Soda Strut

2»

Comments

• piedpiperpiedpiper 1,279 Posts

Elderberry, Lychee, Herbs or Ginger-Orange...

organic soda, produced by fermentation of natural ingredients.

• LazerLazer 796 Posts

These are all great sodas. they make more too, like orange dream, and a ginger ale to rival vernor's

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts

Is this still available???

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Co-sign on

Dr Brown - all flavors. Celray w/ Rum =

Nehi.....I remember when it came in the tall classic tall bottle. The "blue" flav was tha shit.
    Fresca and Mello Yello were my shits back in the day.
    Where's Slice?
    I dont drink soda anymore unless its w/ rum.

But has anybody seen this joker?

Reminds me of the Blue Malt liquor(whatever it was called) w/ the Black Jazz Club advertisements.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    Anyone hip to this......found it in Missouri a few years back....local Kentucky private press!!!

Tastes like Cherry/Lemon

• paging a-ko and his raer soda can collection photo...

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts
    paging a-ko and his raer soda can collection photo...

That's what I'm waiting for.

Herm

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts

Is this still available???

I think so, considering I got one not too long ago.

• djsheepdjsheep 3,620 Posts
    and MY STAPLE SODA IN JAPAN

I like this one too

• I'm pretty much all about this shit:

Dominican. I've actually been a little salty that the corner spot across the street hasn't re-upped their stock in a while (save for one bottle with only half its contents, which sits in the cooler looking like some kid went in there, drank half that shit and put the rest back. I ain't fucking with that. And the two-litters just ain't the same.)

This is actually my second favorite soda. My favorite soda on the planet is the red soda that they have in Aruba, but I can't find a picture, and I don't remember the make. I think it's Nesbitt's, but an old formula of Nesbitt's that I haven't seen anywhere else but on the island. It might not even be Nesbitt's. Comes in a clear bottle with no label. For all I know, it's made with fine strains of heroine and crack, and will probably kill me over time, but I've loved that shit since I was knee-high to a grasshopper, and just talking about it now is making me rather fiendish.

In Aruba, we just call it "soft cora," which simply means "red soda." It's very much in the vein of kola champagne, but not quite the same thing. I've tried many a kola champagne trying to replicate, but they all fall short.

The closest approximation to it I can find is the Trini brand (I think) called Solo:

Those Solo bottles are too damn small, tho.

My other other favorite soda is Coco Rico:

I need to find some good spots in NY with this shit. I know it's here. I mean, shit, it's Puerto Rican. It HAS to be here. Unfortunately, my neighborhood is more Columbian and other parts South American, so I haven't come across it here yet. I should try finding a good asian grocery store. They usually have them there, too. I know the grocery store in Hong Kong City Mall in Alief (Houston) has that shit by the truck load, and upon a recent home visit I spotted them at the newer H-E-B nearby as well. I used to get that shit at the 99 Ranch Market on Sepulveda in the Valley when I was in L.A. Gotta figure out a spot here, hopefully in Queens. Still learning my way around.

I'm also a cream soda nut. I fucks with a bunch of 'em, but I have two favorites thus far.

1) Hansen's Signature Vanilla Creme Soda:

(sorry for the crappy image. Best I can find on short notice).

I think it's made in Oxnard. They sell this at Wahoo's in L.A. I miss me some Wahoo's. That Hansen's shit goes hard with some fish tacos and them cajun white beans. The other Hansen's fruit sodas are alright, but they're by far a lesser breed than this vanilla creme shit.

2) Virgils' Cream Soda:

I'm sure this is easier to get, but I've only ever seen it at the Getty Center cafeteria. Out of respect for it's greatness, I'm pretty much obligated to get a bottle (or two) anytime I visit there. I love going to the Getty, but, on the cool, sometimes that Virgil's shit is the highlight of my visit.

Also, on a different note, I can't forget Jarrito's Tamarindo:

I'm pretty much a sucker for all things tamarindo, tho.

If you're in the L.A. area, and you're a soda nerd, please to drop in at Galco's Soda Pop Stop:

www.sodapopstop.com

The dude that runs that spot knows too damn much about soda. Their selection is DEEP. You can buy by the bottle, or by the pack, and they even have coolers so you can knock back a cold one on the way out the store. I miss that place. For an idea of how good their selection is, just know that last time I was there they had Dr. Brown's Cel-Ray by the bottle. BTW, for those who've never tried that Cel-Ray shit: I know celery-flavored soda sounds absolutely batshit nuts, but seriously, FUCK WITH IT. You'll know.

• he only reason I even clicked on this thread is that I thought that tiger_blurp--a sometimes Texan--might have finally mentioned the one soda worthy of extensive praise:

Texas, stand up!

I toured the plant in Waco years ago and the Vice President--an incredibly friendly gentleman named William Tilman who took time out of his day to give me an unofficial tour--told me that Big Red is hugely popular in French Polynesia. What? He also mentioned that it's available throughout the continental US, but not in the original 13 colonies. Still, I haven't really seen it much outside of Texas.

I had a friend in college who used to mix it with vodka and orange juice. An odd concoction, but much better than it sounds.

• he only reason I even clicked on this thread is that I thought that tiger_blurp--a sometimes Texan--might have finally mentioned the one soda worthy of extensive praise:

Sometimes Texan my ass. You can take the boy out of Texas ... but that motherfucking boy is still a motherfucking Texan. Quit talking crazy, homeskillet.

Big Red was indeed a staple of my childhood. But it has caffeine, and I haven't fucked with anything caffeinated in almost 10 years. That's the reason I started chasing after other sodas in the first place. The overwhelming majority of sodas out there are NOT caffeinated. It's mostly only the mega soda corporations that caffeinate all their shit. You can almost bank on the fact that any cream soda or root beer not made by the big soda companies is gonna be caffeine free.

Since we're talking Texas, and Waco in particular, I have the same problem with Dr. Pepper. Dr. Pepper is straight up crack in a can. I used to drink like 12 of those hoes a day. My Dr. Pepper abuse is the biggest reason I decided to kick caffeine to the curb. You start drinking too much of those in a day, and your body starts to feel all kinds of not right.

Btw, if you ever want to try a pretty gotdamn phenomenal imitation of Dr. Pepper, stop by any H-E-B grocery and pick up some Dr. B. They used to sell that shit out the machine for 35 cents a can back when all the other soda machines were making the leap to 60 cents. Dr. B and some free carne guisada tacos I scammed from the H-E-B deli. I can't tell you how many times I had that shit during my lunch break when I was working there. That shit used to make my hairnet tingle.

All that said, Big Red and Dr. Pepper still ain't got shit on Soft Cora or that Dominican frambuesa shit, or even most kola champagnes. I liked them other shits, but it's not even close.

• sergserg 682 Posts
    he only reason I even clicked on this thread is that I thought that tiger_blurp--a sometimes Texan--might have finally mentioned the one soda worthy of extensive praise:

Texas, stand up!

I toured the plant in Waco years ago and the Vice President--an incredibly friendly gentleman named William Tilman who took time out of his day to give me an unofficial tour--told me that Big Red is hugely popular in French Polynesia. What? He also mentioned that it's available throughout the continental US, but not in the original 13 colonies. Still, I haven't really seen it much outside of Texas.

I had a friend in college who used to mix it with vodka and orange juice. An odd concoction, but much better than it sounds.

Man the other day my friend and I were talking about Big Red. He's from Oregon and I guess they sold that shit up there. I spent many summer days pounding big red and then doing cannonballs into the local pool

• grahamgraham 201 Posts
    I like this stuff..

• Sometimes Texan my ass. You can take the boy out of Texas ... but that motherfucking boy is still a motherfucking Texan. Quit talking crazy, homeskillet.

Just fuckin' with you, L. I know you're Alief for Life!

But it has caffeine

Does it ever--more than Coke or Pepsi, even.

Btw, if you ever want to try a pretty gotdamn phenomenal imitation of Dr. Pepper, stop by any H-E-B grocery and pick up some Dr. B.

That always cracked me up. Could they be any more blatant? I also love the fact that--since H-E-B is named for its founder, Howard E. Butts--Dr. B is just short for Dr. Butts.

New alias, anyone?

• Btw, if you ever want to try a pretty gotdamn phenomenal imitation of Dr. Pepper, stop by any H-E-B grocery and pick up some Dr. B.

That always cracked me up. Could they be any more blatant? I also love the fact that--since H-E-B is named for its founder, Howard E. Butts--Dr. B is just short for Dr. Butts.

New alias, anyone?
    This dude here has collected every bootleg Dr. Pepper can ever. He's got gems; Dr. Chill, Dr. Flavor, Dr. Perky...

• This dude here has collected every bootleg Dr. Pepper can ever. He's got gems; Dr. Chill, Dr. Flavor, Dr. Perky...

Awesome. Dr. Radical. I love it.

True story: At H-E-B, all employees, including managers all the way up the food chain, must address each other by their first names, because Mr. Butts and his kinfolk in the company were a little ... um ... self-conscious about their last name.

• billbradleybillbradley You want BBQ sauce? Get the fuck out of my house. 2,885 Posts
    JustAlice said:

It has been YEARS AND YEARS since Ive had the pleasure of consuming either of these. Do they even make NY Seltzer anymore?? They had the best flavors, simple and bubbly!
    New York Seltzer is being made again now. 

https://drinknewyorkseltzer.com/