Ableton Live b/w whatareyouusingtomakemusic?

Comments

• pjl2000xlpjl2000xl 1,795 Posts
    i use ableton live 6, recycle 2.1, reason 3.0, wavelab, and an mpc2000xl. Basically i sample with wavelab, do all my editing/mixing with ableton and a basic arrangement, then render and chop up in recycle, then open in reason to seq with the mpc 2000. So its like i get to use the mpc to do the final seq'in. But yeah Day to chop in ableton highlight the section you want then right click then split. Then you can drag and drop it everywhere. Hold control while you drag and you can copy pieces. Ableton is seriously some next level shit though. Its real intutive when it comes to production and i like that fact that it is a complete DAW with great effects and vsti. Ive been using it since version 4 and now im real deep into it. The way it allows you to create is like no other machine or software. And when used in conjunction with the mpc its a monster.

• PABLOPABLO 1,921 Posts
    OK you guys are getting me amped up to use Live now.
    It's been on my computer for a year now but I just never opened it up to try out.
    I can use it with my 3000? Bet!
    Can anyone hook me up with the tutorial videos?
    I never see any books for it and I'm not a big fan of reading pages of pdf files on my screen.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    http://www.ableton.com/movies
    http://www.ableton.com/tutorials

the tutorials contained within live were infinitely better than any pdf shit ive fucked with

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    http://www.ableton.com/movies
    http://www.ableton.com/tutorials

the tutorials contained within live were infinitely better than any pdf shit ive fucked with

Yep. Just click "view/Lessons" and you're good to go. I've been seriously bugging on this thing day and night.

Lowendtheory - thanks for that tip. That's exactly what I was trying to figure out. Now I just need to get the drums on full velocity like the MPC and I'll be good.

in impulse there is a setting for velocity. Its usally at like 75%. I love the way my drums sound in impulse. They sound more punchy. And yeah the tutorials in live are real good. It helps orientate to lives wierd layout.

• snosno 332 Posts
    I think the best thing about Ableton Live is that it's great for BOTH production and playing in a live situation. We done all of our stuff on Live 6, Reason, Battery, Atmosphere and Trilogy.
    When we're playing live with Ableton, apart from the usual loop manipulations for each songs, we have set up different synths (be it VSTi or rewired from Reason) and key mapped the "arm" button of each track to corresponding numerical keys, so that we can change and switch up synth sounds (say Electric Piano, bass on Trilogy, wacky synth sound on Kontakt with our MIDI controller or a some abstract horn lines on my Yamaha WX11) with a flick of a key. That is like lugging a rig of synth, and samples all inside a laptop.

• DescryDescry 229 Posts
    mpc4k, cubase, and a roland sp404. it's dopeness.

• Live certainly has many converts of which i am one. I had a friend over who is pretty good on the MPC and we are about to begin a collaboration and hopely get our shit together to do a live show. Live is pretty awesome but can be a resource hog on an older computer and am waiting to get a dual core system and live 6 to really get things happening.I think for me the thing i like is it is relatively easier to get loops in and start making music and sketching ideas.

BTW I downloaded an awesome live five tutorial video off one of the torrent sites. Awesome video (1.5hrs long) and made me realise there is alot more to the program.

• Hardware guys are interested in software...and software guys are wanting more hardware.:) Life is good. But all I want for Christmas is an 8-pack of bass traps and some SERIOUS reference monitors. I think if most of us had those 2 things, we'd all be a lot better off.

• TabaskoTabasko 1,357 Posts
    would you recommend Live if I just wanna makes mixtapes and some simple audio editing?

• DubiousDubious 1,865 Posts
    I've been using live since V1

used to rewire it to protools and then gradually shifted to using live only.

these days Live is the only peace of software i use... well peak for some mastering / editing and i occasionally fire up the arturia moog modular.

personally i record live instruments into live and then quantise it up to taste.. then start slicing. i really like the fact that i can record a super slopy drum session with as many mics as i want.. quantise one track and then apply that to the others.

• bthavbthav 1,538 Posts
    I've been using live since V1

finally!

• doomdoom 305 Posts
    ok so right now i dont have my samplers or anything just the computer since i just moved. im using wavelab to record samples and sometimes chop if its smaller stuff. short braekbeatraers... recycle if its long ones.. and... wait for it............................................... fruityloops to produce.

cubase crashed for some reason and doest load up anymore.. and i dont want to install it again. thinking about moving to either protools or nuendo. any recommendations? i have an m-audio soundcard so i can use that cracked version of protools. anyways i quite like fruity, i like the sampler like functions and the fact that it shows vst plugins, like real vst plugins.. is there any way to show plugins like theyre supposed look in live? thats one part i didnt like. and the other one was that i didnt like the way it handled oneshot samples and how you chopped longer ones.. it mainly slowed my process down. i probably need to watch some of those lessons again.

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts
    The base setup for all my music making is:

A powerbook running Logic/Recycle/Kontakt + a bunch of soft instruments and old/new hard instruments.

I love Logic, and I find it really easy to use, but then again I've been using that school of software for close to 10 years, so it's no biggie for me. I came up on all sorts of sequencers, from the drum-machine step sequencers in my old Rolands to the (pain-in-the-ass) internal sequencer in the ASR-10, to the whole cubase/logic/cakewalk/nuendo software thing. I've tried Live as well. I know a lot of people who love it, but it wasn't for me.

Sampler-wise, I just switched from the Creamware STS-4000 to Kontakt, and I'm pretty happy with it so far. As soon as I finish my last exam on the 1st, I'm going back into lab mode to explore it's features more extensively.

• dCastillodCastillo 1,963 Posts
    anybody know of a VSTi that can act exactly like simpler?

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    I have Protools via Digi001, a Juno106, ASR10, MPC2000. Basically just use the ASR as and effects processor for the Juno. The MPC is mostly for drums, but sometimes i like writing whole tracks in song mode. Something about that interface makes me more creative.

• pacmanpacman 1,114 Posts
    I just got Reason and the M-Audio Oxygen 8, so I'm learning those out. I chop in SoundForge, sequence in Making Waves, EQ every now and again in Adobe Audition, and I have Acid Pro but hardly use it....Speaking of which..

Have any of you used Making Waves? Easiest sequencer I've ever used hands down.

• While we're on the topic of controllers, anyone use one of these?

The controller I have now is pretty basic (read: shitty) and I was reeeeeeeeal close to buying one last night. The new versoin of Ableton has this and other controllers pre-mapped.

Brian - what I've been doing so far is programming my drums and samples in the MPC, then recording each section into Sound Forge and arranging in Ableton. It might sound like a pain, but I can do things now I could never do just recording to my 16 track. Combine that with all the effects, infinite tracks, soft sythns etc and it's pretty much all I need. Plus I can record any instruments I have and loop sections or play a piece out and drop it anywhere I want to. I also heard syncing MIDI with this and the 1000 is pretty easy and seems to work well for alot of people.

Most of these programs (Sonar, Cakewalk, Cubase, Logic etc.) do the same thing more or less with a few variations, right?
    I know some people look at Ableton like a kids thing, but it's done everything I could want and then some - and I haven't even begun to get into the actual "Live" part of it yet.

I have it and I love it. I had the 61key radium and I prefer this. I dig the semi weighted keys. It makes a Huge difference. honestly I can see the point of more than 25 keys if your dont get busy on a keyboard. I know a few chords but mostly play and hope it sounds good.

Making waves! Do they still make this? I remember this program from the late 90s.

• pacmanpacman 1,114 Posts

Making waves! Do they still make this? I remember this program from the late 90s.

Yep.....I think they're almost at v5 now.

kontakt, sampletank, halion, any vst sampler is more like the new sampler in ableton, but does the basic functions of simpler.
    A very good comparison is reasons nn19. You can just throw a sample onto it and it chromatically maps it for you. It has the exact functions of simpler. Just rewire it into ableton.

kontakt, sampletank, halion, any vst sampler is more like the new sampler in ableton, but does the basic functions of simpler.
    A very good comparison is reasons nn19. You can just throw a sample onto it and it chromatically maps it for you. It has the exact functions of simpler. Just rewire it into ableton.

I really never fucked with re-wiring. How would I do that, say re-wire Ableton 6 into Acid? Sounds like something I will need to be doing normally.

• bozakbozak 334 Posts
    I am able to get my ideas down and flushed out much easier on FL studio 6 xxl then anything else Ive tried. I got it the same week as my 2000xl about 5 years ago and gravitated towards using the program moreso because of vst instruments and effects (didnt have money for additional outboard). Now I know it inside and out and can tell you its no toy for sure. I had a two week tutorial of logic recently and while I am very interested in pursuing that program furthur I can tell you that I didnt discover any capabilities that would lead me to drop FL right now.

that being said I am real interested in trying to wrap my head around ableton. I am interested in using it in some kind of live mixing application. I like the idea of being able to do complex multitrack-style mixtapes live and improvised.

the ultimate ableton live midi controller: allen & heath xone 3d mixer

google that sucker

im not to familar with acid. i used to use 4.0 breifly but it should be the same for any software. You just throw down an audio track and have its input come from, instead of your soundcards inputs, a rewire device such as ableton. to do it in abelton though, just drop an audio track, opne the rewire device, then just enable the track to have input from it.

The way rewire works though is you have a host and a slave. The host has to be opened first then open the slave. So if you want acid to be the host, open it then open ableton. Then albetons outputs will come through acid.

• z_illaz_illa 867 Posts

these days Live is the only peace of software i use...

Yes. One program. You all wish you had that right? And I personally love the sound it puts out.

I also use a mpd and a keystation with it.

day, mess with sampler some. impulse has become almost useless for me.

• slushslush 691 Posts
    guys i just did a soundtrack to a short film in ableton 6 with the video function playing synced. its a small but lovely new feature

6 has this managing of files too that saves some time... they definitely upped their database game with this one

another big plus is the ability to save vst's linked with ableton effects as one solid rack. I use reaktor, and it quicksaved the ENTIRE module with no hassle. this is a big deal for me, as previous versions I had to do all the loading of saved modules within reaktor. i can rapidly add crazy effects now to all tracks. its a huge time saver

cosmo, i can give you a pretty good demo at krudmart or after, if we're not all completely fucked out of our minds

• kalakala 3,361 Posts
    every studio i work in has pro tools
    the industry standard
    i am a power user and i have no remorse in saying i FUCKING HATE PRO TOOLS
    even with expensive apogee converters it's stiff
    it's so ..... sterile but accurate.
    i still love tape-and then edit in pt
    i love nuendo and it sounds really warm to my ears but its not a standard yet

omfs/ptools7/dual processors+ssl=$$$$$

mpc,asr,reason,sp1200,etc on lock
    fiddled with live- looks like fun
    need to play with kontack and battery
    i just got reaktor but haven't the time to read the book[s] it came with or do a proper install
    i like native instruments stuff a lot
    also use logic/audacity/wavelab/soundforge/cool edit

• magpaulmagpaul 1,314 Posts
    from the sounds of this ableton live i might have to make the switch.
    but in the means time, i'm rocking Fruity Loops w/ Phatmatik Pro which despite it's terrible name is the illest VST sampler on the market. i've seriously not seen any shit that comes close and i recommend it to anyone.

apart from that i have much fun with my recently acquired Roland Fantom X-6 which doubles as a sound module in conjuction with the MIDI Out plugin in Fruity as well as being a great controller cos of its glowing orange drum pads.

but on tops of that i like the following VSTs: PSP VintageWarmer/Waves Platinum Bundle/Korg Legacy Synth Collection/Stylus RMX.

• I use Live too, I like it to some degrees but dont feel Im really pushing as far as I could. That might have something to do with the fact that my fucked up mac goes to sleep no matter what every 4 minutes. But seriously, i really hate the warp function. It sounds like shit to me. Other than that I love it.

BUT YO, WHAT ARE PEOPLE USING to INTERFACE FOR LIVE?????????

I gotta get an interface next. Im using a mpc and need some eight in usb out shit. HELP A CRUSTY COMPUTER ILLERATE PERSON OUT!!! You know what Im doing? Im tracking out individually to a recordable cd, and laying each track one at a time in LIVE!!!

WHAT ARE PEOPLE USING TO INTERFACE?????

Im so lost, please help.