever seen video used at a show which left me genuinely impressed.

You kind of answered your 2nd point with your 1st. I think the reason so much of it falls into early 90's "visualization" film clip steeze, is because anything more notable DOES stop people from dancing. So its kind of a fine line you walk between making something cool, and making something that overshadows the act you are trying to compliment (ie the sound element)

People will stop dancing or stop feeling/focusing on the music regardless of what's put on the screen unless it's some totally ambient Winamp/laser-show type display. A better way to phrase it would be that I've never seen anything that was worth distracting the crowd over.

At any rate the Blaxploitation, Bollywood, Evil Knievel shit has got to go.

• twoplytwoply Only Built 4 Manzanita Links 2,914 Posts
    I HAVE TO SAY IN GENERAL, IT WOULD PROBABLY MAKE ME WANT TO WATCH MORE THAN DANCE.

Have you ever been to a Stones Throw show?

• cascas 1,484 Posts

The whole thing is not a big deal to me, but people try to find ways to entertain people and it seems like you gotta light yourself on fire just to impress people.

...or get some guys into self mutalation to jab meat hooks thru their backs and kneecaps and swing from the rafters a'la dibbs.

fun shit.

• LordNOLordNO 202 Posts

i saw coldcut do the same thing in the late 90's..

Yeah, didn't they actually develop their own software for it back then?

Yeah. I believe it came with a cd or some sh*t right? I have no further info on that, just a vague recollection..

Yeah the VJ things sucks for the most part. but give it a little time. people will learn to flip it. What you need is Microwave w/ video, each music file has highly edited footage tailored to the music , hundreds of files and skilled djs doing doubles, etc of the tune/highly developed video piece.

Right now it's mad crude cause the relationship between the music and image is arbitrary. a clip pasted on.

Basically I think we're in the Atari stage of VJing right now.

• i saw that dude from s.f do this...mike something, asian cat.
    got bored reeeal quick tho..gimmicks.