You know what? That Nicole Willis shit rules!

2»

Comments

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    What about the recent Candi Staton LP?

this one?

I like to hear it.
    Yeah that's the one, it got good reviews, has anyone heard it? It's something I've been meaning to check out, along with that Spanky Wilson/Quantic LP.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    I've tried contacting timmion for wholesale but to no avail... can someone tell them to holler at a player?

Roisto, Sampo, Olski... haelp

JP,

Light in the Attic handles all the U.S. distro. They can get you copies wholesale I assume.

• sticky_dojahsticky_dojah New York City. 2,136 Posts
    didier of the sound spectrum fame.

he also had (has) a hiphopshow on radio helsinki. dunno if his lifesaver stuff on the web is still going on. i think it is mostly his production that makes all those things worthwile (no disrespect to mrs tenor). he told me that he still doesn't use any digital technique to do recordings, all stuff is done on ampex bands (at least 5 years ago). 

the drummer on the record is lurking in the wants/trades section trying to complete his stang/all platinum collection..

aka j**ka aka selftaught aka supercool dude. infact, all of them are. but his drums are extraordinary. go ask mr. len....

• Phill_MostPhill_Most 4,594 Posts
    This schitt is soooooooo crazy. I don't know if it's the best nu-funk record out there, but it's the best I'VE heard (or at least it's my favorite).

• UnDos3UnDos3 81 Posts
    I was just reading about this on your blog this morning. excellent post.

here's my experience with this album:
    I must of overlooked the record for over a month when I noticed it stocked at my local record store and never bothered to inspect it. My good friend Ric later put me on point with this. and. I realized I had been sleeping on some quality music. 'Holding On' IS the stand out track for me.

•  that Le Scratch Funk record is one of my favorites, shitt is sooo banging.

• That Soultors has been out of print for several years. It was on one of the Big Daddy mix CDs which is how I'm aware of it. Great song. It goes for decent coin when it turns up on ebay.

• roistoroisto 879 Posts
    I've tried contacting timmion for wholesale but to no avail... can someone tell them to holler at a player?

JP,

Light in the Attic handles all the U.S. distro. They can get you copies wholesale I assume.

JP, clean up your inbox!

The Didier's Sound Spectrum reissue will be done soon, hopefully within a month.

• sticky_dojahsticky_dojah New York City. 2,136 Posts

thanks man, glad you like our stuff. regarding the soultors, 300 copies were pressed, so that is already a modern day rare. and the b-side has one ill break that is superbe. i think i have a spare copy of the get down with the funky organ 7" if someone is interested. but i have to check...

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    Just got to cosine on this. Picked it up after a Strutter listed it in their albums of the year at the end of 2005. Can't remember who it was but am forever indebted to them as been playing it a hella lot since.

• I've tried contacting timmion for wholesale but to no avail... can someone tell them to holler at a player?

I think this can be arranged Johnny. PM this dude-----> http://www.soulstrut.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=739552&an=0&page=0#Post739552 He is the CEO of Timmion.

• HawkeyeHawkeye 896 Posts
    I saw them live here in Hamburg. I have to say that Nicole Willis got the better LP but Sharon rules the stage like I only have seen it before by Marva Whitney when she played here.

Maybe it is the age but Sharon and Marva can handle the stage and the show better.

Peace
    Hawkeye

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    I saw them live here in Hamburg. I have to say that Nicole Willis got the better LP but Sharon rules the stage like I only have seen it before by Marva Whitney when she played here.

Maybe it is the age but Sharon and Marva can handle the stage and the show better.

Peace
    Hawkeye

I think that makes a lot of sense. Sharon's older and just seems to have a comfort on stage and on record. I like Willis' voice and her range of styles but she doesn't have the same personality. HOwever, I do think the Soul Investigators have a more interesting and compelling sound than the Dap-Kings - who I also like.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    you guys are sleeping

Pick it up ASAP if you haven't already.

I just called my girl at the rackord store and told her to put a copy on hold for me

I heartily endorse this decision.

Grabbed the last copy left in the Amoeba bins yesterday. Haven't had a chance to listen to it but I gotta say I'm a little worried now cause the hype factor of this thread has me expecting miracles/

Whats the story on the vinyl, is this now OOP?

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts
    I'm gonna try to snag more copies of this for strutters. Sold my last spare yesterday...

• Killer album.
    It's my most recent "Man, you gotta hear this" record that I've been playing for friends.
    I didn't know this was getting harder to get, I got mine from Idems shop in Melbourne a few months ago.
    I think Invisible Man is my favourite.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts

Willis fans should add this to their collek-shun.

• Mike_BellMike_Bell 5,736 Posts
    I'm gonna try to snag more copies of this for strutters. Sold my last spare yesterday...
    Hold one for me.

• you guys are sleeping deep!!!

I played the hell out of this at clubs Feb-May this year and damn near wore it out. Time to dig it up and start playing it out again now that all the rest of you folls are finally discovering it!

I think Invisible Man is my favourite.

Yep. For me it's that one plus "If This Ain't Love", "My 4 Leaf Clover" and "Holdin' On". I got hooked on "If This Ain't Love" and that was it for me... damn near perfect. That's like my little family's theme song right now.

• Yeah, it's a really nice album. "If This Ain't Love" is still my favorite, but the chorus on "Feeling Free" is something beautiful. I do have to say that I'm not feeling the singing on "Keep Reaching Up" at all, and some of the lyrics are a bit too simple for my taste. But other than that, it's excellent.

I do have to say that I'm not feeling the singing on "Keep Reaching Up" at all

ooooh yeah... unfortunately on that one. Sis may not technically be the greatest flat-out singer in the world, but she has a real ear-pleasing quality to her voice (well, on everything except "Keep Reaching Up"). I want more! Anybody have the two albums she did prior to getting down with the soul investigators?

• Hmmm....Haven't been on here in a minute (wasn't really a heavy user anyhow) and I check back and this has come up. Cool.

We actually have a good stash of these at the shop I work at here in SF, Open Mind Music. I hipped Josh @ Light in the attic to the record so we wouldn't have to order from Finland back in the Spring. He tracked down Timmion for us.

There's remixes out but they don't blow me away like the originals do.

• LewisLewis Connecticut 101 Posts
    Love the album. Surprised folks are just coming round to it. I am almost positive it had a small buzz when it dropped. Been hammering that baby for a while now. For me though while the Soul Investigators are dope they do not have anything on the DapKings whatsoever.

Also I am really diggin the new Spanky Wilson album and am surprised its not getting just as much love. I think it???s a top class effort and right up there with the Nicole Willis. I wouldn't say I like either better than the other since they both have something special that i like. I personally think the cut "Message to Tomorrow" is the best new funk cut i have ever heard and one of my new all time favorites. Pure heat. A true deep funk anthem that is straight up untouchable.

• lucerolucero 425 Posts
    Dj PJ posted his 'Dj friendly edit' of 'A perfect kind of love' here on the boards some time ago - I've always dug it so thought I'd re-up for anyone who missed it the first time around, 320k too for all microwave dudes out there

http://download.yousendit.com/A061AFD06DD267CD