"Sex Packets" Appreciation

GenePontecorvoGenePontecorvo 5,612 Posts
edited March 2016 in Music Talk
A THICK BITCH WITH BIG LEGS, IT'S GUTTFEST 89.

Comments

• tonyphronetonyphrone 1,500 Posts

Shock- G is a very underrated producer/musician.

• I happen to be listening to this song right now. I love the swanky guitar.

• A THICK BITCH WITH BIG LEGS, IT'S GUTTFEST 89.

My head under her leg under my arm under her toe.
    She says- I like it when you scream, baby- let yourself go.

• My head under her leg under my arm under her toe.

um....that's "Freaks of the Industry"

• pknypkny 549 Posts
    Definitely one of the most slept-on hiphop albums of all time. Most people think "one hit wonder" because of "Humpty Dance", but the whole damn thing is chock full of niceness. The 10 minute version of "Doowutchyalike" is my schitt right there, and the video is a fave as well:

And don't forget the cassette-only tracks...

• My head under her leg under my arm under her toe.

um....that's "Freaks of the Industry"

We can appreciate all the joys of the album. "Freaks" is a classic.

• never been a huge DU fan. Tupac was their greatest export, and I am not a Tupac fan.

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
    The promo 12" of Freaks of the Industry (in red vinyl) has been on my wantlist since I started DJing. Still hasn't been reissued. A seriously classic album, so different and out there. Freaks is such a vulgar but classy song, it's brilliant.

• Loooove it!

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts

Shock- G is a very underrated producer/musician.

Dude's talent is

Sex Packets was/is a ridiculously fun and well-created album.

• Shock- G is a very underrated producer/musician.

Joe Quixx told me a great story about going to buy some equipment back in the day (i.e., 1987-ish) at a local music shop where Shock G was working in sales. He said Shock demonstrated a synth by replaying all kinds of funk classics and that he was very sick with it.

I still see Shock up on Telegraph in Berkeley about once a year.

• cpeetzcpeetz 2,112 Posts

Watch you know about the Packets Poster batches!
    Seriously Packets was an instant classic: fun, deep, freaky, funky...
    It had a little bit of everything and it all worked.

I've heard the same stories about Shock G being seriously sick
    on the keys.

He played a couple times, a couple years back, up here in Seattle
    and everyone I know who went said he killed it.
    Don't remember why I didn't go, I'm a Chump.

• saw d.u. right when doowhatchalike came out. befor humpy dance so they were not big yet and they put on the best hip hop performance i have ever witnessed. have since performed with d.u. several times. shock is a really top dude but i think there may be some screws loose.
    peace, stein. . .

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,885 Posts
    Without googling, am I right in thinking The RZA was involved with DU? But, like, before he was the artist currently known as The RZA?

• favorite cut? Packet Man comes in bastante tight after that little 'car drives off' sound effect near the end of this perfect album.
    Other than that, Doowhuchyalike is fer-sure fly EVERY time you rock it.

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts
    appreciated for sure!

• pacmanpacman 1,113 Posts
    What REALLY sucks is that they're playing in Scottsdale tonight for FREE and I'm stuck at home studying for a test to get my job at SW Airlines.

Some priorities =

• dec0ndec0n 38 Posts
    Shock G was totally ahead of his time on the production tip.

• Absolutely one of the best records to come out of the west coast.

I saw DU at Berkeley Square circa 1991 or so... I guess this was pre-Sex Packets release? That was my first hip hop show. Snuck in with some good distraction and a few fake IDs.... I could barely see above the crowd but it was such an electric performance. One of my first times drinking as well.

I think that for me Shock was a real inspiration because of the way he could combine keys and instruments and samples. He definitely got me on the whole P-Funk catalogue. Really underrated producer and as to what 'Stein said, yeah I think a few screws came loose... wasn't he yet another dude who lost his collection when his house burned down?

RIP Berkeley Square. I am going to break this record out today.

Who was that herb dissing DU? Cat couldn't be from the Bay.

You know what's THAT REAL SCHITT though as far as DU goes? "Good Thing That We're Rapping".

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts
    I saw DU at Berkeley Square circa 1991 or so... I guess this was pre-Sex Packets release?

As far as I remember, Sex Packets came out in '89. They did at show @ Barbue here in Copenhagen that same year that I've been told was completely off-the-hook legendary status. Sadly, my mother didn't allow me to go to concerts until '90, so I missed that one

You know what's THAT REAL SCHITT though as far as DU goes? "Good Thing That We're Rapping".

"Cause if it wasn't for the rappin' we'd be mackin'" - hardasfuck indeed.

I can't follow the "2Pac was the best thing to come out of DU" sentiment at all. Digital Underground is definitely one of my favorite groups from that period.

*EDIT* The album came out in '90. I was thinking of when the early 12"s came out (Doowutchalike et al).

• piedpiperpiedpiper 1,279 Posts
    funny, creative and versatile LP.

• pknypkny 549 Posts
    *EDIT* The album came out in '90. I was thinking of when the early 12"s came out (Doowutchalike et al).

Yeah, I remember "Doowutchyalike" and "Humpty Dance" in late '89, I think I still have the cassingles somewhere around the crib.

Speaking of missed shows, I remember in '92 at Vassar, they had DU, Black Sheep, and Das EFX on one bill...and I didn't go.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    They were one of the first cats to successfully sample Band Of Gypsies.
    This album deserves the Deluxe treatment. New linear notes,B-sides,remixes,interviews, and maybe a video DVD. I remember tryin to put my boys onto this album, to get them beyond the singles.
    If there ever was a Psych-HipHop catagory this album would be a must.

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts
    Yeah, I remember "Doowutchyalike" and "Humpty Dance" in late '89

I even think the "Underwater Rimes" 12" came out as early as '88. I might be wrong, though.

• I went to that show. Black Sheep and Das-Efx were very eh, but DU was amazing. Probably the first hip-hop show I saw that was really a show. The best part was when Shock-G put on these wierd oversize masks and rapped in the style of different other rappers. Also DJ Fuze had a nice moment with some steadily increasd tempo scratching.

• wasn't he yet another dude who lost his collection when his house burned down?

yup. his whole collection at the time. He also did bad ass artwork - I think he did all the p-funk/funkadelic-inspired artwork for a lot of the albums. They also used his art in the show. they played this 'name-that-tune' game but with hip hop, and when Fuze would drop a beat, they'd hold up these giant caricatures of the artist that was playing.

I found a link talking about it briefly:

http://www.daveyd.com/fnvapril10live.html

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    The best part was when Shock-G put on these wierd oversize masks and rapped in the style of different other rappers. Also DJ Fuze had a nice moment with some steadily increasd tempo scratching.

I thought I was the ONLY one to remember this. They did a 4 characters - 2 of which were Eazy-E and Erick Sermon. I can't remember the other 2. It was truly a jaw-dropping moment. The only time I saw them perform was when they opened up for Big Daddy Kane for the "It's A Big Daddy Thing" album. It was 1989 and that show was crazy. "Humpty Dance" was a HUGE record in Philly, and when I say huge I mean you couldn't walk 2 blocks in my neighborhood without hearing that bassline "vrooom-VROOOOM-vrooom-VROOOOM" blasting out of a car driving by. That shit was everywhere. But yeah, that performance was dope. Kane with the openers being Digital Underground, Queen Latifah, Third Bass & Positive K. Dope as hell.

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts

I thought I was the ONLY one to remember this. They did a 4 characters - 2 of which were Eazy-E and Erick Sermon. I can't remember the other 2.

Hammer was one of 'em. You can see the masks in either the "Humpty Dance" video or the "Doowutchyalike" video (along with 'Pac dancing backup). Can't remember which one.

Herm

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts
    Man, I wish I could find "Rockin' To The P.M."

'Til then...

• By chance, can someone hook a brotha up with files from the the "Sex Packets" album?...(hangs head..he has no copy of his own)

Danke

Peace for now Peace for later.
    Oldie