Teach your girl to dig.

2»

Comments

• KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts
    most of you are completely missing the point.

Yeah, I'd like to second that. I think there's some confusion around in what manner or capacity our girls 'dig.' For me at least, my girl is also into this kind of music, and she also understands "digging" from my perspective because she digs for fabric in the same way that i dig for records - you might remember the thread on here about that a few months back with the pic of an expedit full of fabric. My girl checks for records when she's out in the field looking for fabric, and I keep an eye out for fabric when i hit op shops and such. Its a complimentary thing. I personally don't get the whole "keep your girl separate from your actual life/interests" mentality. But hey, each to their own I guess.

• CosmophonicCosmophonic 1,172 Posts
    I wish I could teach my girl to dig. Shit it would take too long for her to learn something she's not too interested in...especially after all those times I made her come digging with me...ECAEP

I hate bringing people that are not interested in digging with me to a spot to dig. I feel terrible because they??re bored out of their skulls looking the used video-section over for the third time, and I??m distracted from the digging because of this. I would nevereverever MAKE someone come digging with me unless I know they??re interested in that kinda stuff.

- J

• Mr_Lee_PHDMr_Lee_PHD 2,042 Posts
    Yeah, I reckon unless you have told them about some specific record to pick up if they might come across it, if they dont dig, do them and yourself a faevor and dont send them digging.

• djsheepdjsheep 3,620 Posts
    Wait till the honeymoon period is over...

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    My girlfriend finds crazy stuff. Better stuff than most of you post in weekend finds. And she does not listen to jazz or funk, etc. All I had to do was drag her to every dirty spot that sold records every weekend for 10 years, and the rest of the week drone on endlessly about records. But, it worked.

• erewhonerewhon 1,123 Posts
    Yeah, I'd like to second that. I think there's some confusion around in what manner or capacity our girls 'dig.' For me at least, my girl is also into this kind of music, and she also understands "digging" from my perspective because she digs for fabric in the same way that i dig for records - you might remember the thread on here about that a few months back with the pic of an expedit full of fabric. My girl checks for records when she's out in the field looking for fabric, and I keep an eye out for fabric when i hit op shops and such. Its a complimentary thing. I personally don't get the whole "keep your girl separate from your actual life/interests" mentality. But hey, each to their own I guess.

Yeah, this is how it is for me and my lady too. She was born and bred to dig. She just isn't as single-minded as I am about records. As it is, she's got about a thousand records and hundreds of cds- and her taste in music is impeccable- but her base of knowledge and eye for quality extends to clothes, found/folk art, furniture, etc. And I don't think there is anyone else her age that can fuck with her knowledge of duck decoys. And, yeah, a big part of digging for both of us is being able to find stuff to give to people (each other, for example) as gifts.

• high_chigh_c 1,384 Posts
    you are completely missing the point.

I think I can relate... although I wouldn't send my girl to Europe with a list of shit... definitely not wicked CTI shit.

However, I have been at a flea mkt with the misses and had her filter out the definite NOs. See, I asked dude if there were any records and he told me there were 1000s of 45s in the back that he hasn't had a chance to get out yet. I mean it wouldn't have been humane for her to deny me of this. So, to speed things up she would grab a stack, put all the john travoltas, abbas, john denvers, and the like in one pile and put everything she didn't know in another. Then she got bored and went to the petting zoo out back and kicked with pigs and bunnies and peacocks and shit. Fun for all! And I found the Trinkas!