Best Gladys Knight LP?

GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
edited March 2016 in Record Collecting
these are the ones I currently got in my collection

I dig them all I think Nitty Gritty is probablty the best one in the group if wwere going track for track. Although the hits "If I Were Your Woman" and "Neither One Of Us" are fucking great

these are the ones I've had and ridded

I feel maybe I should have given this another try

ditto with this one after all it is produced by curtis

and I've never bothered with the later stuff, who has and whats the good/ bad word on them?

please to drop knowledge/ appreciate/ insult/ make aural love to Gladys Knight and the Pips discography

Comments

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    I've never heard these, any comments/ opinions?

both great, i prefer Silk&Soul a little more for the amazing version of Every Little Bit Hurts

i can't say any of their records blow me away from beginning to end, more like each has one/two/some great tracks.

favourites:

other faves, which i can't find images for, are Queen of Tears and I Feel a Song

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts

There's another one that I liked that was kinda bluesy and mellow.

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    "Imagination" is a very nice record.

• 45s on Maxx

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    only 4 replies to a thread asking about one of the most well known/ well respected soul singers of 60's 70's and 80's?

PEOPLE STEP YOUR SOUL GAME UP!

• JayGeeJayGee 313 Posts
    Shit man, they're all great!

I've been digging this one lately:

Also check out the ace disco cut "If You Ever Need Somebody" from her s/t on Columbia.

Being one of the Pips is probably my most wanted job, ever!

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    Can I admit something? I'm really not too into Gladys Knight & The Pips.

• Can I admit something? I'm really not too into Gladys Knight & The Pips.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    Cosmo & Lamar,

I was once like you, Gladys was nothing more than a familiar face in the bins when I flipped through. But damn if I don't get a littloe emotional when I hear "If I was your woman" or "Midnight Train To Georgia" when it comes on the radio.

Give the pips a chance, I thnk y'all might find a spot in your soul for some of that good motown female soul love

• favourite: 

Cos & Lamar, definitely check those out. You'll be converted.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts

Really? Or just a rarity?

The VJ Fury stuff never did anything for me. I have not heared the Maxx singles, but they did chart R&B. For me, 1967, when she signed with Motown (Soul) was when it started happening. Great singer, background singers, but it was those Motown songs that really made things happen.

• KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts

It's all about the breakz.

I know, I know

• Here's my current fave, this is a really nice one! Not sure if it's a collection of singles or what.

Guzzo, you would like.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    I stayed out this thread all day cause Guzzo
    pretty much covered any LP I would mention,
    but one still hasn't been brought up that is
    prime era Motown material, including a TIGHT
    version of Sly Stone's "Thank You" :

I think it gets slept on because the cover is
    soft as marshmallow pie, and because Gladys Knight
    gets slept on in general. I try to make random people
    buy that Claudine OST when I inevitably find it
    for $3 in record shops, pushing it at them, like "trust me,"
    There's a random live LP from the mid 70's with a dope live
    version of "On & On" from that album. Here's the track:

Someone else on here hooked me up w/that MP3 a year ago or so.

I guarantee you AI that if you listen to that Nitty Gritty
    album, you'll be back in a few days calling GK the TRUTH.

• Cos & Lamar, definitely check those out. You'll be converted.

I'll pick em up next time I see em. If they turn out to be I'll be and your suggestions from here on out will be .

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    Here's my current fave, this is a really nice one! Not sure if it's a collection of singles or what.

It's not a singles collection - I believe this was meant to be an album, with some songs not appearing on 45's.

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts

any comments/ opinions?

I think "Everybody Needs Love" is a great record. The version of "I Heard It Through The Grapevine" is, imho, the best one and a proven dancefloor classic for me. "Just Walk In My Shoes", "I'll Be Standing By", "Yes, I'm Ready" and the title track are all great, too. I like "Silk & Soul" as well, although it suffers from the mid-60's malaise of a lot of Motown albums in that it's heavy on covers of MOR & pop hits of the day. On this record, Gladys' performances are strong enough for you to overlook the over-familiarity of so much of the material. Their take on "The Look Of Love" is my absolute all-time favourite version of this song, and there are great versions of "Every Little Bit Hurts", "I Wish It Would Rain" and "Tracks Of My Tears" as well. Dilla obsessives will definitely consider this album a worthwhile listen.

The Buddah era records can be a bit uneven for me, but there's usually at least two or three good songs on each, and Gladys is always great. I think "Claudine" is fantastic, though - can't imagine why you'd dump that. It used to be a ??20 record in the UK. "Imagination" and "2nd Anniversary" (produced by Eugene McDaniels) are both worth copping, and "I Feel A Song" shouldn't be overlooked either.

• JayGeeJayGee 313 Posts

This one features the super classy "No One Can Love You More". Was the intro
    track on the mixtape I made for my old highschool sweetheart.

• JayGeeJayGee 313 Posts
    If anyone has some of her mOTOWN/SOUL albums lying around and can send me a lot in trade for some euro biz. Please holla!

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    I stayed out this thread all day cause Guzzo
    pretty much covered any LP I would mention,
    but one still hasn't been brought up that is
    prime era Motown material, including a TIGHT
    version of Sly Stone's "Thank You" :

I think it gets slept on because the cover is
    soft as marshmallow pie, and because Gladys Knight
    gets slept on in general. I try to make random people
    buy that Claudine OST when I inevitably find it
    for $3 in record shops, pushing it at them, like "trust me,"
    There's a random live LP from the mid 70's with a dope live
    version of "On & On" from that album. Here's the track:

Someone else on here hooked me up w/that MP3 a year ago or so.

I guarantee you AI that if you listen to that Nitty Gritty
    album, you'll be back in a few days calling GK the TRUTH.

SOI: I meant to put a picture of this one up in my initial thread but I couldn't remember the album title. I've seen this LP far too much and need to just drop the $3 and pick it up. thanks for the detialed knowledge

Rockadelic: That early Gladys Knight LP you meantioned looks insane, is it truly good though? also can you or someone else post up a track from it?

• I thought you didn't like drum breaks and samples! Is this Pre Modern Soul???

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts

Rockadelic: That early Gladys Knight LP you meantioned looks insane, is it truly good though? also can you or someone else post up a track from it?

I dig it....."Letter Full Of Tears" was a minor hit....definitely an earlier sound than the Motown stuff.

• Rockadelic: That early Gladys Knight LP you meantioned looks insane, is it truly good though? also can you or someone else post up a track from it?

I dig it....."Letter Full Of Tears" was a minor hit....definitely an earlier sound than the Motown stuff.

I just read Gladys was only 12 years old during these recordings.

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts

This one features the super classy "No One Can Love You More". Was the intro
    track on the mixtape I made for my old highschool sweetheart.

WORD.

and the one that SoulonIce posted was the one I was about to cop.

• motown67motown67 4,513 Posts

Rockadelic:  That early Gladys Knight LP you meantioned looks insane, is it truly good though? also can you or someone else post up a track from it?

"Letter" is definately one of her best tracks IMO. Did she ever re-record it for a latter album?

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts

I think "Letter" was bigger than you make it seem...they actually had some real success before Motown...and while Gladys was a teenager when she recorded those sides, I'd think she was a little older than twelve.

I should also mention that those early Vee Jay/Fury/Maxx sides were reissued on a shitload of labels in the 70's (including Trip, Bell and Pickwick), and just about all of them have some kind of goodness on them - I wouldn't write it off because they're not on Motown (or Buddah). That crashing string section on "Letter" gets me every time...

"Letter" is definately one of her best trucks IMO. Did she ever re-record it for a latter album?

Yes, for Greatest Hits and for a live album, All In A Knight's Work, both on the Soul label from 1970.