Can we Talk Blues...

2»

Comments

• hammertimehammertime 2,389 Posts
    i like the Lightning Hopkins- In Berkeley LP too, "Please Settle in Vietnam" is

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    Any of you hear an album from the Red Devils titled 'King King'? The whole anglo blues band thing travels in dangerous waters, but this album's pretty good. Lester Butler is a great harp player, and Rick Rubin (!) produces - it's on his label, I guess. Appearing in dollar bins around the world...

I remember this album...I was working in a record store at the time and the label that released this issued these pint-size harmonicas as promo gimmicks. Really good, as I recall...back then (1992) I was tired of the whole Stevie Ray-Robert Cray-Kinsey Report "blooze-rock" overkill, and I was hoping that the Red Devils would start off a new back-to-the-roots punk-blues trend (which they didn't, although several others had the same idea later on).

By the way, Lester Butler (R.I.P.) later went on to form a similar band called Thirteen, who had an equally excellent album on Hightone.

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    If you like west side Chi soul-blues style then you need to get familiar with Ray Agee's entire catalog.

Even real headz usually don't know the deal.

• TabaskoTabasko 1,357 Posts
    Any of you hear an album from the Red Devils titled 'King King'? The whole anglo blues band thing travels in dangerous waters, but this album's pretty good. Lester Butler is a great harp player, and Rick Rubin (!) produces - it's on his label, I guess. Appearing in dollar bins around the world...

I remember this album...I was working in a record store at the time and the label that released this issued these pint-size harmonicas as promo gimmicks. Really good, as I recall...back then (1992) I was tired of the whole Stevie Ray-Robert Cray-Kinsey Report "blooze-rock" overkill, and I was hoping that the Red Devils would start off a new back-to-the-roots punk-blues trend (which they didn't, although several others had the same idea later on).

By the way, Lester Butler (R.I.P.) later went on to form a similar band called Thirteen, who had an equally excellent album on Hightone.

such a cool album!!
    I saw the Red Devils live in Paradiso in Amsterdam on my birthday years ago, Paradiso was only half full but they f*cking killed it!
    I also have a 10'' by them.. I think a ep of this album.

didnt he die of an overdose?

• not very traditional blues by any means, but great funky blues albums.

• and The Earthshaker.

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    ALL ABOUT THE HOUNDDOG TAYLOR SHIT (WITH MATT SCHNIPPER ON DRUMS).

so damn sloppy.

:gamethefuckover:

btw plaese to differentiate R&B from the Blues?

• gotta mention blind lemon jefferson.

• Picked this up recently, its pretty good.

I also stole a couple of folkways leadbelly records from my dad last weekend and they have been getting a lot of spins.

• :gamethefuckover:

btw plaese to differentiate R&B from the Blues?

we had that shown on a 10'x8' screen with the sound pumped through the PA as a kick off to one of our soul nights a while back...great stuff!

what do you know about that show? it was filmed in Memphis?

anyways, that host is off the chain. what's his name? Hoss? and that mod intro is retarded.

• what do you know about that show? it was filmed in Memphis?

anyways, that host is off the chain. what's his name? Hoss? and that mod intro is retarded.

Actually it was filmed in Dallas and only shown in Nashville, as a local Nashville show. They wanted it in color, and Dallas at the time had the only color studio in the south. Thats the reason there are so many Texas and Louisiana artists on the show. It was never shown in Dallas however.

Hoss was a DJ/Promoter in Nashville. We have an old RnB comp here at the shop(or did, we might have sold it) that he compiled and it has his autograph on it...dude was gangster.

what do you know about (The!!!Beat!!!)? it was filmed in Memphis?

anyways, that host is off the chain. what's his name? Hoss?

Hoss Allen.

and that mod intro is retarded.

Yeah, like Laugh-In two years too early!

Actually it was filmed in Dallas and only shown in Nashville, as a local Nashville show.

Not true, I believe it was syndicated. Not only was it shown in Chicago, but it was RERUN in the early '70s (after it had gone off the air) on a local UHF station.

If you like west side Chi soul-blues style then you need to get familiar with Ray Agee's entire catalog.

Ray Agee wasn't based in Chicago...he was a soul-blues singer out in L.A.. But you're right, his 1963 hit "Tin Pan Alley" is hard to fuck with.

• luckluck 4,077 Posts

Even real headz usually don't know the deal.

And If you love real blues then you???ll love Blues Hammer!

Couldn't resist.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    Great thread....

My fave blues song of all time is the Sun label recording by guitarist Pat Hare titled "I'm Gonna Murder My Baby".

The most prophetic song of all time as Pat kept his promise just a few years later.

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    Not available on official retrospective box sets, I'm sure.

It's definitely available on at least one Sun LP Box Set......and probably on a CD or two.

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    Huh. I'll have to check my Sun sets.

It's on the Rhino Sun Label Set

It's definitely available on at least one Sun LP Box Set......and probably on a CD or two.

I know I've seen this on quite a few compilations of the Sun blues stable...it's not exactly unknown.

• luckluck 4,077 Posts

I know I've seen this on quite a few compilations of the Sun blues stable...it's not exactly unknown.

Not to you old folks.

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts

Not to you old folks.
    That Pat Hare story is I think he was playing with, or had just left Muddy Waters' band when he did it, there was a mention about it in Muddy's bio. Made Pat Hare sound a little unstable in general.

• 33thirdcom33thirdcom 2,049 Posts
    Great thread....

My fave blues song of all time is the Sun label recording by guitarist Pat Hare titled "I'm Gonna Murder My Baby".

The most prophetic song of all time as Pat kept his promise just a few years later.

thats insane...

Also have to throw in Bessie Smith... I actually went to the Delta and saw the room that she died in at I think its now called the Riverside Hotel... The owner "rat" told us the whole history of the hotel and the night of Bessie Smith's death.