Stark Reality. Never heard it. Justified hype?

JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,885 Posts
edited March 2016 in Record Collecting
Please Realheadz to be dropping on why this piece is so valued.

Comments

• I guess SR is hyped because it is a unique piece of psych/jazz w/ funky drumming. I also think it lives up to the hype, but I can understand why it wouldn't be everybody's cup of tea.

• upskibooupskiboo 2,396 Posts
    im slowly beginning to realize that there is a possibility that i wont ever find this in the field!!!???

• im slowly beginning to realize that there is a possibility that i wont ever find this in the field!!!???

Have you tried Sweden?

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    Ah, it's been a little while since this came up again.

I personally love it but it may not be everybody's cup of tea.

You could always get the Stones Throw reissue but make sure to pick up the tracks they missed off there (including Clouds one of the greatest tracks) from Monty himself at his website:

http://home.att.net/%7Emontystark/store.html

Where is Monty anyway?

• upskibooupskiboo 2,396 Posts
    im slowly beginning to realize that there is a possibility that i wont ever find this in the field!!!???

Have you tried Sweden?

nope, but ive spoke with a swedish dealer who found it several times, even found a mint copy which he sold for $25 or something...

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts
    i bought/sold my copy for 350 usd four years ago. i was a little disappointed by the music. i didn't like the sound and, to be totally honest, the quality (sorry monty!). it's still a very good record though. i don't think it's THAT funky. it's more rockish IMO.

the price that people pay now is kinda crazy. it's not worth the money.

i definitely miss it. i want it back. not for 800 though.

• DjArcadianDjArcadian 3,630 Posts
    It's a pleasant listen but I wouldn't pay $400 for an OG copy. I'm happy with my Stones Throw repress.

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    Ask Monty.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    I like the record. I like to sing along with the songs and stuff.

I'm happy with my re-ish, as well as mp3s of missing tracks.

I'd rather just give 400 dollars to monty than by the OG.

p.s. (Monty- no i'm not giving you 400 dollars, but you are invited to the halloween party if you can catch a ride!!!)

• macacamacaca 278 Posts
    I'd rather just give 400 dollars to monty than by the OG.

just grab the 2cd reissue. 'acting, thinking, feeling' is too good to pass up.

• PABLOPABLO 1,921 Posts
    just grab the 2cd reissue. 'acting, thinking, feeling' is too good to pass up.

I just recently purchased the euro 2CD and for some reason I was unaware that Egon even put out an unreleased album (1969) by them but it???s simply outstanding. I think I dig it more than I>Discovers/I>! I???ve been playing that second CD to death.

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts
    Its an interesting record but not really my cup of tea. I think I've listened to the cd maybe 3 times in the past couple of years, I should give it another spin maybe. I played it here at the shop and a customer started whining and asked if I could take it off haha..

• I was gripped by it the first time I heard it, and would go so far as to say it is one of the few grails that I will always wish I had an original of.

• The appeal of this record is very subjective. When a piece such as this attains an almost mythical status, it is bound to disappoint some folks no matter how good it is. Those who expect to have their mind blown to bits from beginning to end will be better off digging up an OG Ege Bamyasi. That is to say, this (Stark Reality)is a solid, unique and funky jazz rock record of the highest order. It is scarce as fuck and anyone with an OG copy should hold on to it for bragging rights alone. It does add to a collectors cache/credibility/etc.

Is it worth it. Yeah, I think so... not the kind of record you can just put on any old time & kick back to but when the mood strikes, it does the trick.

• montymonty 420 Posts
    i think the uniqueness of Stark Reality is:

1. John Abercrombie, the great guitarist, had just got off the chittlin' circuit with the Johnny "Hammond" Smith trio.

2. i had just got off the road, which included touring the south in a 7 piece band, 4 horns, amplified acoustic bass, "Mousy" the loudest drummer ever, (this is '60s pre-desegregation), black band, (except me), and i was required to be the only keyboard in the band on 4 mallet vibes, (no guitar either) - the Red Prysock Orchestra.

3. Phil Morrison, an identifiably great bassist, influenced by Paul Chambers, Doug Watkins, et al., had played with Sam Rivers, and had just got an electric bass.

4. Vinnie Johnson was, and still is, a pure classic bebop-to-free, accomplished jazz drummer - funk was required for the gig, and funk was new.

5. i know i don't have a voice, but the gig required somebody had to sing - "acting, thinking, feeling" 1968 with 6 horns, no guitar, live on TV, (Stones Throw 101 DVD), with Phil, Vinnie, and me singing, and the 1969 stuff is also the three of us singing live, and playing at the same time.

6. the Hoagy stuff? tracks recorded live, one after the other, all first takes, one day - the next day i overdubbed the vocals.

7. and now, god bless will.i.am, it finally fucking paid off!

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    it finally fucking paid off!

• Please Realheadz to be dropping on why this piece is so valued.
    i think the uniqueness of Stark Reality is:

1. John Abercrombie, the great guitarist, had just got off the chittlin' circuit with the Johnny "Hammond" Smith trio.

2. i had just got off the road, which included touring the south in a 7 piece band, 4 horns, amplified acoustic bass, "Mousy" the loudest drummer ever, (this is '60s pre-desegregation), black band, (except me), and i was required to be the only keyboard in the band on 4 mallet vibes, (no guitar either) - the Red Prysock Orchestra.

3. Phil Morrison, an identifiably great bassist, influenced by Paul Chambers, Doug Watkins, et al., had played with Sam Rivers, and had just got an electric bass.

4. Vinnie Johnson was, and still is, a pure classic bebop-to-free, accomplished jazz drummer - funk was required for the gig, and funk was new.

5. i know i don't have a voice, but the gig required somebody had to sing - "acting, thinking, feeling" 1968 with 6 horns, no guitar, live on TV, (Stones Throw 101 DVD), with Phil, Vinnie, and me singing, and the 1969 stuff is also the three of us singing live, and playing at the same time.

6. the Hoagy stuff? tracks recorded live, one after the other, all first takes, one day - the next day i overdubbed the vocals.

Hey Monty, thanks for using the photo of me breaking up weed at Guzzo's pad on my OG Stark Reality as your avatar. I'm truly honoured....

• 6fran506fran50 266 Posts
    i know i don't have a voice, but the gig required somebody had to sing

i always wondered if the "so-so" vocals was something you did deliberately (ala melvin van peebles) ...

ps:

• montymonty 420 Posts
    Hey Monty, thanks for using the photo of me breaking up weed at Guzzo's pad on my OG Stark Reality as your avatar. I'm truly honoured....

heh, i like it even more than

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts

This is good news. You originally said you were not getting paid for the sample. Things have changed?

BTW I love it, but I am sucker for funky kids records. Everything Monty (did I spell that right?) said about the players is true. I have had 3 copies, 2 I paid cash and trade, one I found in a well picked jazz bin in a popular store for $4.00, mint. But all that was some 8-10 years ago, so you newbies might have a harder time.

Monty, did you record with Prysock?

• montymonty 420 Posts
    You originally said you were not getting paid for the sample. Things have changed?
    http://soulstrut.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=359514&page=0&fpart=all&vc=1

did you record with Prysock?
    yeah, early '60s, we did a date at RVG for Mercury Records with the road band + Kenny Burrell on guitar, but by then Red was pretty much over, and nothing was released.

• BaptBapt 2,503 Posts

+ Kenny Burrell on guitar

forever

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts

forever
    Most definitely. Bapt, you made me think of the store in paris you took me to that had the 'crazy' dude & multiples of the Kenny Burrell 'Ode To 52nd St.' LP. Good times. Did you bother going back for the Jerry Butler LP?

• if anybody really really needs this record they have a b condition(about vg) copy at disc union shibuya/tokyo japan in the bins for roughly $1200.00 u.s.d.
    peace, stein. . .

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    if anybody really really needs this record they have a b condition(about vg) copy at disc union shibuya/tokyo japan in the bins for roughly $1200.00 u.s.d.
    peace, stein. . .

I can't believe a 1200 dollar record would be languishing in the bins, even in Japan

• montymonty 420 Posts
    Did you mean: unbearable?

• SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts
    He says unbearable, I say unfadeable. Props Mr. Stark.

- spidey

• DeeRockDeeRock 1,836 Posts
    It's funny to me how everyone's taste differs but it sure does. I just last night pulled my og copy out and played it from beginning to end. I forget how filthy it was!!! OMG this record is great and I totally love it. It is one of my favorites. There was a point though that I checked to see if there was dust on the needle and it was just the way the record sounded! Lol. Props to Monty. This is a psych, funk, jazz classic for sure. Incredible strange lp. I happend to catch my copy for $1.00 about ten years ago. I recommend this all day but what do I know? The taste is totally up to the personal individual.

• MjukisMjukis 1,675 Posts

Have you tried Sweden?

I live in Sweden and have only seen an og on Lars website... For more than $400 I might add. I love both my 2cd and my 2LP reissues, it's not something I listen to every day though, you dig it out once and again and get your mind blown. A lot of expensive records are basically versions of other famous artists' work (as a lot of pricey, sometimes overpriced funk 45s are basically artist trying to copy JB, etc) but the music of Stark Reality is just so unique - if you feel like listening to it, there's no substitute. It's like the jazz/funk/psych version of Sonic Youth or something. Thanks a bunch, Monty.

• BaptBapt 2,503 Posts

forever
    Most definitely. Bapt, you made me think of the store in paris you took me to that had the 'crazy' dude & multiples of the Kenny Burrell 'Ode To 52nd St.' LP. Good times. Did you bother going back for the Jerry Butler LP?

Hey! Holmsy Holmes! How are you doing?

Nah, I did not go back to buy that record, a little bit too expensive plus this crazy dude is acting like he knows everything and I hate that. Plus, you can not negociate (I like to negociate!) and most of his records are VG. But if you have a spare for me... holla.