Soda Strut

RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
edited March 2016 in Off Topic (NRR)
When I was a kid one of the best things about traveling to other states was being able to try the regional soft drinks that I couldn't get in NYC.Unfortunately, these days most of the small regional companies have either gone out of business or been bought by the Coke's and Pepsi's of the world.But there still are a few out there like Cheerwine in the Carolinas.Recently I was turned on to this Cuban drink...Iron Beer

And it is the shit.Rep your local soda pop experience.

Comments

• bthavbthav 1,538 Posts

i actualy hate the stuff now, but i chilled with it in my wee days... till my mom slapped the sh*t outta me for drinking it so much.

drewn had like 300000000 cases of some lemonade soda in his basement awhile back. off the hook. best part was reading the label:

contains absolutly no juice

raers hi and low.

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    PA fols will remember Cherikee Red Soda. That was thou shitteseth.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,896 Posts
    Canadians might remember

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts
    Canadians might remember

WE had a Pop Shoppe in Tacoma, WA where I grew up. Take in your case of empties, drop em off and get another case! LOL.

• mrpekmrpek 627 Posts
    PA fols will remember Cherokee Red Soda. That was thou shitteseth.

Damn! I just had a flash back of a summer at my grandma's in Meadville
    thats stuff was good

• DrJoelDrJoel 932 Posts
    i don't know how this turned into Pennsylvania Culture Day for me, but i am all over it. Plaese to report to A*Treat. My childhood favorites were a toss up between Grapefruit and Fruit Punch.

"Bullets hit brains when bottles hit lips."

They do mail order doggies.

But for my soda needs (i'm also paired down to the occaisonal can or glass):

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    My gf made me try Ironbeer in Disney. I thought it tasted bad, like a crappy cream soda. I try not to drink soda, but my favorite exotica would be Inca Cola. Not no Champagne soda, not no bubble gum soda, Inca Cola.
    Also, Birch Beer kicks ass too.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    My gf made me try Ironbeer in Disney. I thought it tasted bad, like a crappy cream soda. I try not to drink soda, but my favorite exotica would be Inca Cola. Not no Champagne soda, not no bubble gum soda, Inca Cola.
    Also, Birch Beer kicks ass too.

I don't drink a lot of soda these days....but the Iron Beer hit the spot for me.....tastes like Orange/Cream/Ginger Ale to my taste buds.....didn't hurt that I had it with some kick ass Cuban food....I can probably only handle a can a month though..

How's about Vernor's Ginger Beer...I think that's some Michigan ish...and it's great.

• Word this is nice, straight from the PI so good!
    I wish the coke spot was still open in vegas, they had some crazy colas to sample from around the world and Italy got some bitter soda fo sho!

• noznoz 3,625 Posts
    rock creek gotham cream (rip).

• coffinjoecoffinjoe 1,743 Posts
    rock creek gotham cream (rip).

rock creek always fit the budget

before south of the border dude bought the comapny, this was the stuff

always buy some when in the east tn tri city area

otherwise don't drink soda
    except the 1am jolt for travel purposes

shit on the right is NASTY !

• Ahhhh Cheerwine that was some sweet dark maroon shit. looked like blood. Tasted real good though, especially with a spicy bojangles chicken biscuit, fuck yeah. I miss NC sometimes.

Taking me even further back, though, would have to be.....Shasta. They still make that shit? Some upstate NY cola. The_Non I'm looking at you.

• definitely a ny jewish deli staple. philly is on board though and while there are only a few good delis in the city (rachel's noshery?), the burbs have Hymies and Merrys, both of which have been carrying dr. browns since i was a little kid.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    Don't drink soda that much these days but

"REAL HEADS KNOW THE DEAL."

• Canadians might remember

pic a pop=co signage

• Canadians might remember

pic a pop=co signage

Oh Shat....The Pop Shoppe....we had one in Kokomo Indiana..Loved that store as a kid.

Props to dropping off bottles and getting more sugar laced death drinks, for free even. Blue Rasberry kicked it....(look ma...Im drinkin Windex!!!!)

• Does anybody see this anymore?

• before south of the border dude bought the comapny, this was the stuff

I guess I never had the OG stuff, I just discovered this stuff a few weeks ago and I love it, I can only imagine how good it was if it used to be better!

• coffinjoecoffinjoe 1,743 Posts

before south of the border dude bought the comapny, this was the stuff

I guess I never had the OG stuff, I just discovered this stuff a few weeks ago and I love it, I can only imagine how good it was if it used to be better!

it still can't be beat,
    but og had 3 different heat levels (as i recall, fatback ? any other s.c. peep ?)

• JustAliceJustAlice 1,308 Posts

It has been YEARS AND YEARS since Ive had the pleasure of consuming either of these. Do they even make NY Seltzer anymore?? They had the best flavors, simple and bubbly!

And the Nehi.....oh the Peach Nehi. I was probably 7 or 8 the last time I had it. Fortuantly, the new absoulte peach, or Stoli Peach taste almost exactly like the soda...with the added bonus of getting tipsy of course.

Anyone feel me on these? Do they still carry them in your part of the world, the west coast gets no love. I dont even think we have SHASTA anymore.

I love how tastes and smells invoke memories of days gone.

• dollar_bindollar_bin I heartily endorse this product and/or event 2,326 Posts
    Canadians might remember

Ha ha, we had those as far south as Northern California, but they did seem more common the further north you went.

These two are getting frequent quaffings around my house:

• definitely a ny jewish deli staple. philly is on board though and while there are only a few good delis in the city (rachel's noshery?), the burbs have Hymies and Merrys, both of which have been carrying dr. browns since i was a little kid.

dude dr browns is in every fake ass deli and granola store across the country these days. I was kind of surprised to see it out here when I moved out west (colorado), but it's here. Those guys are holding strong.

How about Blue Sky? Still independent and now nationally available. Pretty good to from what I remember (been a minute since I had one).

• waxjunkywaxjunky 1,850 Posts
    I was addicted to red drink in New Orleans -- Barq's Red Creme Soda. Unfortunately, it's not my local soda experience anymore. Wish I could find it in NorCal.

• alieNDNalieNDN 2,181 Posts
    brownies represent

• pacmanpacman 1,113 Posts
    i don't know how this turned into Pennsylvania Culture Day for me, but i am all over it. Plaese to report to A*Treat. My childhood favorites were a toss up between Grapefruit and Fruit Punch.

"Bullets hit brains when bottles hit lips."

A-Treat: My grandma ALWAYS had the grapefruit soda and the ginger ale at her crib.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts

This stuff looks like Newcastle Ale.....what does it taste like??

• karlophonekarlophone 1,697 Posts
    when i was in scotland last year i was introduced to:

strange but very cool.

growing up we had "Shur Fine" brand generic soda. it was pretty good actually.

recently had one of these up in seattle. super sweet but nice:

this was the bomb as a teen:

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts

• This stuff looks like Newcastle Ale.....what does it taste like??

It's like a slightly citrus bitter-soda, very refreshing. It's a little bit too sweet, but then that's nothing out of the ordinary in the world of sodas.