The biggest selling 12" single ever???

cardovacardova 743 Posts
edited October 2006 in Strut Central
Anyone know what it is?I started to think about it a while back and became obsessed, tried Google only to found out New Order "Blue Monday" 12" is the biggest selling 12" ever in the UK. Some reports say it would be the biggest ever, but somehow I find it hard to believe.Anyway, whatever it is it has to be something -pre-CD-era-dance music- or hiphop-related-you see out there a lot.

Comments

• meatyogremeatyogre 2,080 Posts
    I can tell you that the LEAST selling 12" has got to be The Controllers on Juana

• New Order "Blue Monday" 12" is the biggest selling 12" ever in the UK.

And their label, Factory, lost money on every copy due to the diecut sleeve.

• Phill_MostPhill_Most 4,594 Posts
    Rappers Delight?

• roistoroisto 879 Posts
    Has to be Blue Monday:

"One of Factory's resident artists, New Order, produced the biggest-selling 12 inch record ever in England, "Blue Monday", selling over one million copies (some sources say more than three million). It was somewhat helped by the fact that Factory did not release a 7-inch version of the single." (wikipedia.org)

• I can tell you that the LEAST selling 12" has got to be The Controllers on Juana

tell me about it! i have a seven inch...produced by frederick mcknight...who did "ring my bell" for anita ward and also did a version himself on juana which is dope.

• Mike_BellMike_Bell 5,736 Posts
    I thought Blue Monday held that title, period.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    Yeah I'm pretty sure that to this day "Blue Monday" still holds the title.

Shit, I bought a copy.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    "Fight the Power" was a big one, as well.

• cardovacardova 743 Posts
    well, seems like "blue monday" just might hold the title.
    anyway, what others you think might be up there?

rapper's delight is a good one.
    my first guess was "billie jean", but actually it doesn't turn up as often as it should.

• my first guess was "billie jean", but actually it doesn't turn up as often as it should.

Come to think of it, how many of you ever seen a used "Blue Monday" 12"? I don't think I ever have.

• I can tell you that the LEAST selling 12" has got to be The Controllers on Juana

haha...too true!

• DigginDiggin 319 Posts
    well, seems like "blue monday" just might hold the title.
    anyway, what others you think might be up there?

rapper's delight is a good one.
    my first guess was "billie jean", but actually it doesn't turn up as often as it should.

http://www.oldschoolhiphop.com/features/rappersdelight.htm
    The song sold over two million copies (the biggest 12" single ever) and hit #4 on the R&B Chart. At one point, the record was selling over 50000 copies a day.

• MjukisMjukis 1,675 Posts

Come to think of it, how many of you ever seen a used "Blue Monday" 12"? I don't think I ever have.

Yeah, exactly. The copy I own is like the only one I've seen. Compared to an infinite amount of "Rappers Delight" 12"s. I've heard Blue Monday as well but it seems a bit weird.

• JayGeeJayGee 313 Posts
    Blue Monday 12s are all over the place here...
    I always thought Chic "Le Freak" was the best selling 12" ever, oh well.