PLAESE HELP WITH MY DJ SET (RR)

kennykenny 1,024 Posts
edited April 2005 in Strut Central
hi.so i have a chance to spin at the end of this month at this 'hip' spot, not really a dance club, more like a dance/chill lounge type of joint, and as expected, i'll be closing the night off from 2am to 4am. just wanted to get some ideas from you guys. should i just hit them hard right at the start and gradually slowing it off ? or should i do it the other way of starting off slow and gradually building the set up ? (it's too late to be building up i thought)here's a part of what i'll be playing (rough): 1. madlib "slim's return"2. robert palmer "work to make it work"3. jill scott "loce rain" (headnod remix)4. keyco "spiral squall" (dj tonk remix)5. love unlimited orchestra "strange game and things"6. jimmy smith "i'm gonna love you just a little bit more"7. roy ayers "black five"8. reuben wilson "in the back, in the corner"......(then going into some ATCQ, Phracyde, instrumentals and sugar hills) it doesn't feel too right to me at the moment, i'm thinking its a bit too slow and smooth to be starting at 2am dudes or dudettes might be bored ALREADY.but anyhow, your ideas, comments, critics, beat-downs are all appreciated. thanks in advance.

Comments

• Bring a few crates of records, and just feel out the crowd. If everything is dying down, play some chill stuff for them to hang out to... If they are still in party mode, hit em with beats.

I never plan (it works for me 55% of the time!) ...

Peace...
    FM

• Damn, an 2-4 spot at a NON dance club. I really wouldnt stress. You could fucking whisper your own slam poetry in the mic and no one would probably care. Im with Funky Mim. Just bring a few crates, and get loose. Thats a tough spot, 2-4.

• Personally, if I had that spot, I'd try to hit the crowd with stuff they've never heard before or are bound to ever hear again. That time of night at a speakeasy type joint, the crowd is ripe for that experience.

Feel it out as far as starting hard or building up from the chill to the trill. If I had to do it, here are some selections that would be in that crate.....

"Mary, don't take me on no bad trip" - Fugi

"Done got Good to me pt2" - Bobby Rush

"Maria" - JD & the Evil's Dynamite Band

"Wahoo, Wahoo, Wahoo" - Wayne Carter

"Sondra" - Acres of Grass

"If I live" - Crystal Mansion

"Today" - Jefferson Airplane

"In the Space" - Cam Library (Rhyhmic Modern LP)

"Sing Swan Song" - Can

"Wake up Brothers" - Doug Hammond

"Pride and Joy Rock" - Big Youth

"Dedicate All my Love" - Raw Soul Express

"It's no Secret" - Joann Garrett

"Magic pt 2" - General Lee

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    Just play records that you think will make the people happy to listen to.

• I always close out the night with classics. The end of the night is my favorite time. My feet hurt, I'm tired, half-drunk, but thats the only time I really get to play my all time favorite shit.

• im wearing those Terminators right now.

• and isnt it "Hollywood Colt"?

• djdaydjday 2 Posts
    Moving....

This:

Personally, if I had that spot, I'd try to hit the crowd with stuff they've never heard before or are bound to ever hear again. That time of night at a speakeasy type joint, the crowd is ripe for that experience.

Feel it out as far as starting hard or building up from the chill to the trill.

and this:

Just play records that you think will make the people happy to listen to.

is good advice.

I think at that point it can go 2 ways - either people will be on dance mode or zombie mode so bring all of the above. It's better to bring more than you need and not play it than to need it and not have it. Even if your back tells you differently.

My $.02

• kennykenny 1,024 Posts
    no doubt!

thanks for all the advices anyhow.

• kennykenny 1,024 Posts

"Mary, don't take me on no bad trip" - Fugi

"Done got Good to me pt2" - Bobby Rush

"Maria" - JD & the Evil's Dynamite Band

"Wahoo, Wahoo, Wahoo" - Wayne Carter

"Sondra" - Acres of Grass

"If I live" - Crystal Mansion

"Today" - Jefferson Airplane

"In the Space" - Cam Library (Rhyhmic Modern LP)

"Sing Swan Song" - Can

"Wake up Brothers" - Doug Hammond

"Pride and Joy Rock" - Big Youth

"Dedicate All my Love" - Raw Soul Express

"It's no Secret" - Joann Garrett

"Magic pt 2" - General Lee

just had a chance to peep some of those joints, mind officially blown

(especially the top few 45s, insane!)

cheers...

• OneSoulOneSoul 206 Posts

1. madlib "slim's return"

you know what's kinda fresh is if you pick up the 3 Sounds LP that has 'the look of slim' on it, play that and then play that madlib joint, real easy to do, but comes off nice.

After picking up the original, I feel bad for thinking that 'slim's return' was so dope, in fact Gene Harris gets all the credit, madlib didn't really do shit except for add some heavier drums and a few scratches.

sorry for the tangent, look for the OG, good luck with your set...

-B-