cooking at home strut: what do you dudes make?

Young_PhonicsYoung_Phonics 8,039 Posts
edited October 2006 in Strut Central
sup duders:So I tend to have the dilemna of always eating out all the damn time, which gets a bit pricey and boring. And at the same time my cooking skills are nill. What are some dishes you dudes like to make that even a caveman like myself could get right.My only requirements: I'm pescatarian (I eat fish and no other meats). What do you guys usually make at home while chilling to raers and arguing over rap music? I heard Aser makes a scrumptious with some 's for desert.

Comments

• yes I would mess with that, BUT I need to get my hands dirty with the cooking.

• My ideal fall sunday:

Read paper, drink coffee, eat breakfast.
    Look at veggies in fridge/fruit basket, and see what we have to get rid of.
    Go to store to get remaining ingredients for Minestrone.

ONLY REQUIRMENT: pureed white beans, canned tomatoes (the white beans are what give it the minestrone color/taste.)

put on records; put on football w/ the sound OFF.

Chop vegetables; usually, leeks, carrots, onion & celery to sweat at the start. After 15 minutes (until soft) add chopped green beans, potatoes, pre-warmed veggie stock, chopped kale, small can tomatoes I crush in my hands as i add.

After 20 minutes, add chopped parsley, 1 can pureed white beans.

add salt/pepper to taste at each stage. don't over season.

serve with toasted bread, crutons, maybe some parm shredded on top.
    (I am a a meat eater, but i love making this on a sunday. did it last weekend, and will most other sundays-->march.)

for dessert: vanilla bean cake. pm if you want the recipe...it is ;nextlevel,sogetonmine;

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    i make salad

• My ideal fall sunday:

Read paper, drink coffee, eat breakfast.
    Look at veggies in fridge/fruit basket, and see what we have to get rid of.
    Go to store to get remaining ingredients for Minestrone.

ONLY REQUIRMENT: pureed white beans, canned tomatoes (the white beans are what give it the minestrone color/taste.)

put on records; put on football w/ the sound OFF.

Chop vegetables; usually, leeks, carrots, onion & celery to sweat at the start. After 15 minutes (until soft) add chopped green beans, potatoes, pre-warmed veggie stock, chopped kale, small can tomatoes I crush in my hands as i add.

After 20 minutes, add chopped parsley, 1 can pureed white beans.

add salt/pepper to taste at each stage. don't over season.

serve with toasted bread, crutons, maybe some parm shredded on top.
    (I am a a meat eater, but i love making this on a sunday. did it last weekend, and will most other sundays-->march.)

for dessert: vanilla bean cake. pm if you want the recipe...it is ;nextlevel,sogetonmine;

Yo this sounds good, but I fucked up boiling some eggs on monday....just to let you know AND it wasn't the first time either.

Brian:

What do you put in your salad?

Jello & Chow Mein?

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts

My only requirements: I'm a flamin' kufitarian (I eat fish, toss salads and make rap ballads).

• billbradleybillbradley You want BBQ sauce? Get the fuck out of my house. 2,889 Posts
    I make this a lot

Grilled Citrus Salmon with Asparagus and Saffron Rice

1 pack of Mahatma brand saffron rice (get the large one if you plan on serving more than 2 people)
    1-2 tablespoons butter (depending on which size rice you go with)
    1 to 1.5 pounds of salmon cut into 3 or 4 pieces
    2 or 3 oranges juiced
    3 teaspoons soy sauce
    lemon pepper
    1 bunch asparagus
    3 tablespoons olive oil
    coarse kosher salt
    fresh cracked pepper

Start boiling the water for the rice. Follow the instructions on the package. Usually takes about 20 minutes after the water is boiling.

Fire up the grill.

Wrap the salmon in some foil making a pouch that won't leak
    pour some OJ and a teaspoon of soy sauce in each pouch
    top with lemon pepper

cut the ends off the asparagus (usually you bend one and where it snaps is where you need to cut)
    coat with olive oil, salt, and pepper

Grill the salmon for 12 minutes on high heat (no need to flip the juice will simmer and cook it all the way through).

About 8 minutes into grilling the fish throw the asparagus on the grill for about 4 minutes. When they are done the fish should be done too.

Server the fish over the rice, removing the skin before if you prefer. Pour the juice from the pouches over the fish.

Sometimes I'll vary the dish and make Ribeye steaks with Alaea Hawaiian Sea Salt rubbed into them for some Surf and Turf.

• Here's a pretty easy recipe I posted elsewhere a few months ago:

Enchiladas
    Ingredients:
    1 or 2 blocks of shredded cheese depending on how much you want to make. You can use cheddar or go to a place that sells mexican products and get some real mexican cheese. Alternatively, when I'm lazy I buy big bags of pre-shredded kraft "mexican cheese," which makes it a little less authentic, but frankly it works well and even my dad goes this route frequently
    1 or 2 onions diced
    Vegetable oil
    2-3 cans of RED enchilada sauce (should be located by the refried beans and other mexican food) - I prefer hot, but when I serve it to people not used to heat, I step it down to a medium.
    1 bag of small CORN tortillas
    Chicken (usually I just do cheese but meat is easy to add)
    My dad's addition: 1 can of olives, omit if desired as it's not typical
    1 large rectangular or square glass dish (for best results)
    2-3 cans of refried beans

Get a pot big enough to fit the entire corn tortilla in with enough room to fish it out of. Doesn't need to be large, but the entire torilla needs to get in there. Fill this pot with about an inch or two of oil. Basically enough to submerge the torilla.
    In another pot next to this one put the enchilada sauce inside it. Heat both pots, but keep the sauce from boiling - although hot. Make sure the oil is relatively hot but not so hot as to fry the tortilla right away.

You need a system for this part because it has to go fast and it's tricky. Basically you're going to be putting the tortilla in the oil, then the sauce and then on the dish really quickly. You need a pair of tongs for the oil and a dedicated spatula for the sauce. also have the cheese, onion and olives close by.

1. Use the tongs and put a tortilla in the oil. Only put it in there for a few seconds!! You're not frying it, you're just using the oil to open up the tortilla so that it will soak up the sauce.
    2. Take the tortilla and place it in the sauce. DO NOT LET THE TONGS TOUCH THE SAUCE or when you put them back in the oil they will make a little burst of hot oil. Make sure the tortilla is fully submerged and coated. Here is the tricky part: Do NOT let the tortilla fold over itself or it's no longer good because it wont unstick. This part doesn't have to be fast but don't let it take forever. Use the spatula to fish out the flat tortilla and lay it down in the glass dish.
    3. Inside the tortilla sprinkle some cheese, diced onion and if desired, place a full olive in the center. You might want to omit the olive if you're using chicken. So instead of the olive, place some of the (already cooked) chicken inside. Don't stuff these with cheese or chicken, but put just enough to give each tortilla a good filling.
    4. Roll the tortilla into a relatively tight roll (don't knock yourself out over the tightness), and place it seems side down (so it won't reopen) in the corner. If you're doing this at the right speed then the tortilla should be pretty hot still so be careful, but don't wait until it's cool or else it will be harder to shape. This is also a very messy step.
    5. Repeat this process with as many tortillas as desired. I'd say the average person can eat around 3-ish tortilla worth, but always make more than you think. (tip: cold enchilada for breakfast = such a good look)
    5. At this point you should have the entire glass cooking dish lined with filled tortillas. You should have left over sauce. Take this sauce and pour it evenly over the top of all of the tortillas. Finally, take your remaining cheese (you should have a lot left over) and put it over the tortillas and sauce.
    6. Pop this in the oven. Frankly, i don't remember at what temperature but around 300 should do. You're not cooking anything, you're just essentially melting the cheese and getting everything to come together. There's no set time for cooking. It's usually around 15 minutes, but take it out whenever the cheese looks fully melted. The final product will look vastly different than what you put in if you did it right though.
    7. Serve with REFRIED beans. Don't worry about the brand or making them yourself. Beans from scratch taste a little better but it's a helluva process that I've only done once. Pick whichever variety of refried beans you like the most; there's a surprising amount of choices.

That's it. Should take about an hour and a half or so if it's your first time or around an hour if you have experience cooking. It's a really simple recipe and process once you get it down, but like i said, a lot of people screw it up because they get lazy and don't do the tortillas right.

Bonus Story: So I made these two weeks ago and saw that my grocery store had habeneros which I bought to make guacamole with. After dicing two of these peppers and not washing my hands, my left hand (that had been holding the peppers) started to burn a bit...Long story short, I had to keep my hand in a bag of ice for 17 hours, which is when I passed out from exhaustion. I really should have gone to the ER or something.

• filet of sole is easy and delicious with hot sauce. just dip in egg whites, roll in bread crumbs and pan fry.

• filet of sole is easy and delicious with hot sauce. just dip in egg whites, roll in bread crumbs and pan fry.

how many eggs do u use?

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    this muthafuckah putting me on blast
    that is not chow mein, those are bean sprouts
    that was after a gigantic yakiniku meat dinner

this exactly what i can do. simple as heck.

no offense but those recipes are too advanced for Caveman Moist.

pan fry in olive oil? or butter?

• lucerolucero 425 Posts
    over here the perennial quick & easy is the garlic + chilli + prosciutto + parmesan pasta, usually spaghetti or linguini .. guess you'd have to drop the prosciutto but
    light saute on the galic & chilli, toss in half an onion if you like too

cheap & delicious, recommend stepping it up on the pasta tip to something semi-fresh

ohh, and soul boulders arrived at mine just yesterday, bound to get a spin or two on the kitchen system

• ayresayres 1,452 Posts
    i just cooked up some marvelous shit to make your mouth watering on some "oh shit"

chicken and prosiciutto tortellini from the store
    broccoli
    grated parmesan cheese
    butter

• lucerolucero 425 Posts

butter

• Rice & beans
    Something I make all the time. Lasts for a few days and it's got mad fibre.

2 cups rice (I use brown rice)
    1 can kidney beans (you can use pigeon peas, black eyed peas, etc)
    a single onion
    2 hot peppers
    250 mL tomato sauce
    1 tablespoon butter (optional)

Heat up pot with some oil in it. Toss in chopped onions and hot peppers. Let it heat for 4 or 5 mins. stirring ocassionally. Mix in the beans/peas. Toss in the tomato sauce and mix it up well. Let everything heat up for a few minutes. Then toss in about 4 cups of boiling water plus the rice. Mix it up and boil everything for about 20-30 mins. If you're using brown rice, it takes a little longer than white. Just keep tasting it every 10 mins. to see if it's done.

Salmon with Garlic/Wine

to make the sauce you'll need:
    2 garlic cloves
    1 tablespoon thyme
    1 tablespoon rosemary leaves
    1 tablespoon parsley
    1/2-1 cup white wine
    1 tablespoon mustard
    1 tablespoon dijon mustard

Grab an empty bowl and a cutting board. Chop up the garlic. You're gonna want to chop it up as fine as you can. Add all of the ingredients into the bowl and stir.

Put you're salmon fillets in the oven. Set you're oven to the broil setting and, once preheated, put your salmon fillets in. Leave them in for about 3 minutes and take them out. Put the sauce on top of the fillets and stick them back into the oven. Cook it for about 10 minutes. You'll hear them sizzling when they are done.

• I make a salmon with garlic and chives. Mash the garlic up and top the fish with it. Sprinkle with plenty of chives, and lots of butter, wrap in foil and bake at 350 375 till done, 20-25 minutes. Enjoy with some steamed aspiration and rice or potatoes. The vegi anf fish are both good with mayo.
    ----
    Quesadillas. Corn tortillas, jack cheese and salsa.

Salsa is

tomatoes
    white onion
    garlic
    cilantro
    serrano pepers
    lime juice
    salt
    peper

all this to taste (experiment) that's a recipe my mom learned from my aunt in Sinaloa, Mex
    ----
    Mushroom quesadillas

fry chopeed mushrooms and onions in butter, add cheese, (oaxaca, mozarella, or jack) mix up and pour in heated flour tortilla

-----

Get a mexican roll, cut in half and spread refritos on it, sprinkle cheddar cheese and jalapenos on top. Toast in the broiler

that's just a few

• BreakSelfBreakSelf 2,925 Posts
    Enjoy with some steamed aspiration...

• Veggie Curry or Chili is best for listening to a new stack. when you have to take a dump, you can bring the sleeves into the shitter and read them there.

• rkwparkrkwpark 915 Posts
    i find cooking salmon pretty easy... i usually will bake it in the oven for 15 minutes, and you can really marinate it any which way you want. lemon/garlic? teriyaki? butter? olive oil? you can really experiment and not go wrong.

and of course pasta is pretty easy too. prego baby.

• Sorry to the original poster of this thread... this recipe contains sausage, but it's too delicious and easy for me not to share. It's actually a naked chef recipe, so don't tell Shadabadoodoo, because i didn't cite this shit.

Sausage Cassoulet
    Serves about 5 people
    I thought it would be good to double the carrots and tomatoes
    Would go well w/ mashed potatoes.

2 handfuls of dried porcini mushrooms, broken up
    8 thick slices of bacon
    Extra virgin olive oil
    1 large bunch of mixed fresh rosemary, thyme, and sage
    2 red onions, peeled and roughly chopped
    2 loves of garlic, chopped
    1 large carrot, peeled and roughly chopped
    ?? celery heart, finely chopped
    2 bay leaves
    ?? 750 mL bottle of red wine
    3- 4 oz cans of plum tomatoes
    2- 14 oz cans of borlotti or cannellini beans, or use a mixture
    Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
    24 chipolata sausages or 8 larger sausages (salsica worked well)
    1 large stale loaf, crusts removed
    1 small handful of fresh thyme, leaves picked

Preheat oven to 425
    Put porcini mushrooms into a dish, cover with 2 cups of boiling water and allow to soak until soft.
    Heat a large casserole-type pan or roasting pan on the stovetop.
    Slice the bacon into strips. Fry in 4 tablespoons of olive oil until crisp and golden
    Tie herbs together w/ some string and add to the bacon in the pan with your onions, garlic, carrot, celery, and bay leaves.
    Drain the porcini, reserving the soaking liquid. Add them to the pan and fry nice and slowly for about 5 min.
    Add the red wine and simmer until the liquid has reduced by half.

Add the tomatoes to the pan, breaking them up with a spoon, then add your strained porcini soaking liquor and the beans. Bring to a boil and simmer for 15 minutes. Lightly season with salt and pepper before laying your sausages on top. Break up your bread into coarse, chunky bread crumbs, toss with thyme, a little salt and olive oil and sprinkle on top of sausages. Place in the oven for around 1 hour, until the sausages and bread crumbs are golden and crisp. Remove the bunch of herbs and serve.

• I posted this a while ago in the sandwiches thread. (Is it bad that 1/12th of my posts come in the food threads??)....

Get Panera's Tomato Basil loaf and have them slice it thin.
    I often drizzle olive oil on a plate and use that instead of butter.
    Put muenster cheese in between two pieces of bread... maybe even slice some Roma tomatos and put them in there...
    Then i cook it on my george forman grill, but you could always do it on a pan like a normal grilled cheese.

Really good, incredibly easy.

• Uhhhh.... so Martha Stuart here, back for round three of this shit.

This is my favorite snack recently...

Slice roma tomatoes
    Slice mozzerella cheese (the good stuff) into pieces and put them on top of your roma slices.
    Pour some olive oil and balsamic vinegar over the top.
    Cut up some fresh basil and put it on top of your pieces.
    Put some fresh cracked pepper on top and some kosher salt.

Enjoy it.

• just got a giant bag of cherry tomatoes from the market...plan to make a spag sauce...any tips? should i roast the tomatoes with garlic in the over first before i add the ground beef. come on, who has the secret recipe tips for killer spag sauce? i want to take my sauce to the

• piedpiperpiedpiper 1,279 Posts
    just got a giant bag of cherry tomatoes from the market...plan to make a spag sauce...any tips? should i roast the tomatoes with garlic in the over first before i add the ground beef. come on, who has the secret recipe tips for killer spag sauce? i want to take my sauce to the

What do you want to prepare? tomato sauce or meat sauce with tomatoes?

• meat sauce with tomatoes...

ok, if you have high quality tomatoes I would recommend to prepare some sugo without meat instead(just add some garlic and spices).

However, for meat sauce, it??s all about ragu alla bolognese if you want the real shit, but that takes time and you need various ingredients (mirepoix, wine, milk aso). here??s an online example

you can use plenty of minced tomatoes instead of the tomato paste

cooking a "quick" meat sauce with tomatoes is somehow difficult, because the dish is usually not full-bodied. However, if you don??t have the time you can add some sugar to counter the acid from the tomatoes.

Regarding my own favourite stuff, I currently dig braised lamb shanks served with mashed potatoes and string beans.
    Cream of broccoli soup as a starter (using selfmade stocks) and cr??pe suzette flamb?? with Grand Marnier as dessert.

• HawkeyeHawkeye 896 Posts
    A boiled egg is an artform in itself. The right timing is all you need. I like it exactly 5 1/2 minutes on my cooker. Every cooker varies from the other so you have to find out which is best for your egg on your cooker.

Before I come up with some simple recipes I want to say that cooking is like making beats. When you start you will automaticly make wack beats. But when you go on and dont give you start to become better and you learn certain technics, also you know if olive oil or butter is better to fry (it all depends on taste and on temperature)

Basic Scrambled eggs:

2 eggs
    salt
    pepper
    milk or cream
    butter
    toast

Take two eggs, put some salt and pepper in it, put some milk in it. Fry it in butter (european cookers got 2 diffrent heat categories. 12 points or 6 points. If you got a 12 scale take 6 points, if you got a 6er scale take 3 points).
    It is important that egg will not be fryed to toal dryness. It should have a wet, slushy consistence (I hope you get what I mean). Put that on toasted bread with butter.

So this is the basic, if you want you can add a million things, from FRESH herbals like thyme, to garlic, tomatos, mushrooms, ham or whatever. You can try it whith diffrent things put extra on the bread from cheese to salami or just use wholewehat bread instead of whitebread.

Guacamole Basic:
    2 soft avocados
    1 lime
    salt
    pepper
    2-3 tomatos
    a fork

Mash the avocados with the fork, put the cubed tomatos in it, put half the juice of the lime in it. Than season the whole thing with salt and pepper and if you think it needs more put the rest of the lime juice in it.

What I like about this is the consistence of the guacamole. It is not so creamy like I get it in restaurants, it got littel pieces of the avocado still in it which gives you a diffrent tasting expierence and beacuse I diddnt added two million things it really tastes like avocado (By the way, a piece of avocado on toast just with salt and pepper is great too).

What you can vary/add here is things like, garlic, small onion cubes, other seasonings or chillis.

I like to eat it with tortilla chips, or on toast or on a tortilla or enchilladas.

What I also like to do is sizzeling fajita in my own style. It is a beer recipe.

3 paprika
    500 gram of pork or beef or chicken
    1 beer
    Mexican sesaoning (I use the ready ones)
    olive oil
    1 lemon
    1 onion
    1 tin of kidney beans
    sugar
    Tortillas

Cut the meat into small thin slices and fry them with little onion cubes. Cut the paprika into matchbox like cubes. Than get the meat out of the pan and put the paprika in it and fry them in olive oil till they are roasted. Put some of the beer in it. Put the mexican sesaoning in it and let it cook. When the beer is almost cooked away add a little bit of new beer. At the same time put the beans into a pot. Mash them with a fork, add 1 or 2 tea spoons of sugar. The consistency should become like mashed potatos.
    Put the meat back into the paprkia, the rest of the beer and let it cook for a while. Than taste the paprika pan and add lemon juice and sugar if needed.

What I do is I put everything on the table plus I put the cuacamole, creme fraiche/sour creme, tortilla chips and barbecue sauce on their too.

Than you can eat it like you want. I put inside my tortilla some paprika stuff, cuacamole, barbeque sauce and tortilla chips for some crunch. The mashed beans are ate the side.

Pasta sauces.

This is a neverending story you can put allmost everything into a pasta sauce.

For you as a fish lover try a basic tuna sauce:
    1 tin of tuna in oil
    Creme fraiche or sour creme
    olive oil (buy a good one, it shouldnt be the cheapest from around the corner beacuse that tastes like machine oil)
    1 onion
    1 lemon
    salt
    pepper
    sugar

Throw away the oil from the tuna tin. Fry the cubed onions in olive oil a little bit, than put the tuna into the pan. Than put the creme fraiche/sour creme in it. Taste it and seasoning it with salt, pepper, one ore two tea spoons sugar and half the lemon.

What you can add/vary here is wine instead of lemon, FRESH herbals (dryed should be avoided, if you once tasted fresh herbals you will never go back to this dry garbage).

Serv the Pasta allways with fresh grated parmesan, avoid the plastic parmesan out of bags.

Basic Tomato sauce:
    4-5 tomatos
    fresh herbals
    butter
    olive oil
    salt
    pepper
    sugar
    water
    Vinegar or white wine or lemon juice

Half the tomatos and fry them in very hot olive oil till they can simply be smashed with a fork. If its now to dry put a little bit of water in it and lower the heat. Add the herbals (thym or marjoram or rosemary). Let that cook for a some minutes. Add salt, pepper and the vinegar or white wine or lemon juice. Taste it with 1 or 2 tea spoons of sugar. Add a knife full of cold butter and let it melt. Before you put it on top of the pasta put some olive oil in the sauce.

Add/vary with diffrent vinegars balsamico or I like rasberry vinegar whatever you like. Instead of salt and pepper you can use a instant broth, I like chicken broth. Add onions or any kind of vegetable or meat or fish. I love capers f.e.

Another very simple thing is pesto. But I dont like a normal pesto because it is to dry for my taste. So I varied it a little bit.

I hate the normal pesto you can buy becausce the parmesan, olive oil and the pine nuts they use are tasting like shit. I prefer my basil to be as pure as possible. I found this:

Its just basil in some flava nutral oil.

If you cant find something similar just use a normal pesto you get in the supermarket, it will work with my recipe too.

Basil Pesto Hawkeye:
    Milerb Basil
    Creme fraiche or sour creme
    salt
    peper
    olive oil

Take 100 gram of Creme fraiche or sour creme put 2 tea spoons of milerb in it (if you got normal supermarket pesto put 2-3 table spoons in it) Mix it with pepper and olive oil and taste it. If its a little bit too salty it is great, because mixed with the pasta it will not be too salty. If its not to salty put salt in it.

Serv with fresh parmesan.

I varied it with balsamico vinegar and I made a ham version where I put fresh ham in it and put it into the microwave till the ham was smelling like ham should smell.

This is what I usualy cook on working days (except for the sizzeling fajita thing). At the weekend I do the more complex recipes.

Peace
    Hawkeye

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    So u only eat fish?

Fried Catfish filets.....

Season a bowl of buttermilk w/ Old Bay or just salt&pepper and blend in one egg.

Put three catfish filets in a bowl of buttermilk(1 carton). Marinate for up to 3 hrs or overnight. The buttermilk add a tangy flavor.

Season(salt/pepper/lemonzest) some cornmeal or panko breadcrumbs or regular flour to create the outer crust for the fish filets.

Take filets out of bowl(drain a little). Dredge fish in flour or cormeal or panko breadcrumbs.

Add 1 cup of grapeseed/canola/veggie/oil in a cast iron pan. Under medium high heat, wait for oil to shimmer or throw a pinch of the flour in the oil to see if it cooks.

Throw in catfish filets - wait for that golden brown steez.
    Drain on paper towel. Serve w/ lemon.