WHO CARES ABOUT BREAKS ANYMORE??

frenziefrenzie 174 Posts
edited October 2006 in Strut Central
Dan brought up a good point on Waxing Deep the other week - Does anyone care about Breakbeats anymore?? Personally I love a good breakbeat - and I love hearing DJs mix the up in true oldschool style - I love finding records that have been sampled by people - and f#ck it, I will even buy records just because the breakbeat is killer. One of my alltime favs would have to be Jimmy Simth 'I'm Gonna Love You A Little Bit More Babe'.. I don't care how common it might be (certainly not in my neck of the woods), but ever since I heard that getting played years back I just can't get enough of those drums before the singers come in..to break or not to break - discuss..

Comments

• dCastillodCastillo 1,963 Posts
    I care.

• KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts
    me too

• dayday 9,612 Posts
    I care[/b].

• jaymackjaymack 5,199 Posts
    I care.

especially if the rest of the song is good!!

• I like breaks.

having said that, I like them alot more if the rest of the song is listenable. I quit buyin records just for breaks a few years ago, unless its reeeeaal hard or cheep. I'd rather have a jam I can play out w/ no break than some 4bar rock terd. course, theres nothin wrong w/ a dope song with a nice tasty break somewhere in it.

• man you're gonna get Soulman all up in a frenzy again

• I'm not really flipping out over open drum breaks anymore unless they are some type shit. I'm always looking for the ill loop even if the rest of the song is on some doo-doo, but I obviously prefer the whole track to be banging.

• hell yes. i love braeks and i gotta a whole lotta hommies around planet earth that feel exactly the same way. have a nice day. peace, stein. . .

• top 5 anyone?

top 5 breaks in doo doo songs?

top 5 braeks in songs?

hell yes. i love braeks and i gotta a whole lotta hommies around planet earth that feel exactly the same way. have a nice day. peace, stein. . .

Bring em on board!

• Mike_BellMike_Bell 5,736 Posts
    I fuggin' love breaks!

• I like.

• Me too!!
    Amir

• i love me some braek to make the sex with.

premium.

• doodoo w/ drums.

ocean- put handin the hand
    mike curb- burnin bridges
    power of zeus
    that zz top joint
    david bromberg-sharon

hard as nails-

kashmere stage band-kashmere
    aposento alto
    tickled pink-reach out
    frankie seay- soul food (love the off beat drumming!)
    chuck womack- hamhocks

bonus-any n'awlins drum recording

theres my 2cents, come on big dudes, whatcha got?

• I love finding good breaks. A break is a tool in a song that gives focus and builds suspense.

Disscussing sample sources on Soul Strut? Stop snitchin'. Creating lists compiled from the internet and books, nah. The magic is finding that shit on your own and hoping no one else has it. Talking about music and records is cool. Dropping hints is alright.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    I lurve the breaks.

• I vote for the breaks, and will still continue to point at the turntable and yell "The Breaks! The Breaks!" when they are played.

• SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts

- spidey

• I am feelin' the Manfred Krug 4 record, but here are some five favs:

1.Box #2/76 on Amiga-the song "Kalogjera" has got crazy drums!!
    2.Message LP on Nova-the song "Is That The Way" is killer!!
    3.Bergendy Egyuttes LP-the version of Trammp is dope!
    4.Placebo-Humpty Dumpty-ill all the way thru.
    5.Harmony Cats-Harmony Cats Theme...I know, but it's still CRAZY!!!

amir

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts
    What up Amir!

I got five on it mayne. Never get tired of these:

1. Why can't people be colors too
    2. The Mexican
    3. Midnight theme
    4. Windy Lady
    5. Get out my life woman

• Mike_BellMike_Bell 5,736 Posts
    I'm surprised nobody mentioned Catch A Groove.

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    doodoo w/ drums.

that zz top joint

Fuck that shit!

I love some drums too (and I'm actually pleased to find them on a shitty record) but to claim ZZ (or Zep/Sabbath/AC-DC/Van Halen/etc) is only worth a damn for a break is truly missing the forest for the trees

• what up homie..pm me your addy so i can send you a copy of on track v.6.
    amir

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    doodoo w/ drums.

that zz top joint

Fuck that shit!

I love some drums too (and I'm actually pleased to find them on a shitty record) but to claim ZZ (or Zep/Sabbath/AC-DC/Van Halen/etc) is only worth a damn for a break is truly missing the forest for the trees

I'm assuming dude is talking about "It's Only Love" which is a fantastic song from front to back.

• "It's Only Love"

DOO-DOO??

BAN!!!!!

• current:
    1. brothers re-born "laugh if you will"
    2. barbara mcnair "hunter gets captured by the game"
    3. new hope "god of all of us"
    4. j.a.l.n. band "up's and down's"
    5. tages "g.o.m.l.w."

real headz blah blah blah. . .
    peace, stein. . .

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts
    what up homie..pm me your addy so i can send you a copy of on track v.6.
    amir

Good looking out! Check your inbox.

• doodoo w/ drums.

that zz top joint

Fuck that shit!

whoooooaaaaaaahhhh nelly, didnt mean to step on anyones toes, its just not my steez, personally.

i dont recall sayin it wasnt worth a damn,
    i mean the break is and the guitar is cool, just not the kind of track I'd consider "one of those bangers you deejay doods drop"

now then, i wasnt even close to speakin on sabbath, zeppelin, or any good rock.

doodoo w/ drums.

that zz top joint

Fuck that shit!

I'm assuming dude is talking about "It's Only Love" which is a fantastic song from front to back.

I sampled that shit with some Pentangle. ZZ-Top is good. And that Power of Zeus song is dope. Stop hatin.

Last 5 breaks I sampled into my PC:

Stu Gardner - Devil in a Man
    Wishbone Ash - Trust in You
    Summer of 72 Scorpio
    Dal Trey - Oceans Away
    Christine McVie - And That's Saying A Lot