best car chase scenes in movies

alieNDNalieNDN 2,181 Posts
edited October 2006 in Strut Central
what are some? although i thought the movie transporter got awful midway, the opening car chase scene is shweeeet!

Comments

• The chase in "French Connection" is by far my Fav.

Slangin giant boats around the steets.

And lets not forget these guys.

Nuff said.

Peace for now, Peace for later

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    bullit b/w the 7 ups

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,896 Posts
    There are some pretty damn good chase scenes in Ronin.

This is one of them.

• twoplytwoply Only Built 4 Manzanita Links 2,914 Posts
    Mitchell. Dude uses his turn signal to merge with traffic during a chase.

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    To Live And Die In L.A. It takes a few minutes to really get going, but when it does...

• hammertimehammertime 2,389 Posts

• kalakala 3,359 Posts
    i like vanishing point

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    To Live And Die In L.A. It takes a few minutes to really get going, but when it does...

HAd forgotten about that movie, underrated flick if ever there was one (despite the fact that I seem to recall the ending being trippily ott)

Overall for grittiness it has to be French Connection, fro enjoyment it has to be Blues Brothers.

Though this doesn't really count as a movie it's always worth mentioning as well:

C'??tait un rendez-vous

1976 short film of speeding through early morning Paris

• bullit b/w the 7 ups

Both amazing. The 7 Ups is

• snosno 332 Posts
    The two most memorable car-chase scenes in movies are from the movies with ending that really flipped me out when I was a kid:
    The Italian Job (Michael Caine one) : as a kid I always expect movies with happy endings that wraps everything up nicely, but that ending really intrigues a kid with the aforementioned mentality.
    To Live and Die in LA: it's William Friedkin for goodness' sake. I remember seeing it on rental Laserdisc and my father grabbed the remote control for chapter skip during the scene with William Petersen's getting it on with Debra Fuera. Years later when I revisited the film on DVD, my father's reaction was, "you're telling me this sleazebag is Gil Grissom?" (he's a devout follower of CSI). But the ending with the OTT violence came in so sudden...I thought that was so cool since the 80s was all about happy Hollywood endings (at least for most of the crap I've seen throughout those period).

• the chase of the pimp in Truck Turner.......

the chase of the wife killers in Fernando Di Leo 1973 italian crime flick "La Mala Ordina "(aka "the italian connection") with armando trovajoly funky score to boot

here is the dutch-version trailer

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dTe3gKIqAgc

• JimBeamJimBeam Seattle. 2,012 Posts

a real obvious one, but BULLIT. I don't think the French Connection scene outdid this one, as it claimed to when it was released...
    everything in this one blows my mind. ten minutes with no music, they don't buckle their seatbelts until 3 minutes in, the wobbly boat like handling and heavy smoke producing bias ply tires. Check the wheel hop on Steve McQueen's Mustang in the Reverse-peel out...
    that charger is

• I always enjoyed the car scenes in Ronin and Transporter

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    The 7 Ups is

I know when it's come up before you're like the only other dude who's seen it. Mad slept on, folls.

• Anything involving R??my Julienne is worth checking out.
    He's been the go-to man for innovative car chases in film for a minute now.

• The 7 Ups is

I know when it's come up before you're like the only other dude who's seen it. Mad slept on, folls.

SERIOUSLY slept on. One of the finest early-70's cop films, very gritty, realistic with a real feel for the NY area of that time.

• STILL THE SHIT!
    WILLIAM PETERSEN IS HHHAAAAAARRRRRRDDDDD!

• roistoroisto 879 Posts
    Sergio Sollima's Violent City / Citta Violenta has a pretty cool chase scene in the beginning. Not up there with Bullitt, though.

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts
    The 7 Ups is

I was going to mention this one as well. It's been a long time since I saw it, but I remember the car chase was great. That's the one where Roy Scheider's (or the bad guy's) car ends up being squeezed under a truck, right? The Don Ellis score was pretty good too as far as I remember. Was it officially released?