Options

OK, I like Bob Marley now

Comments

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts

Hmmm, yeah that's cool and all, but i won't be listening to any of these played out Marley tracks in 10 years, whereas "The Official" will still be getting played on the reg. Madlib is more talented, he can do rock, he can do rap, he can do dance, and on that blunted bomb shelter cd he did all those reggae songs which put Bob to shame. I'm not saying Marley is terrible, but if he could play more instruments and was better at sampling i might like him more, like someone said about that soundclip, he should have layered some nice drums over it. The Boz Scaggs New York drums would have fit real nice over it, i don't know why he didn't do it.

Um, 'better at sampling': you serious? And if I'm not mistaken, that 'Blunted...' comp is just Madlib trawling the old Trojan (via Sanctuary) Records library... As for bein' 'played out,' most people don't know or have heard those Lee 'Scratch' Perry-produced sets - pre-Island/Chris Blackwell... I'm done replyin' 'cause this sounds like someone just playin' the fool (no offence intended)...

Sounds like somebody who is too young to know about Marley's impact on The Game in the 70s and 80s. He Must go to Dagoba system and learn about the game from........................Master Lee Perry.

• ariel_calmerariel_calmer 3,762 Posts

Hmmm, yeah that's cool and all, but i won't be listening to any of these played out Marley tracks in 10 years, whereas "The Official" will still be getting played on the reg. Madlib is more talented, he can do rock, he can do rap, he can do dance, and on that blunted bomb shelter cd he did all those reggae songs which put Bob to shame. I'm not saying Marley is terrible, but if he could play more instruments and was better at sampling i might like him more, like someone said about that soundclip, he should have layered some nice drums over it. The Boz Scaggs New York drums would have fit real nice over it, i don't know why he didn't do it.

Um, 'better at sampling': you serious? And if I'm not mistaken, that 'Blunted...' comp is just Madlib trawling the old Trojan (via Sanctuary) Records library... As for bein' 'played out,' most people don't know or have heard those Lee 'Scratch' Perry-produced sets - pre-Island/Chris Blackwell... I'm done replyin' 'cause this sounds like someone just playin' the fool (no offence intended)...

To madlib's credit, I think he DID sample himself taking bong hits for that compilation.

• PEKPEK 735 Posts

To madlib's credit, I think he DID sample himself taking bong hits for that compilation.

Can you imagine if there was a 'scratch + sniff' option for that one?

• el_sparkoel_sparko 884 Posts
    Quit the hate, i don't really want to explain my reasoning, but Madlib just has more soul, just check the jazz records he made for proof, he even got his own album on Blue Note! and the stuff he did for that was some of the best music i've ever heard, the way he blended hip hop with it...so effortless.
    Bob stuck to his one thing which is all good, but gets so boring, he's always using the same instruments and same style loops in his stuff.... The reason i compare them is because they both have similar grooves to their music, but Madlib can do so much more, as i said, that Blunted Bomb CD is the winner in a direct comparison with the Catchovire Collection.

• bluesnagbluesnag 1,285 Posts
    Quit the hate, i don't really want to explain my reasoning, but Madlib just has more soul, just check the jazz records he made for proof, he even got his own album on Blue Note! and the stuff he did for that was some of the best music i've ever heard, the way he blended hip hop with it...so effortless.
    Bob stuck to his one thing which is all good, but gets so boring, he's always using the same instruments and same style loops in his stuff.... The reason i compare them is because they both have similar grooves to their music, but Madlib can do so much more, as i said, that Blunted Bomb CD is the winner in a direct comparison with the Catchovire Collection.

el_sparko is either the most satirical and (at worst) fourth most believable alias yet, or is completely retarded and needs a special friend.

either way he's all right by me! if i ever meet you, el_sparko, i might just buy you a balloon.

Son, your diggin your own grave.
    Madlib is one of the most innovative artists in music right now but realize that Bob Marley probably influenced him. Marley helped globalize Reggae. Your trying to compare Shaquille O'Neal to Bill Russell. Russell has 11 rings to Shaq's 3. Both are prolific and have to be studied in the proper historical context.
    Go to a picnic and play Yesterdays New Quintet(which is my shit) then play some Wailers. Old folks to young folks are going to catch that Reggae groove son.You could counter with YNQ's "STEVIE" set, but its abstracted. "More soul" come on son.Im a HipHop cat who loves all the new techniques that its introduced to music,but all that "boring" stuff is what we have been using to create the sound of Hip Hop. Redemption Song is Lauren Hill's new direction. Im not some super Reggae head, but Lee Perry casts a long shadow on Madlib as well. As much as I love Madlib and all his creations, it probably wont outlive Marleys creations.
    Doing one thing very well shouldnt be used as a strike. Marley and co. were stretching the genre or maybe reinforcing it,but its a good thing.

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts

el_sparko is completely retarded and needs a special friend.[/b]

• Quit the hate, i don't really want to explain my reasoning, but Madlib just has more soul, just check the jazz records he made for proof, he even got his own album on Blue Note! and the stuff he did for that was some of the best music i've ever heard, the way he blended hip hop with it...so effortless.

This gets some comic props, but it is unfortunately a put on, and when trolling on a message board, you gotta be a little more subtle, or your covers blown and no one will take that shit seriously. Then its no fun. Take this from my internet alias_ #3080.

Peace...
    FNM

Old folks to young folks are going to catch that Reggae groove son.

That's just the familiarity of his music that makes that happen, that's what i meant by played out and boring, old and young will dance to any old "classic" if they've heard it enough times.
    Give Madlib some time, and exposure and it'll be the same, you'll catch young'uns doing the running man to beats such as "Weeded", as well as old guys chillin' on their stoop to the YNQ stuff (for the record this stuff IS underrated, some of the best jazz put out, you guys focus on the old, but Madlib's showing ALL of you that you should look at what's being put out NOW)
    Don't hate on me for expressing my thoughts, this website is about "Crate Digging and DJ Culture!" and Madlib IS that incarnate, respect his hustle, he's doing it all, he could pick a genre out of a hat and by next week be making all time classics in it.
    Bob Marley had a bunch of nice enough songs, some repetitive music, not much actual musical talent, a boring sample source, always using similar basslines, and often not adding properly kicking drums etc... (i could go on...)
    I just find it hard to compare them really, for me there is only one, and that is Madlib, if you want proof then how about how he gets shout outs from both Jay-Z and Weldon Irvine (aka the best of both worlds...).

That's just the familiarity of his music that makes that happen, that's what i meant by played out and boring, old and young will dance to any old "classic" if they've heard it enough times.
    Give Madlib some time, and exposure and it'll be the same, you'll catch young'uns doing the running man to beats such as "Weeded", as well as old guys chillin' on their stoop to the YNQ stuff (for the record this stuff IS underrated, some of the best jazz put out, you guys focus on the old, but Madlib's showing ALL of you that you should look at what's being put out NOW)
    Don't hate on me for expressing my thoughts, this website is about "Crate Digging and DJ Culture!" and Madlib IS that incarnate, respect his hustle, he's doing it all, he could pick a genre out of a hat and by next week be making all time classics in it.
    Bob Marley had a bunch of nice enough songs, some repetitive music, not much actual musical talent, a boring sample source, always using similar basslines, and often not adding properly kicking drums etc... (i could go on...)
    I just find it hard to compare them really, for me there is only one, and that is Madlib, if you want proof then how about how he gets shout outs from both Jay-Z and Weldon Irvine (aka the best of both worlds...).

"a boring sample source"

• ariel_calmerariel_calmer 3,762 Posts

This post is amazing. The more I read it, the more retarded it gets. You remind of electronic kids talking a few years about aphex twin like he's the end all and be all of music. it's a troll but dammit I've gotta bite.

I got a lot of tolerance for differing opinions. but you're seriously misinformed about music and history. A second ago you thought Madlib MADE the reggae tracks on "blunted in the bomb shelter", now you're saying bob marley had "a boring sample source"? What the fuck does that even mean?

you must be on it in your own little world. I'm sure you think Weldon Irvine (RIP) is most well-known for the few thousand LPs he put out on nodlew and his RCA material, not because he wrote for nina simone.

Plus you're comparing a modern sample-based producer to a rasta from jamaica. Do you know what it meant to be rastafarian in the 60s? Forget the dreadlocked kid playing hackey sack for a second. Being a rasta meant negative respect. Marley went to a producers house in an upscale neighborhood in ja and his servants refused to serve bob. That's what it meant - you're below a servant. Do you know who marcus garvey was, or the difference between reggae and ska? I'm guessing you don't, so how can you compare the two or even be able to say what is GOOD reggae, except from your own subjectivity? (and as KL can verify, reggae has some VERY kickings drums)

If you don't like bob marley, that's cool, but please don't pretend that an artist like Madlib is on the same level as far as influence goes. Even if you're a pessimist and don't personally like bob, you have to admit he is THE name of reggae, and yes, more talent and charisma than you can fit in a backpack. Time will show how much staying value madlib has, but I bet the only ones doing the running man to "weeded" in 20 years will be some old white douds wearing pumas and bidding up vintage stonesthrow 45s on ebay.

• YNQ stuff...for the record this stuff IS underrated, some of the best jazz put out.

WOW!! I hate to resort to just plain old 13 year old, "i disagree with you just because", name calling, but...You're a fucking herb. Wise up, then speak.

Some of the best jazz put out?? WHOA!!! That statement can only come from someone well versed in wackness.

YNQ is a great album. Really unique, certain songs even make me bug a little. GREAT!!! But how are you throwing that in there with JAZZ. Its just a tinkering at best.

Oh well, as the world turns i guess.....

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts

it is all good my friends. With time wisdom shall reach each one of us.

==================This coming from dude who said something along the lines of "Jurassic 5 is THE shit! nothing can match it!" a few years back.

• izm707izm707 1,107 Posts
    The problem with White people is they like to talk a lot but do a little...
    Madlib or Bob Marley...Ok. Kanye or Dozier?? Will Smith or Marvin Gaye?

Shit is so funny, i don't know if i have to take it seriously.

The Pap day and that makes the Strut looks like a European board...

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts

Should there even be a discussion? Will Smith's debut was stellar, and his presence and relevance to the rap scene was definitely felt with hits like "Men in Black" and "Wild Wild West". A few years have passed since that landmark album and I still can't get enough of his flows. Definitely one of my favs, along with Tupac and Chali2na.

a least you got a great sense of sarcasm...props.

• The problem with White people is they like to talk a lot but do a little...

Wow!! Its a music discussion. Keep your predjudices to yourself.

Shit is so funny, i don't know if i have to take it seriously.

The Pap day and that makes the Strut looks like a European board...

Fool, i'm actually black.... Your ignorant talk matters little to me....

• Options
    Then why even grace him with a response? And how can't a Euopean message board house someone with dark skin?

K.

• TabaskoTabasko 1,357 Posts

Wow!! Its a music discussion. Keep your predjudices to yourself.

Co-zing.

• The Pap day and that makes the Strut looks like a European board...

Seems like you would be down for this... http://mapage.noos.fr/dustyhandz/id3.htm

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts

old guys chillin' on their stoop to the YNQ stuff (for the record this stuff IS underrated, some of the best jazz put out, you guys focus on the old, but Madlib's showing ALL of you that you should look at what's being put out NOW)

HELL YES! Nothing like some sloppy rhodes & drums making noise.

sorry i didn' want to disturb...i didn't realize it was "music talk"...i tought it was some "high-on-mushrooms" discussion, some "i-got-the-weirdest-opinion-in-the-world" shit. But no, it was a music discussion. Sorry. I won't do it again.

to leave on a mystical note (dedicated to bob marley!), i've noticed that you can't mention "white people" in here without getting bashed. Is anyone feelin' unsecure or what?? I'm white myself, so please behave.lol. All that non-sense about Madlib and Bob Marley looks like a "village voice" discussion. Period. And that's white. Or looks like it...or would be labeled as such in, let's say, Brooklyn. Or Chicago too. Bob Marley is unfuckintouchable and you gotta be at least Madlib to have an opinion on dude's music. His music is not to be commented by lil people like us. Not you, not me. Such discussion are just good to flatter your ego, o make you feel like you're something or somebody. But y'all need to humble down sometimes...You CAN'T critique Bob's music and propose madlib as an alternative (or whatsoever). That's disrespecful and it means that your eardrums cannot appreciate a genius.

• ayresayres 1,452 Posts
    Bob Marley got more cut.

"Hipster Doofus"

• BigSpliffBigSpliff 3,266 Posts
    you didnt like bob before

beautiful music, thanks
    how was that released?

I know right! arent you a big reggae dude?

in parts of the world dude is basicly seen as a messiah type figure. His life, and his music, both pretty ill!

I can see how you would get sick of shit like "we be jammin" and all those annoying frat kids with copy's of legend and natural mystic.

I remember going to house parties as a youngster and the hippies, goths, punks, and hiphop kids that could tolerate each other (we're talking high school) would all be battling for control of the tape deck.... what do you do to ease the tension? Stick on Marley... Everybody loves Bob. I call it the Suburban House Party Scenario. That's got to set off alarm bells right there.

Lots of better reggae about but you can't fault the man. Maybe coulda used protection. Same goes for the bassplayer.

• MorseCodeMorseCode 1,516 Posts
    Wow. Just read through all this...

Now I'll cheerlead Madlib and what he's doing all day, but dayum Sparko, read up on your READ UPS mayne!! I'm finally starting to understand that a lot of the flack Lib is catching, a lot of times on this board, comes from his fanbase. It seems to me that a lot of cats that jump on the bandwagon don't actually realize where his music fits in to a greater musical chronology and continuum. You can hear the influences in his beats, its from a lifetime of listening to old records with an open mind. You can bet that he recognizes and respects all of these influences. Listen to the end of Chippin' on the new Quasimoto album. That's a snippet from "Mr. Brown," a Lee Perry produced Bob track. Those Perry recordings are the muh-frackin TRUTH! It doesn't get much more than that! And all the Island stuff is classic too! The reason Legend sucks so much is because of the sequencing of the tracks. Its a lot of good music, but Marley's albums, to me, are meant to be heard in the sequence they were laid out in. Take Kaya for instance, a later album but just amazing front to back. I'm saying, dude's worldwide influence is practically infinite, you just can't make that comparison. Imagining old cats at a summer barbeque doin the Roger Rabbit to "Weededed," aaaaaarrrrgghh that makes my head hurt. Seriously dude, know your history. YOU. MUST. LEARN.

• Wow. Just read through all this...

Now I'll cheerlead Madlib and what he's doing all day, but dayum Sparko, read up on your READ UPS mayne!! I'm finally starting to understand that a lot of the flack Lib is catching, a lot of times on this board, comes from his fanbase. It seems to me that a lot of cats that jump on the bandwagon don't actually realize where his music fits in to a greater musical chronology and continuum. You can hear the influences in his beats, its from a lifetime of listening to old records with an open mind. You can bet that he recognizes and respects all of these influences. Listen to the end of Chippin' on the new Quasimoto album. That's a snippet from "Mr. Brown," a Lee Perry produced Bob track. Those Perry recordings are the muh-frackin TRUTH! It doesn't get much more than that! And all the Island stuff is classic too! The reason Legend sucks so much is because of the sequencing of the tracks. Its a lot of good music, but Marley's albums, to me, are meant to be heard in the sequence they were laid out in. Take Kaya for instance, a later album but just amazing front to back. I'm saying, dude's worldwide influence is practically infinite, you just can't make that comparison. Imagining old cats at a summer barbeque doin the Roger Rabbit to "Weededed," aaaaaarrrrgghh that makes my head hurt. Seriously dude, know your history. YOU. MUST. LEARN.

hippie.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    I heard Ross Hogg hates Bob Marley.

(See, this is how rumors get started.)

• MorseCodeMorseCode 1,516 Posts
    serious lack of

right here.