Organizing MP3's?

DjArcadianDjArcadian 3,630 Posts
edited October 2006 in Strut Central
I tried using iTunes but that program is impossible to use. Is there anything else?

Comments

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    I'm on a Mac so I use iTunes. It's really easy to me.

HOWEVER, organizing MP3s is a never ending process. I loathe it, and I am always doing it, day in and day out.

• PATXPATX 2,820 Posts
    Recycle bin

• marumaru 1,450 Posts
    honestly i don't think you're going to find anything better than itunes, but then again i haven't really looked around for anything else.

• pjl2000xlpjl2000xl 1,795 Posts
    yeah i tunes is hands down the best program for this. Just make new playlists on the side, like 90s nyc hip hop, or like 70s funy jazz.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    Smart Playlists with Live Updating are the shit.

• pjl2000xlpjl2000xl 1,795 Posts
    how does that work? i never really messed with the smart playlist shit.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    It's amazing. You set the parameters to whatever you want, and then whenever you add/edit your MP3s, as long as they fit in the parameters they're automatically sorted into those playlists.

• bozakbozak 334 Posts
    are playlists in itunes supposed to be automatically updated in Microwave when you open it up? i have Microwave and it hasnt been doing this. I rip the cd to itunes and add to a specified playlist but no-go when I look for the files in microwave.

thanks for that smartplaylist info! what a time saver.

• marumaru 1,450 Posts
    It's amazing. You set the parameters to whatever you want, and then whenever you add/edit your MP3s, as long as they fit in the parameters they're automatically sorted into those playlists.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    are playlists in itunes supposed to be automatically updated in Microwave when you open it up? i have Microwave and it hasnt been doing this. I rip the cd to itunes and add to a specified playlist but no-go when I look for the files in microwave.

thanks for that smartplaylist info! what a time saver.

It should be. What version Microwave are you using? Might just want to try going to SET UP-RESCAN ID3 TAGS and see if that works.

• I like itunes a lot but my only complaint is when an artist has a featuring so & so, it makes a separate folder for it. have to manually place the featuring artist to the song title to avoid a million featuring folders. Feel me?

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    I like itunes a lot but my only complaint is when an artist has a featuring so & so, it makes a separate folder for it. have to manually place the featuring artist to the song title to avoid a million featuring folders. Feel me?

Yeah I'm so meticulous about IDing my MP3s... everything has to match EXACTLY. It's a pain but it's how I like it.

• marumaru 1,450 Posts
    i organize my mp3s on my hardrive myself. the way itunes does it for you is

• i organize my mp3s on my hardrive myself. the way itunes does it for you is

I agree 100% I have 500 gigs of MP3's and I find that I have to organize them myself just to find shit. It is a wretched job, but I consider it to be all part of the educational process.

• marumaru 1,450 Posts

i organize my mp3s on my hardrive myself. the way itunes does it for you is

I agree 100% I have 500 gigs of MP3's and I find that I have to organize them myself just to find shit. It is a wretched job, but I consider it to be all part of the educational process.

damn, i have half that and i thought i had a lot. but yeah, it's a lot of work, especially if you're switching from the itunes method. worth the effort though.

• Fuck I thought I[/b] had a lot of mp3s to deal with... damn.

I'm only rolling on about 100 Gigs or so.... guess I'm just an mp3 lil dude after all... lol

I use the self-organizing method as well... but it's been a while since I went through my "new downloads" directory (I guess they're called Folders now eh?) and sorted all that shit out into proper directories for the artist/album.

My biggest pet peeve?? Downloading mp3s that were ripped and named with the track number as the first thing in the file name. Trying to find the song you want through all the random tracks that are named like that is a fucking pain in the ass.

I admit it, my mp3 organization game is slipping.

• jaymackjaymack 5,199 Posts
    Downloading mp3s that were ripped and named with the track number as the first thing in the file name

select all the tracks(not pictures or any other file types) in a folder(assuming you use windows), right-click > properties > summary > advanced.....vwallah, all the fields, just edit the fields you want (artist, title, album, trck no., etc) and you now have id.

peaz

• Downloading mp3s that were ripped and named with the track number as the first thing in the file name

select all the tracks(not pictures or any other file types) in a folder(assuming you use windows), right-click > properties > summary > advanced.....vwallah, all the fields, just edit the fields you want (artist, title, album, trck no., etc) and you now have id.

peaz

• Downloading mp3s that were ripped and named with the track number as the first thing in the file name

peaz

dude, thanks for this advice!

To return the favor, I promise to not make a post about my wedding on any record related websites when I get married.

• jaymackjaymack 5,199 Posts

To return the favor, I promise to not make a post about my wedding on any record related websites when I get married.

thats all i ask.