THE WINE THREAD

2»

Comments

• JimBeamJimBeam Seattle. 2,012 Posts

M**k: these wines are great. If you have large amounts of cash, go for their "9" series... but it's crazy expensive. These though, are not bad on the wallet. Usually at BevMo in San Diego... Not around at grocery stores. I think they have a location listing for customers on their website.

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts
    A couple more unopened raers in the cellar!

1964 Chateau Latour:

For Aser, 1971 Chateau Haut-Brion

• I currently prefer Spanish and Portugese stuff, because the quality increased in recent years and it??s not as overprized as a lot of French and Italian stuff.
    Regarding white wine I dig the German stuff, esp. Riesling

LOTS of good Spanish wines that are far cheaper than a lot of the French joints. "Muga Riojas" people.

Good French wine is not expensive. I am drinking a great C??tes du Ventoux right now. Didn't cost more than 5 or 6 Euro. French wine is the best and that's a fact. Don't tell me about Californian or South African or wine, please. Or Riesling!! It's a culture that's running real deep. You can go to any big supermarket at shoppig mall in France and get the best wine. To me it's a beautiful thing how serious and passionate French people are when it comes to wine (and food in general off course).

If you know where to get it, as much as 2 euro is enough for a great spanish wine. 2005 was a good wine year, I bet 2006 too. There's so much wine in France even that it has been decided to transform it into car fuel in order to give it a useful purpose. It in fact is an act of mere environmental consciousness to drink wine, it seems. And isn't it irresistable.

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    A couple more unopened raers in the cellar!

1964 Chateau Latour:

damn, i don't drink wine, but that shit looks kinda raer and good...

what sort of occasion would you pop one of those?

damn, i don't drink wine, but that shit looks kinda raer and good...

what sort of occasion would you pop one of those?

Birthday, Anniversary, etc. You have to also serve a SERIOUS dinner with food that compliments the wine when you open something like these. You don't just open it and drink it. It needs to be an event mayne.

Here's what we popped on New Year's last year,

1985 Cristal:

• BurnsBurns 2,227 Posts
    ANYTHING FROM CHILE!

RECENTLY DRANK:

Los Vascos

HARAS

• my parents were in town and we went out to eat and had an amazing wine i've never had before. def my fave of the moment - Robert Biale Zifandel 2004.

I just got a gift from Capitol Records today - a bottle of Jelly Roll Santa Ynez Valley Syrah. I'll give a full report.

unfortunatley I can't really afford either of these bottles of wine on the regular

• A couple more unopened raers in the cellar!

1964 Chateau Latour:

My pops had a few bottles of the chateau latour and chateau lafite 1961...now that's a certified

too bad he drank the last of them recently. I did however get to have a glass of each

• JRootJRoot 861 Posts
    I got a rack of Willamette Valley Pinot Noirs this weekend. Fuck all that frog juice.

Act like you know.

Lots of producers in the Willamette Valley, some great, many good, and a few actually bad. Tell me more.

JRoot

PS Don't tet Big Chan in the wine department.

How can I score an invite to Mom's crib?

Danno, You are welcome for dinner at Mom's crib anytime you are in the Seattle area. I can't promise we will drink these, but we'll drink something good and Mom's cooking is

• AserAser 2,351 Posts
    I"ve been busy w/ work + grubbing, haven't read too many posts lately. You know I had to reply in here just to say hi to Chan. I will promise to bring a nice bottle for dinner if I ever visit. Maybe not double up Lafite nice [jay-z]dirt off your bottles[/jay-z].

I will hit you w/ pics of stuff I ate recently, w00t.

I"ve been busy w/ work + grubbing, haven't read too many posts lately. You know I had to reply in here just to say hi to Chan. I will promise to bring a nice bottle for dinner if I ever visit. Maybe not double up Lafite nice [jay-z]dirt off your bottles[/jay-z].

I will hit you w/ pics of stuff I ate recently, w00t.

DAMN!!!! THAT is what's really!!!!! Where are those pictures from hommie?

• JESUS F'N KRIST!!!!!!!!!!!
    the dude is buying YELLOW TAIL for F's sake...

wine today does not have to be rare or old to be "good" - (especially if you want something to drink the day you buy it!)

call it crap if ya'll "winestrut" snobs want to, but seriously, stuff like smoking loon, papio, little penguin (just downed half-a-bottle with a nice Trader Joe's terriyaki chicken) is plenty adequate when going for something to have with thursday nite dinner (unless of course you rock French Laundry on a weekday, but still)... speaking of TJ's, come on - Charles Shaw Cab's for 2 bucks???????

now excuse me whilst i get all hobo-like with my TJ's blended whiskey scotch...

• blended scotch...

blended scotch...

LOL!

JESUS F'N KRIST!!!!!!!!!!!
    the dude is buying YELLOW TAIL for F's sake...

wine today does not have to be rare or old to be "good" - (especially if you want something to drink the day you buy it!)

call it crap if ya'll "winestrut" snobs want to, but seriously, stuff like smoking loon, papio, little penguin (just downed half-a-bottle with a nice Trader Joe's terriyaki chicken) is plenty adequate when going for something to have with thursday nite dinner (unless of course you rock French Laundry on a weekday, but still)... speaking of TJ's, come on - Charles Shaw Cab's for 2 bucks???????

now excuse me whilst i get all hobo-like with my TJ's blended whiskey scotch...

Calm down hommie! It's just a bunch of nerds talking wine on the internet. It's not that serious! LOL. Mark started off the thread buy saying "POST UP YOUR FAVES, CHEAP OR NOT." It's fun to give Mark a hard time(no homo) for drinking Yellow Tail. I wish I was a "Wine Snob" but that is far from the truth. You think I drink like a chateau beychevelle with dinner every night? THAT would be the life. French Laundry on a weekday would be nice too! Stop hating. I was drinking a 02 Columbia Crest Merlot last night, far from "rare", and have been drinking lots of $7 to $12 bottles of Spanish reds from the grocery store under my apartment. The Spanish reds in that range are great for something to drink with a normal dinner. I have been posting pictures and stories about rare and expensive wines because it is interesting. Who wants to hear about common stuff you get at the grocery store? You are really gonna get heated when I post a pic and tell the story of the 1986 Chateau Lafite Rothschild Imperial that we drank a couple years ago.

P.S. There is nothing wrong with blended Scotch whiskey. I have been know to drink a J&B on the rocks, but don't tell anyone.

• jaymackjaymack 5,199 Posts
    a bunch of nerds