"Sex Packets" Appreciation

2»

Comments

• this was such an important record for me - must have played it a million times in the early 90's.

"Humpty Dance", "Packet Man", "Underwater Rimes", "Doowhatcha Like","Freaks Of The Industry"....

I must play this shit this week, its been a while! I never really got into their subsequent releases though.

pz

RD

• I think Sons Of The P is really good... and I really like Body Hat Syndrome but mostly for the early Saafir appearances.

• this was such an important record for me - must have played it a million times in the early 90's.

Yes, indeed! Very underrated group and DJ Fuze is still a bad dude on the decks.

I guess this is as good a thread as any to post this DU remix I made recently (even if "Kiss You Back" wasn't on Sex Packets):

http://download.yousendit.com/C61846FF4E5DE251

• pknypkny 549 Posts
    Yeah, I remember "Doowutchyalike" and "Humpty Dance" in late '89

I even think the "Underwater Rimes" 12" came out as early as '88. I might be wrong, though.

Yup, it came out in 88, forgot I had this at home. Nice artwork as well by Rackadelic, don't know if this is another Shock G psuedonym.

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts
    Hi,

I remember listing to "Sex Packets" in the Jewish General Hospital waiting room while my grandmonther had cataract surgery. There was a mental dude there with a huge cranium. His face was normal size, but the top of his head was massive. He was wearing a red hockey helmet. I let him listen to Doowhatchalike on my walkman. True story.

peace

h

• tonyphronetonyphrone 1,500 Posts
    [that performance was dope. Kane with the openers being Digital Underground, Queen Latifah, Third Bass & Positive K. Dope as hell.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    [that performance was dope. Kane with the openers being Digital Underground, Queen Latifah, Third Bass & Positive K. Dope as hell.

Oh yeah, and 45 King spinning...

• mordecaimordecai 2,204 Posts
    "Humpty Dance" was a HUGE record in Philly, and when I say huge I mean you couldn't walk 2 blocks in my neighborhood without hearing that bassline "vrooom-VROOOOM-vrooom-VROOOOM" blasting out of a car driving by. That shit was everywhere.
    this was one of my first experiences with hip-hop. ...at this summer day camp i went to at the school near my house in Ohio, the teens were playing it on a boombox and doing the hump-up-hand-on-ground dance (was there a name for that?)
    always been a fan of piano solos in hip-hop and Doowhatchalike has a really good one.
    wish i could play keys like Shock G. ...and now i want that poster.