First Jay-Z Single

Comments

• Thats pretty awful - sounds like an everlasting intro to a possibly dope song.

• magneticmagnetic 2,678 Posts
    Seem's like a lazy idea trying to rehash something that hit in the past.
    I expected just as much from him.
    It's sounds ok.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    It's sounds ok.

What do you think of the Banks album?

• dCastillodCastillo 1,963 Posts
    A whole song about returning to the game.

• pjl2000xlpjl2000xl 1,795 Posts
    It was aight. Just blaze busting out the Lafayette Afro Rock Band horn. i havent heard that in a beat in a long time.

• needs a dash of Jaz-O

It's sounds ok.

It sounds ok i was expecting more sample based tracks though,i'm little let down by it.

It's sounds ok.

It sounds ok i was expecting more sample based tracks though,i'm little let down by it.

If even SoulStrut's own unofficial 12th member of G-Unit is admitting to being let down, the album must be unspeakably bad.

Yeah i'll concede to it's "terdness" he should've made the mixtape the album.
    or the previous draft called "The Big Withdrawal" that had some good songs on it.

Yeah i'll concede to it's "terdness" he should've made the mixtape the album.
    or the previous draft called "The Big Withdrawal" that had some good songs on it.

All good things must come to an end.

You can now focus your energies on online promotion of Mase's G-Unit debut.

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts
    It's sounds ok.

This is how I felt about the Jim Jones tape. Although, my expexcations were < 0.

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts
    Only had chance to check out the intro and first track of:

The beat was

But the vox and raps left a bit more to be desired.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts

• First Kanye used Curtis Mayfield - Move On Up, now Jay-Z with Johnny Pate - Shaft in Africa.

I'm going to start a "SAVE THE B-BOY JAMS" campaign.

I give the song a 7.5/10 though.

• First Kanye ruined Curtis Mayfield - Move On Up for all the b-boys.

Now Jay-Z ruined Johnny Pate - Shaft in Africa - My personal fav. break of all time.

Hey, Ed.

I'm personally glad that I can play "Move On Up" to almost any crowd, post-Kanye, and they'll dig it.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts

Leave it to Jay-Z to assume that pulling an all-too-obviously fake retirement scheme would further endear fans to him.

It's gotta rank right up there with me assuming that I could insult y'all into respecting Project Blowed.

First Kanye ruined Curtis Mayfield - Move On Up for all the b-boys.

Now Jay-Z ruined Johnny Pate - Shaft in Africa - My personal fav. break of all time.

Hey, Ed.

I'm personally glad that I can play "Move On Up" to almost any crowd, post-Kanye, and they'll dig it.

Look son, these are clearly ignorant listeners who do not realize that it has been ruined--and real DJs shouldn't let ignorant listeners dictate what they can and can't play!

• I think Jay-Z's a pretty good rapper.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    First Kanye ruined Curtis Mayfield - Move On Up for all the b-boys.

Hey, Ed.

Look son, these are clearly ignorant listeners who do not realize that it has been ruined--and real DJs shouldn't let ignorant listeners dictate what they can and can't play!

I would stop playin' it just cause cats would/could only reference Kanye. But........Becky will shake though.

• Hey, Ed.

That is a major positive - I can't front though, I fucks w/ all the Late Registration samples. Etta James - My Funny Valentine is one of my jams. Without the assistance of Ye, I would have never been up on it.

• First Kanye used Curtis Mayfield - Move On Up, now Jay-Z with Johnny Pate - Shaft in Africa.

Am I missing something or is this that different than his other first singles?? Seems like people were luke warm about Hovi Baby off Blueprint 2. While that shouldn't have been a double record, there's some bonkers shit on the jawn. I have a feeling (or should I say hoping) this is him brushing the dirt & cobwebs off his shoulders and will come with straight

Plus I think cats love to hate cats. "They'll always be haters that's the way it is. hater niggas marry hater bitches & have hater kids" He's never gonna outdo Blueprint 1 - get over it and I'd rather hear him over b-boy breaks than Justin Timberlake over J.D. Davis.

• I think Jay-Z's a pretty good rapper.

And the fact that he's achieved success in spite of his lack of looks speaks volumes about his songwriting talent.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    Jesus christ I was working on a beat with Shaft in Africa... funny too cause I was playing the OG in sets and was getting semi "HATTED" on by some people because the song wasn't "hip" enough I guess. Now here we go. Funny thing too, because I just finished a beat which uses "Chief Kamanawannalaya" and now Beck used that shit in his new single. At least I know I'm doing SOMETHING right... This seems to happen a lot with me. Does this happen to anyone else?

I'm going to now go and eat a piece of Weight Watchers chocolate cake and cry.

• This seems to happen a lot with me. Does this happen to anyone else?

It happens - and you're dope Cos, so you're bound to be thinking like some quality cats.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    Funny thing too, because I just finished a beat which uses "Chief Kamanawannalaya" and now Beck used that shit in his new single.

Damn, really? I've used various pieces of "Kamanawanalea" in at least five or six beats--that shit's perhaps my favorite break ever. I'm a huge fan of the song, too, and love cutting it up. What part does Beck use?

• MorseCodeMorseCode 1,516 Posts

First thing I did this morning was fill out a fradulent bank of america form online thinking it was the real deal, including my soc sec # and ALL my info, to find out I'd been had. Spent the last three hours on the phone and at the bank dealing with this shit. Son, I BEEN eating cake and crying...

maybe this Jay-Z song will put me in a better mood, gonna check it out now.

Leave it to Jay-Z to assume that pulling an all-too-obviously fake retirement scheme would further endear fans to him.

Ah, the air is fetid with the scent of little dudes this Friday afternoon.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts

The ones that look like twinkies? those aren't bad. a little dry, but not bad...

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts

Ah, the air is fetid with the scent of little dudes this Friday afternoon.

Yes, lover of Justin Timberlake...maybe one day we'll grow up to be just like you.