Teach your girl to dig.

TabaskoTabasko 1,357 Posts
edited May 2005 in Record Collecting
My girlfriend takes trips throughout Europe and outside on a regular base.. And I always ask her to check recordshops for me as she's in foreign countries and cities. But my girl has no knowledge whatsoever when it comes to reckords.. so I always try to give her some basic diggingtips. Like: Look for labels like Impulse or CTI.Or look for reckords from the seventies.., or just try to buy 'cool looking covers' Sofar she brought me home some pretty good stuff (The highlight being: Makossa Man from Manu DiBango on decca (sgalp 1715) which she brought from South Africa.)and lots of SHITE offcourse.. But its cool that she tries, and its always exciting to see her come home with a baggie with 10 records from where-ever. Feels like a foreign dollarbin just walked in your front door, nahmean?Any of you have similar issues? What kind of tips you give your GF?

Comments

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    What kind of tips you give your GF?
    stay away from records. you don't want whatever illness i have.

• AlGarthAlGarth 353 Posts
    Give her a list. Tell her to show it to the shop owners, but don't let them keep it.
    Keep the list 1 page and well varied. Also put the max price that you/she should pay. If they don't have the exact titles tell her to ask for similar suggestions etc.. If she really gets into it, she will soon learn to recognize the difference between common and rare.

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    forget it, the last thing we need it more diggers

• Options
    You sell don't you, Mark? Call me silly, but I wish the world was flooded wtih rookie diggers.

K.

You sell don't you, Mark? Call me silly, but I wish the world was flooded wtih rookie diggers.

K.

no, no you don't

• MjukisMjukis 1,675 Posts
    A female friend of mine went to Bulgaria to visit her brother. She's into music (but she ain't got THE DISEASE like me) so I just said: "Look out for any 70's jazz LPs in the record stores". She asked an old guy about that, and he pulled out two albums with some nice stuff on them. She got them real cheap and gave them to me. Sometimes everything just works out nicely.

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts
    (paging DJ Sheep)

• CosmophonicCosmophonic 1,172 Posts
    I "taught" one of my friends to dig, and I think I??ve created a monster. Proceed with caution, before you know it she??ll be snatching the raers from under your nose!

- J

• TabaskoTabasko 1,357 Posts
    I "taught" one of my friends to dig, and I think I??ve created a monster. Proceed with caution, before you know it she??ll be snatching the raers from under your nose!

- J

nah. She wont, she's really not intrested in records. She's just doing it cause I ask her nicely.

So Im not really 'teaching' her, just try to give her pointers.

• lotuslandlotusland 740 Posts
    sound kind of sketchy. girlfirends and records usually don't mix well.
    might not be the best idea to try to teach her to hard. just kind of throw some ideas at her, and expect nothing.

that said: some dude on this board had a story about his girl going to the thrift store, and picking up a copy of nico gomez "the ritual" lp. so miracles can happen...

but just imagine if she spends some money on some bullshit for you. could be a damper.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    this thread is lame.

• SoulhawkSoulhawk 3,197 Posts
    this thread is lame.

are you objecting to the whole "girls & records are like oil & water" thing?

My girlfriend has pulled all sorts of oddities - bollywood soundtracks & stuff like that from porch sales.

---

• Options
    Yup.

Look for labels like Impulse or CTI.

sometimes the "I got mad CTI records, yo" stereotype of soulstrut is disturbingly accurate...

---

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts
    this thread is lame.

Co-sign

• tripledoubletripledouble 7,636 Posts
    hahaha , this reminds me of when i first started digging id see japanes dudes on the westcoast with their ladies flipping for them! one guy would just watch and tell her which ones to pull!!!! man, i dont know what they did to have that kind ofrelationship be functional....fuck all that. record collecting is fucked up and corny. fuck all yall

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    Look for labels like Impulse or CTI.

sometimes the "I got mad CTI George Shearing and Enoch Light records, yo" stereotype of soulstrut is disturbingly accurate...

---

• bluesnagbluesnag 1,285 Posts
    fuck all that. record collecting is fucked up and corny. fuck all yall

>>location

fuck all that. record collecting is fucked up and corny. fuck all yall

CO-SIGN.

---

hmm.
    I dont think you are catching my drift.
    Im not teaching my girl how to dig.. Im just trying to make the best of her time abroad. That WHEN she's is in a recordstore doing me a favor she will not bring me back George Shearing and Enoch Light records.

And its more a matter of... ah fuck it.. I'll just start some PAPthread...

chills
    just send her a wantlist and tell her to hit some shops if she has time

saying

• bthavbthav 1,538 Posts
    this thread is lame.

huge cosign...

i hate to be the pc police, but this thread screams sexism. my sister constantly amazes me with her wax selections.

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts
    that said: some dude on this board had a story about his girl going to the thrift store, and picking up a copy of nico gomez "the ritual" lp.

Ahem...

(paging DJ Sheep)

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    I wish I could teach my girl to dig. Shit it would take too long for her to learn something she's not too interested in...especially after all those times I made her come digging with me...ECAEP

• KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts
    My girl digs for me too on the regular, but wehave this system where she attains what she thinks might be good, and then calls me to clarrify, which irons out all the wack rekkids she might pick up. The thing is though, that like anyone, she gets better as time goes on (no sex). I make her look at my aussie collection so she knows the kinds of things to keep an eye out for. She hasn't come up on any super-heat, but she's picked up quite a few cool bits for me over the last year.

Last week a got extra copies of some good aussie records and a US press of Michal Urbaniak - Fusion Atma LP which i was happy about.

• BamboucheBambouche 1,484 Posts
    this thread is lame.

Canada has you working today?

My girl taught me how to dig...

(for shoes that were out of stock in every store on the eastern seabord)

• djsheepdjsheep 3,620 Posts
    (paging DJ Sheep)

Yeah my girlfriend killed it that one day, she found Nico Gomez - Ritual, I mean, I told her NOT to buy records about 30 minutes before she came home with it... it's a miracle actually! She hates me, I just rocked up from Japan to her new crib with about 1500 records!

Personally, well about 90% of the time, I despise relationships where both parties are into the same shit, it's all good if ya'll were both into it before you met, but it's wack when your girl hops on the bandwagon to be "DOWN" for her man... even worse is when you girl tags along with you and gets in with your circle of peoples and trys to "drop science" and ends up sounding like a retard... so many chicks in the hip-hop scene are like that, and now I'm noticing digging "couples" becoming more prevelant. I mean, whatever really... just my 2 cents. I'm glad my girl doesn't dig and just really pulled that one record out for me, dope!

peace.

• Im[/b] just trying to make the best of her[/b] time abroad.

Why don't you let her[/b] make the most of her time abroad?

• Young_PhonicsYoung_Phonics 8,039 Posts
    Im[/b] just trying to make the best of her[/b] time abroad.

real talk

Im[/b] just trying to make the best of her[/b] time abroad.

[sarcasm]nah man, I'll rather have her slave around recordstores and thrifts 24/7, cause thats just the type of guy ?? am...[/sarcasm]

delete this thread already... most of you are completely missing the point.