I just watched the BORAT MOVIE!

124»

Comments

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    The article really didn't do much to convince me on the frat boy situation, the tight-lips on the frat boys leads me to think they were in on the shoot.

"Two fraternity boys have filed a lawsuit over their drunken appearance in a hit movie.

The legal action, filed on Thursday on their behalf, claims they were duped into appearing in the spoof documentary Borat: Cultural Learnings Of America For Make Benefit Glorious Nation Of Kazakhstan, in which they made racist and sexist comments on camera.

The young men "engaged in behaviour that they otherwise would not have engaged in," the lawsuit says.

The film follows the adventures of comedian Sacha Baron Cohen's Kazakh journalist character in a blend of fiction and improvised comic encounters as he travels across the United States and mocks Americans.

The plaintiffs were not named in the lawsuit "to protect themselves from any additional and unnecessary embarrassment."

They were identified in the movie as fraternity members from a South Carolina university, and appeared drunk as they made insulting comments about women and minorities to Cohen's character.

The lawsuit claims that in October 2005, a production crew took the students to a bar to drink and "loosen up" before participating in what they were told would be a documentary to be shown outside of the United States.

The film "made plaintiffs the object of ridicule, humiliation, mental anguish and emotional and physical distress, loss of reputation, goodwill and standing in the community," the lawsuit said.

It names 20th Century Fox, a unit of News Corp, and three production companies as defendants.

The plaintiffs were seeking an injunction to stop the studio from displaying their image and likeness, along with unspecified monetary damages."

GUZZO, I FEEL YOU NEED TO RESPOND TO THIS POST.
    IT TAKES A MAN TO ADMIT WHEN HE IS VERY WRONG!

haha,

well even if its real I stil lfelt like it came across as something fake and I just couldn't get into it. Defitly a different vibe fromthe TV show bits he did.

• mandrewmandrew 2,720 Posts
    The article really didn't do much to convince me on the frat boy situation, the tight-lips on the frat boys leads me to think they were in on the shoot.

"Two fraternity boys have filed a lawsuit over their drunken appearance in a hit movie.

The legal action, filed on Thursday on their behalf, claims they were duped into appearing in the spoof documentary Borat: Cultural Learnings Of America For Make Benefit Glorious Nation Of Kazakhstan, in which they made racist and sexist comments on camera.

The young men "engaged in behaviour that they otherwise would not have engaged in," the lawsuit says.

The film follows the adventures of comedian Sacha Baron Cohen's Kazakh journalist character in a blend of fiction and improvised comic encounters as he travels across the United States and mocks Americans.

The plaintiffs were not named in the lawsuit "to protect themselves from any additional and unnecessary embarrassment."

They were identified in the movie as fraternity members from a South Carolina university, and appeared drunk as they made insulting comments about women and minorities to Cohen's character.

The lawsuit claims that in October 2005, a production crew took the students to a bar to drink and "loosen up" before participating in what they were told would be a documentary to be shown outside of the United States.

The film "made plaintiffs the object of ridicule, humiliation, mental anguish and emotional and physical distress, loss of reputation, goodwill and standing in the community," the lawsuit said.

It names 20th Century Fox, a unit of News Corp, and three production companies as defendants.

The plaintiffs were seeking an injunction to stop the studio from displaying their image and likeness, along with unspecified monetary damages."

GUZZO, I FEEL YOU NEED TO RESPOND TO THIS POST.
    IT TAKES A MAN TO ADMIT WHEN HE IS VERY WRONG!

haha,

well even if its real I stil lfelt like it came across as something fake and I just couldn't get into it. Defitly a different vibe fromthe TV show bits he did.

pffft, i guess that'll do
    i think what you're suffering from though is a case of over-analysis brought about by the crushing amount of hype leading up to this film. when all you hear is how funny something is, its bound to not meet expectations. fox's marketing scheme for this film was the equivalent of starting off a joke with, "wanna hear something really funny?"

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts

Well, everybody knows that frat boys only act like drunken dickheads if you trick them into it. And that they only get drunk in the first place if you force them to.

• Now THAT's funny...

Borat spanked by angry Yank

By EMILY SMITH
    US Editor / The Sun
    November 13, 2006

BORAT star Sacha Baron Cohen was beaten up by a passer-by after he tried to play a prank as his alter ego.
    He approached the man and said: ???I like your clothings. Are nice! Please may I buying? I want have sex with it.???

But the bystander didn???t see the joke. He took one look at Cohen and punched him in the face.

The funnyman ??? known for his Borat catchphrase ???Jagshemash!??? ??? yelled for help but was slugged again and again.

He was rescued by actor pal Hugh Laurie who had been on his way to a New York bar with Cohen.

Laurie rushed to help and pushed the man away as Cohen struggled to his feet. A pal of Cohen said: ???Sacha couldn???t resist playing the fool as Borat, but picked on the wrong person.

???I guess this guy thought he was being attacked by someone unstable and lashed out. Sacha is very lucky he didn???t get a much worse beating.???

The incident took place after Laurie and Cohen appeared on the US TV show Saturday Night Live. The Brit comics were on their way to a late dinner when Laurie suggested they visit a bar in Manhattan.

Laurie, 47, told friends he feared Cohen was going to get badly beaten up. Luckily, 35-year-old Cohen did not receive any lasting scars.

Studio chiefs have warned Cohen to avoid pretending to be the spoof Kazakhstan TV reporter on the streets. Since the film was launched he has only appeared in character while promoting the movie on American television shows.

Borat: Cultural Learnings of America For Make Benefit Glorious Nation of Kazakhstan is tipped to become the highest grossing comedy of all time.

A FOREIGN exchange firm is thanking Borat for sparking a surge in travel to Kazakhstan. Travelex has ordered ??500,000 worth of its Tenge currency to cope with the boom and a spokesman said: ???It???s down to Borat.???

But the Romanian village of Glod is SUING Borat for ridiculing locals after filming movie scenes there. A one-armed resident said: ???It???s disgusting.???

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts

A one-armed resident said: ???It???s disgusting.???

I can't say exactly why, but this sentence is completely fucking hilarious.

• UnherdUnherd 1,880 Posts

Borat is tipped to become the highest grossing comedy of all time.

What's the competition here? Bruce Almighty? Meet the Fockers?

Laughed my ass off, but if anything killed the illusion, it was Pam Anderson running across a mall parking lot without a security guard in sight.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts

Borat is tipped to become the highest grossing comedy of all time.

What's the competition here? Bruce Almighty? Meet the Fockers?

according to this site the highest grossing comedy is Home Alone with $285,761,243

Borat made under $60 mil in its first 2 weeks. predicting it as the highest grossing comedy EVAR is all part of the Fox media hype machine

• Meet the Fockers?

Unfortunately, yes: http://www.movieweb.com/movies/film/98/798/boxoffice/

Just a few underneath our dear "Home Alone".

Boy, American audiences sure can pick 'em.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts

Laughed my ass off, but if anything killed the illusion, it was Pam Anderson running across a mall parking lot without a security guard in sight.
    I think its established that she knew in advance, but what do you mean 'not a security guard in sight,' dude got tackled by security in the parking lot.

• Meet the Fockers?

Unfortunately, yes: http://www.movieweb.com/movies/film/98/798/boxoffice/

Just a few underneath our dear "Home Alone".

Boy, American audiences sure can pick 'em.

home alone is a classic kid's movie, but Meet the Fockers???

deniro is one of my favorite actors but i can't stand him in comedies (analyze this?!?) and stiller already beat the premise to death in Meet the Parents. i would have thought Something about Mary would be up there. that was stiller's best movie by far.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    Deniro is hysterical in Jackie Brown

• thropethrope 750 Posts
    huge ali g show fan, huge borat fan, etc etc. and very underwhelmed by the movie. just wasnt that funny. everything with him interacting with stupid people = funny. everything else = zzzzzzzzzz. a lot more 'gross out' humor than i expected too. just rent the tv show dvds and ignore this movie.

I think its established that she knew in advance, but what do you mean 'not a security guard in sight,' dude got tackled by security in the parking lot.

If you went after Pam Anderson at an autograph signing, how could you conceivably end up chasing her across the parking lot???

Any more hypothetical logic traps?

• volumenvolumen 2,532 Posts

If you went after Pam Anderson at an autograph signing, how could you conceivably end up chasing her across the parking lot???

Any more hypothetical logic traps?

Obviously that was a set up, but at that point it was the end of the movie so who cares???? The security was mall security who was most likly called in and I'm sure they were pumped to defend Pam. Everyone knows that hot girl super stars don't go any where without 1-3 giant bodyguards ready to pound anyone. If it wasn't a set up Borat wouldn't have even got that close to begin with. That was the "movie" part of it instead of the "candid camera" part of it. They were setting up the whole meet Pam thing the whole movie. No suprise it was going to be fake. Not that big of a deal.

I really didn't like it as much as I thought I would. Totally cracked up, but I didn't like the way he was trying to make it a real documentery. Good try, but it didn't work for me. I would have rather he just talked about the set up before/after each sceen.

• motown67motown67 4,513 Posts
    Some of you guys crack me up. This is suppose to be a spoof and people are complaining about how it's not "real" enough. WTF???

• lol! it's a movie, not a real documentary! They guy is British, he's playing an act, why don't people get it?!

I really didn't like it as much as I thought I would. Totally cracked up, but I didn't like the way he was trying to make it a real documentery. Good try, but it didn't work for me. I would have rather he just talked about the set up before/after each sceen.

Besides being nearly as hilarious as the show, I was actually feeling the format, my point was a pretty minor complaint. Analyzing the movie afterwards trying to figure out what was or wasnt real was a testement to its success, I was just saying that was one of the only times I thought about anything being staged. I was just reacting to Deej's pointless nitpicking about my pointless nitpicking. The parking lot scene was a little distracting and prolly unneccesary,

• PrimeCutsLtdPrimeCutsLtd jersey fresh 2,632 Posts
    Great movie !!! watched it last night...

"shapeshifters" !!!