hiphop production reached its apex 10 years ago

DIGGADIGGADIGGADIGGA 456 Posts
edited March 2016 in Music Talk
i mean c'mon,whats so innovative about it now?!?!?!ish sounds like thuged out new wave music.despite what the roots might do,synth horns are very annoying!!!keep sampling alive and pay the dam artist.

Comments

• djsheepdjsheep 3,620 Posts
    :5pager:

and finally

• doomdoom 305 Posts
    hiphop production hasnt reached its apex yet

• The Raise UpThe Raise Up Golden Years... wah wah wah 452 Posts
    Maybe we need more guys channeling Bob Marley with their guitar?

• HawkeyeHawkeye 896 Posts
    synth horns are very annoying!!!

I remember when back in the days they put snyth horns on top of beatboxes like the DMX or something else. I hated it back than and I still hate it.

But everything goes in a cycle. After the horrible "synth horn" phase came the sample phase with all the dope shit we love.

Be patient and you get what you want !!!!!!!!!

Peace
    Hawkeye

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    But this came out 13 years ago...

• wooshiewooshie 490 Posts
    Yeah well, you know, that's just like your opinion man

• Yeah well, you know, that's just like your opinion man

Top marks!

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    I don't believe I've ever seen anybody identify 1996 as the apex of hip-hop production before...

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    despite what the roots might do

No wonder youve made this question.

• MjukisMjukis 1,675 Posts
    I don't believe I've ever seen anybody identify 1996 as the apex of hip-hop production before...

Yeah, what's up with that? I thought it was common knowledge it reached it's pinnacle in 1998.

• piedpiperpiedpiper 1,279 Posts
    keep sampling alive

I like sampling a lot, but what??s innovative about that?
    I don??t think that hip-hop production is not innovative nowadays, but I do think that it could be more innovative.

• theory9theory9 1,128 Posts
    Yeah well, you know, that's just like your opinion man

• Yeah well, you know, that's just like your opinion man

heretoforwith this guy should be referred to as "The Dude"...just my opinion though...

oh, and you are out of your element Donny...

• !!!keep sampling alive
    So you're saying Puffy's sample thick, shiny suit production was the pinnacle?

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    obviously ain't not heard them beatz on the lil scurappy ablum

• !!!keep sampling alive

who isn't? I mean...really...who can deny such wisdom???

• I don't believe I've ever seen anybody identify 1996 as the apex of hip-hop production before...

Maybe around '97 with RZA and Wu Tang Forever, Bobby Digital an them albums there was a peak. There's still room for growth within sampling as shown by people who still do it after 2000 like Hi-Tek, Dr. Dre, Havoc, Alchemist, Nicolay and others. But people try to push the hip hop sound too much towards pop or R&B and it ends up sounding too clean, soft and corny.

For me '97 represented a peak in the sound of hip-hop, but also was the beginning of this irratating phase we're in now where there's artists out there who are labeled as "hip-hop" but they're rhymin' over clean, soft-sounding R&B type beats (ie: Fabolous, Chingy, Puffy, Nelly, Ja Rule). These fools are all in the spotlight and labeled as the "new sound of hip-hop" while people who keep the traditional elements of the raw sampling sound get overlooked and called "old".

It's sick'ning to me. If we're gonna continue to call this music hip-hop it shouldn't get so watered down with those other elements that don't belong.

P.S., what ever happened to the early 90's R&B appreciation thread here on Soul Strut, that was great!

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    this is the funniest thread i've read all day

• MjukisMjukis 1,675 Posts
    Bobby Digital an them albums
    there was a peak.

there was a peak.

there was a peak.

• wooshiewooshie 490 Posts
    Bobby Digital?

• DrJoelDrJoel 932 Posts
    I like sampling a lot, but what??s innovative about that?

I dunno, maybe taking what was available (parents and friends record collections) and using them to emulate what may not have been available (drum kits, horn players, etc) to create a new form of music, that's kinda innovative i guess. Mind you this was a couple years before Bobby Digital.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,896 Posts
    !!!keep sampling alive

I dun understand why people always bring up puffy. I've always been under the impression that puffy just pays people to produce everything. And he just sticks his name in the production credits. Where dudes like Chucky did 99% of the shit and Puff would come in and say, turn the bass up and take his credit.

• kalakala 3,358 Posts
    bobby digital took an enema

bobby digital and them is an enema

bobby digital took an enema and it is now a terd in the staten island bay

bobby digital took an bloody enema and is it is wrapped inside a steamer terd
    at the mafia owned clam shack off hylan blvd

• DrJoelDrJoel 932 Posts
    !!!keep sampling alive

I dun understand why people always bring up puffy. I've always been under the impression that puffy just pays people to produce everything. And he just sticks his name in the production credits. Where dudes like Chucky did 99% of the shit and Puff would come in and say, turn the bass up and take his credit.

This was in a magazine a while back, wasn't it? Vibe maybe? I remember reading something about Puffy walking into the studio, listening to a track and having them add a snare hit here and there and that was that.

• sticky_dojahsticky_dojah New York City. 2,136 Posts

Maybe around '97 with RZA and Wu Tang Forever, Bobby Digital an them albums there was a peak. There's still room for growth within sampling as shown by people who still do it after 2000 like Hi-Tek, Dr. Dre, Havoc, Alchemist, Nicolay and others. But people try to push the hip hop sound too much towards pop or R&B and it ends up sounding too clean, soft and corny.

For me '97 represented a peak in the sound of hip-hop, but also was the beginning of this irratating phase we're in now where there's artists out there who are labeled as "hip-hop" but they're rhymin' over clean, soft-sounding R&B type beats (ie: Fabolous, Chingy, Puffy, Nelly, Ja Rule). These fools are all in the spotlight and labeled as the "new sound of hip-hop" while people who keep the traditional elements of the raw sampling sound get overlooked and called "old".

It's sick'ning to me. If we're gonna continue to call this music hip-hop it shouldn't get so watered down with those other elements that don't belong.

This is funny. Where's the torch?

• kalakala 3,358 Posts

This is funny. Where's the torch?

"Don't you think there are too much syth in hiphop nowadays? Let's just keep it reeeeaaaal"

• oripsorips 238 Posts
    My two cents:

Hip hop became corrupted in the mid-90s when R&B beats and overproduced/slick production values diluted the art from from its gritty, funky, dusty-basements beginnings to something that is unlistenable today. Forget the rhyming and rapping aspect of hip hop nowadays: if you can't put your words to good music (ie. music that has soul and comes from the heart) then it's just going to be filed under crap, in my opinion.

Luckily for hip hop, the underground scene is where the listenable music is at right now (Stones Throw, Ubiquity, Rhymesayers, etc.)

My two cents:

Hip hop became corrupted in the mid-90s

Please, another torch for the man! And HipHop became corrupted in the late 70s already.

• !!!keep sampling alive

You dun understand humor neither?