Ableton Live b/w whatareyouusingtomakemusic?

13»

Comments

• Because my computer recently got destroyed, I am gonna make the jump to Ableton as well, especially since 6 is supped to handle the new interfaces,,, (although I think the software sampler itself is kinda EH sounding...)... dood that I played with in the other night in Pasadena sold me on it, fully. I am gonna sell this shit, with the boxes and manuals and all that... (Kontakt 2, Absynth 3, Reaktor 5 and Battery 2) as a full bundle for $500 so I can get a legit copy of Ableton and a new controller.

• joeblowjoeblow 118 Posts
    Live is quite dope. i'm currently on a legit 5 w/ the trigger finger and am def ready to pop for the upgrade after seeing the new shit. the only thing that bugs me is the swing. just sounds odd to me (not like an MPC). i use iDrum to get around it when i need to. so yes, Live is worth checkin.

• I've been using my Ensoniq EPS 16+ along with Ableton 4.0 for awhile now.

I love Live. I really need to upgrade to Live 6 myself. The new features look great, specially those dealing with film work.

I'm about to get myself an SP-12 as well.

• I'm still using peter quistgard.

• Digital Performer 4.5, ASR-10 (love this), MV-8000 (still havn't come close to mastering this).

Learning DP and it has a really nice sampler in it called Polar that's great for recording passes and then just dumping them to a multitrack sequence. Another nice thing about Digital Perfomer is that the consumer grade product IS the professional grade product and has been used to score some high end stuff.

I also fuck with an ASR-X (actually the one that KG from Cold Crush owned-- funny story) and an SP-505 for just doing stuff straight from my turntable/mixer setup (because it uses basic RCA ins).

Recently got Acid Pro 6 just because I got a laptop and wasn't going to invest in any Digidesign hardware or the M-Audio hardware to get a consumer grade version of Pro-Tools. Haven't really messed around with this yet, but it looks like it should have what I need. I use a Motu Traveler as the audio interface.

• jaymackjaymack 5,199 Posts
    I'm still using peter quistgard.

• DubiousDubious 1,865 Posts
    is there any way to show plugins like theyre supposed look in live?

on the top of the vst's box there are three buttons.. one opens up the parameters in the ableton field, one bypasses it.. the other opens the vsts screen as per normal floating over the window.

6dos - you're making the right move my man... you wont regret it!!

one stop shopping is what its all about.. i much prefer the whole one program to do everything and then concentrate on spending the dough on real world pre's / hardware / studio tools...

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    I love this shit and I am hooked. Every day I've been working and doing things I could never do before.

• is there any way to show plugins like theyre supposed look in live?

on the top of the vst's box there are three buttons.. one opens up the parameters in the ableton field, one bypasses it.. the other opens the vsts screen as per normal floating over the window.

6dos - you're making the right move my man... you wont regret it!!

one stop shopping is what its all about.. i much prefer the whole one program to do everything and then concentrate on spending the dough on real world pre's / hardware / studio tools...

I agree that outboard gear is where its at.

That said, I need one of the newer Allen and Heaths (I think the model is the GL2400 or something like that), a Masterlink, and I still don't have an ADAT.

• I'm surprised so few use Nuendo! Seriously, recording, editing, EQ-ing, slicing, chopping, dicing, axing, whatever you need, that program does it! Highly recommended!

- J

• E_DailyE_Daily 812 Posts
    Can't wait for my dynaudio monitors to come - I better give Live a second chance!

To this day I've basicly tried anything I could get my hands on.
    I started with Cubase VST quite a while ago and hung with that untill I discovered Logic. This app just has it all for me...but my black sunday had to come....Emagic was bought by Apple, so goodbye logic for the pc plattform. Ever since I've been messing with Nuendo which is an incredible program. Its nice for editing/recording/mixing...

Perhaps I'll be able to afford a Mac & Logic in the distant future... till then I guess I'm rocking with good ol' nuendo.

Oh yea, as far as Interfaces go: I took the plunge a few years ago and copped one of these

Low latency, ALOT of inputs AND you can rock with a PCI card with a PC/Mac or get a PCMCIA card and just take it with you on the plane, to the hotel. Whatever. You can just rock a mpc100 a laptop and the multiface and youre set for making music anywhere...

However I never liked the Idea of creating my Music with a mouse & monitor as main tools... So about 5 years ago I got me a 2kxl which I more or less ditched a Year ago due to heavy stability problems (I think I have lost atleast 50 beats on this mofo... )and also because I always felt the 2k sounded hollow, tinny and unnatural.

Since then I've moved back in time and acquired a 3000. I love this baby, it really shakes the ground if you put anything through it. I still use wavelab & nuendo for tracking, mixing and some unprofessional mastering. But thats really all use I have for software since I dislike using VSTis.

Still there is one thing thats 400% facemelting to me when it comes to the world of software. The quality of plugins and emulation of outboard gear like vintage EQs and Comps is amazing nowadays. I couldnt live without my Waves, URS and of course Waves SSL joints.

All that being said, I have much love for software as it allows yout to pretty much do anything your brain can come up with (watch out for the dark side) without spending grand over grand on keyboards samplers and mixers.

But for me it was always a more eyes closed and hands on thing to really feel the music. I've been through some problems within the last year and hardly have time for beats now (also my soundsystem broke down last december and I've been lacking ends to afford anything else but headphones ).

As I said though, it doesnt really matter as long as you get your hands on something that can soak up your ideas. It's not really my favorite piece of gear but I've been rocking at my homie's, scewing with a mpc1000 b/w triton & fantom with no software at all. I love it. Not staring at a screen is a blessing to me.

Perhaps I can glue the 3000 and live together once I receive the new monitors.

This makes me take up a topic someone mentioned above:

I can't stress how important it is to have monitors/speakers YOU KNOW GOOD.
    If its your dads old hifis with a 15 yo sony amp or professional monitors, this is the most important thing if you want to play your music outside your home. No matter how dope your music is - if the mix doesnt translate to other systems nobody is gonna care for it.

I've heard alot and I really mean ALOT of people swearing by live since it came out. I feel this is the first music application for a computer that really allows you to make your music in realtime without the hassle of expensiveness or feeling uncomfortable within the UI.

• I'm still using peter quistgard.

haha. i havent upgraded from cool edit either, although i dont use it to make beats.

someone just sent me a link for a bootlegged version of albeton. if anyone is interested, send me a pm.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    anyone use any of these before? trying to decide on one:

and has anyone used the mpd24 yet? im liking all the knobs and sliders but the x y pad on the korg pads is pretty fucking nice

• snosno 332 Posts
    I think E-mu is definitely out of the question because it's even more plasticky than M-Audio controllers.
    Edirol is known for its solid construction and system stability. That said, CME controllers are slowly creeping up with the sturdy metal chasis, loads of buttons, pads, faders, knobs, transport control (it's important that you do not need to shuttle back and forth between the keyboard and mouse to record a track) for cheap. Plus according to CME's China website, you can trick out the CME controllers' faceplate like those MPCs as well. But I am not sure if Live 6 supports CME controller surface as remote controller yet.

• Speaking of midi controllers...

Does anyone have some opinions on the M-audio Axiom series of midi controllers?

• Is anyone using Cubase 4 or SE 3?
    a friend lives by cubase and loves it.
    what do y'alls think of it?

e z

• I have a smaller version (pcr-m30)of this keyboard and I dig it.For its price you cant go wrong and particulary the knobs and faders come in handy with live. The keys feel good and their sensitivity is adjustable. I had to tweak it a little when i first bought it as some of the faders weren't working with live which was due to a midi configuration issue that was easily fixed after a bit of googling

i own one and use it with reason, logic pro, ptLE 7.0, etc. and it works fine. the semi-weighted action is just that, so if you're looking for something more weighted it probably is better to step it up a notch. personally, i like the aftertouch on this unit (i have the 49-key model) even though it took a little getting used to. the enigma program is a little difficult to get through at first (it helps you map out controls, etc.) and i gave up on it when i could just use the soft-synth (native instruments, arturia, etc.) to map the keys. it doesn't come with a manual, but u can get one online at the m-audio website (same place you download enigma). all in all, i would say if you're a synth person and not a piano person, it's a good way to get by. if you already have pads to control drums, you might want to get a better keyboard without pads. but the pads here are pretty good and mpc-like.

this review will probably help, too

sound on sound review

good luck
    Tab

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    Speaking of midi controllers...

i own one and use it with reason, logic pro, ptLE 7.0, etc. and it works fine. the semi-weighted action is just that, so if you're looking for something more weighted it probably is better to step it up a notch. personally, i like the aftertouch on this unit (i have the 49-key model) even though it took a little getting used to. the enigma program is a little difficult to get through at first (it helps you map out controls, etc.) and i gave up on it when i could just use the soft-synth (native instruments, arturia, etc.) to map the keys. it doesn't come with a manual, but u can get one online at the m-audio website (same place you download enigma). all in all, i would say if you're a synth person and not a piano person, it's a good way to get by. if you already have pads to control drums, you might want to get a better keyboard without pads. but the pads here are pretty good and mpc-like.

sound on sound review

good luck
    Tab

Thanks. I tried to read that review but it said I had to pay

I actually bought one a couple weeks ago and so far it's just what I needed. Only thing I'm having a problem with is the knobs not responding. Everything else (pads, keys, wheels) work fine. Anyone else have this problem?

• i can cut-n-paste the review if you really want to read it but if you have it already, it may be pointless.

i don't know about the knobs not responding. i never had that problem, although they do take some getting used to in terms of ratio of spins to what responds on the screen. are you sure they are assigned to (mapped) to something? does the value change on the blue screen on the axion as you turn them? what host program are you using?

sound on sound review

good luck
    Tab

I actually bought one a couple weeks ago and so far it's just what I needed. Only thing I'm having a problem with is the knobs not responding. Everything else (pads, keys, wheels) work fine. Anyone else have this problem?

for me (using live mostly) i gotta switch between programs 17-20 and midi channels 1 & 16 (just by tapping the +/- buttons) and this takes care of all the controls...its smoove.

i have a live template if you interested...

• dCastillodCastillo 1,963 Posts
    sup day.

anybody here mess around with Kyma?

• sup day.

anybody here mess around with Kyma?

My old roommate has one - he wrote a bunch of the patches that come with the current system release.

It's cool, but you have to be a programmer to get the most out of it. It's more a language than a synthesizer.

At this point, host CPUs are fast enough that I question shelling out a few grand for a native DSP platform. If you want to mess around with that kind of thing it's a lot cheaper to get Max/MSP or Plogue Bidule or Reaktor.

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    Speaking of midi controllers...

sound on sound review

good luck
    Tab

for me (using live mostly) i gotta switch between programs 17-20 and midi channels 1 & 16 (just by tapping the +/- buttons) and this takes care of all the controls...its smoove.

i have a live template if you interested...

Yes indeedy. I'm using program 17 and everything works but those knobs. Tried midi mapping, changing programs etc and nothing has worked.

Skeetch - Nice work on OM's cover, it's dope. Where you been?

• Yes indeedy. I'm using program 17 and everything works but those knobs. Tried midi mapping, changing programs etc and nothing has worked.

day: grab this file here

this is a tutorial for live (5.2.2) prolly still works in 6 if you have that?! it basically tells you how to do a midi dump with your axiom and it replaces programs 18, 19 & 20 on the controller with all the all the proper live bizness. it makes working with live a breeeeeze...its just a matter of knowing what controls are on what pgm. ie, impulse pads on 20, simpler controls on 18 (midi 16)...:ewef:

if that don't work feel free to holla.

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    Yes indeedy. I'm using program 17 and everything works but those knobs. Tried midi mapping, changing programs etc and nothing has worked.

day: grab this file here

this is a tutorial for live (5.2.2) prolly still works in 6 if you have that?! it basically tells you how to do a midi dump with your axiom and it replaces programs 18, 19 & 20 on the controller with all the all the proper live bizness. it makes working with live a breeeeeze...its just a matter of knowing what controls are on what pgm. ie, impulse pads on 20, simpler controls on 18 (midi 16)...:ewef:

if that don't work feel free to holla.

dope! thanks

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    fuck. for some reason it won't let me do a midi dump in the pref. window. I'll keep looking around online to see what the problem is. Thanks for that file tho, it should help once I figure out the configuration.

• dCastillodCastillo 1,963 Posts

At this point, host CPUs are fast enough that I question shelling out a few grand for a native DSP platform. If you want to mess around with that kind of thing it's a lot cheaper to get Max/MSP or Plogue Bidule or Reaktor.

This is exactly what I was thinking. I'm looking to get into something with profound spectral capabilites / FFT synthesis etc. Haven't messed with Reaktor in over 5 years, but it seemed geared more toward FM synthesis. max/msp looks pretty promising, but looks a bit difficult to take on. A nice graphical interface is ideal, but I'm not scared of digging into learning something a bit challenging. I've heard plogue bidule come up a few times, most recently for saving effects chains and such in Ableton, but what kind of use do you get out of it?

• all good.

• At this point, host CPUs are fast enough that I question shelling out a few grand for a native DSP platform. If you want to mess around with that kind of thing it's a lot cheaper to get Max/MSP or Plogue Bidule or Reaktor.

This is exactly what I was thinking. I'm looking to get into something with profound spectral capabilites / FFT synthesis etc. Haven't messed with Reaktor in over 5 years, but it seemed geared more toward FM synthesis. max/msp looks pretty promising, but looks a bit difficult to take on. A nice graphical interface is ideal, but I'm not scared of digging into learning something a bit challenging. I've heard plogue bidule come up a few times, most recently for saving effects chains and such in Ableton, but what kind of use do you get out of it?

Yeah, Reaktor has good sample / granular objects but not much on the spectral side.

Bidule is very similar to Max/MSP - it's a graphical programming environment where you connect little boxes with little lines. The main functional difference is that it doesn't have Max's UI objects, where you can hide your connections and have nice sliders and knobs. In Bidule your patches always look like spaghetti, although it looks like they're trying to address this before they hit v1.0.

On the plus side, Bidule has higher-level spectral objects and is somewhat user-friendlier. You can load it as an AU or VST plugin and just mess around. You can do plugins with Max but not in realtime. I have both, and I find that it's much, much faster to throw things together in Bidule. Max is more mature, but a lot of the code dates back to the 80s and some simple things are really counterintuitive. Give it a shot, there's a free downloadable demo and a full license is something like $75.