completely reformatting a computer.

pjl2000xlpjl2000xl 1,795 Posts
edited October 2006 in Strut Central
My laptop has been acting a lil wierd lately so i wanna nuke the shit. Just start from scratch with it. How would one go about doing this? I have the windows cd that came with it. Its an hp. I want to format the drive so everything is gone. i use it for Microwave and ableton live with reason. whats good?

Comments

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    yo, all you need to do is pop in your windows cd, reboot, and choose to boot from the cd. windows setup will start up and will ask you what you want to reformat, which drive to install windows on, blah blah. reformat and reinstall and you will be straight. MOke's suggestion of norton ghost is good to have after you have reinstalled windows, updated everything, and reinstalled your programs. ghost creates an "image" of your hard drive which basically just serves as a backup which you can restore from.

• SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts
    yo, all you need to do is pop in your windows cd, reboot, and choose to boot from the cd. windows setup will start up and will ask you what you want to reformat, which drive to install windows on, blah blah. reformat and reinstall and you will be straight. MOke's suggestion of norton ghost is good to have after you have reinstalled windows, updated everything, and reinstalled your programs. ghost creates an "image" of your hard drive which basically just serves as a backup which you can restore from.

This guy's steering you in the right direction, Don't use that crappy HP cd though. Go bootleg Windows, like everyone else does. Backup everything you need on Cd's, then do a clean install formatting everything.

Trust me. It's the way of the force.

- spidey

• pjl2000xlpjl2000xl 1,795 Posts
    good looking. wish me luck.

• I am in desperate need of a fresh windows install.

I just partition my hard drive so that all my data is on D: and windows/apps are on C: That way when I want to reinstall windows I just format that partition and don't have to worry about backing up the data. My next computer is just going to have one drive for data and one for programs.

I used to be a total computer nerd, repairing and building custom pcs at the local computer store where I grew up.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    I must be a real nerd, cause I luv to use an MS boot disk first.

FDISK MUTHAFUKKERS!!!!

• I must be a real nerd, cause I luv to use an MS boot disk first.

FDISK MUTHAFUKKERS!!!!

Real Nerds Know The Deal.