INI - Anything that has to do with this LP CD!

IronfeetIronfeet 516 Posts
edited March 2016 in Music Talk
"Pinchbeck- That's imitation gold if you didn't know" Com'on Classic Line... I want to hear more about this LP... Everyone talks about it and all that but let's hear more, what else about this Record that stands out in you mind! Dorthy Ashby sample?? Pete Rock didn't produce and it was actually Primo pretending to be Pete Rock? What else?

Comments

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts
    Rob O! I think I have three versions of that LP. The vinyl bootleg with the red label. Another bootleg that I downloaded off soulseek and the BBE version. The BBE version is missing a few of the songs. I also have the retail "Fakin' Jax" CD ep. RAER! About half the songs on the album have REAL dope mid 90s production. The Fela Kuti sample from "Water get no enemy" was always real cool to me. The Soft Machine sample on "Step Up" was a winner too. I think one of the bootlegs includes a few songs from the Rob O. "Superspectacular" ep as well. I need to check youtube and see if the "Fakin Jax" video is on there.

Fakin Jax video!

I think Rob O. is Pete Rock's cousin right? I heard stories about Pete Rock keeping all the Elektra and BBE money from the album and never paying the guys in the group.

I remeber that Elektra released the Fakin Jax single with 3 or 4 songs then the group got dropped before the album was ever released on Elektra. Then like 8 or 9 years later it comes out on BBE missing a few tracks.

Just found some thing I downloaded called "INI originals." It has a bunch of the original samples from the LP.

• mordecaimordecai 2,204 Posts

ah man. i love this joint.

sucks that it wasn't officially released at the time...

i could have definitely dealt with a couple more official 12"s.

the What You Say (Instrumental) is fantastic.

"No More Words"
    "Mind Over Matter"
    solid stuff.

i love Fakin' Jax but the "Unreleased Pete Rock Remix" may even top the OG IMO

Grap Luva is dope too.

• dayday 9,612 Posts

ah man. i love this joint.

Big co-sign (yo Mordecai, weren't we talking about this record not too long ago?)
    When the BBE release dropped it brought back alot of things I love (and miss) about hip hop.

I also have the inst. boot that was released a couple years ago. If I have time I'll record it and upload if anyone is interested.

• AserAser 2,351 Posts
    gah, I don't have the instrumental boot, I loafed on it.

I have a bunch of bootleg 12"s w/ terrible sound quality, those came out first. One had "Step Up", another had "Grown Man Sport" w/ an extended intro. I remember the Fakin Jax 12" was on promo for the longest damn time, at least 4-5 months before the official retail came out. That promo was like liquid gold around that time, everybody wanted a copy.

I copped the reddish/orange/brown label bootleg single lp from sandbox.pair.com (showing my northfaceness) which had pretty good sound quality compared to those 12"s. It is much better than the shoddy Loud label boot that was posted on spinemag. Around 2002, the 2lp boot came out w/ excellent sound quality, hence I bought it again.

Then around 2004? The bbe version dropped but I wasn't about to buy it for the third time.

• Yo....and I mean this w/o a hint of exageration, one of my favourite albums of all time and I think some of Pete's finest work. I have a lot of good memories associted with that album and it was a huge influence on me for the type of beats I was making at the time.

GRAP LUVA SHOULD OF DROPPED AN ALBUM. Aside from a few random cameos (nextmen, sound providers , and on the Groveman Spot EP) dude has been pretty much non-existent, which is a shame because the dude is just on point with his.

• AserAser 2,351 Posts
    he had a joint on the Wide Angles 2lp comp, it was DECENT!

what else what else, oh yeah he was on the first j-live album too.

• he had a joint on the Wide Angles 2lp comp, it was DECENT!

naw, that shit blew.

• when i got the bbe version i compared it to the vinyl version with the above cover. what i noticed was that they were at different pitches, i wanna say the above was faster than the bbe one but i could have that mixed up as its been awhile. i decided to go with the bbe one and sold the one above on ebay.

i wonder what songs from the first press orange label single lp didnt make it to the bbe one??

naw, that shit blew.
    the de la soul feat. truth enola track from that comp is a

• DigginDiggin 319 Posts
    These days I prefer the Deda lp that bbe released at the same time as INI.

naw, that shit blew.
    the de la soul feat. truth enola track from that comp is a

That's funny because the same sample (kenny burrell) that was used for Rob O's "Wonderlust" 88 keys rocked for Truth Enola's "Ill Lovin".

Ill Lovin > Wonderlust

and i just shot my post golden era jazz rap load in this thread.

• PABLOPABLO 1,921 Posts
    This boot:

Had EVERYTHING, all the songs, all the interludes, and even that extra track "Keep On" that was just
    Always ment to MP3 this version, if anybody has a hi-res version please it!
    The BBE version was always inferior to me, tracks missing, no interludes, sequencing messed up (how the hell do you not start the LP with "The Life I Live"?!).

I just finished artwork for the Rob-O album "Rhyme Pro" Sound Of Dissent will be releasing soon on CD & LP. It's all of his best tracks from the past 11 years that were on all those one-off 12"s and EP's so look out for that.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,896 Posts
    I remember the Fakin Jax 12" was on promo for the longest damn time, at least 4-5 months before the official retail came out. That promo was like liquid gold around that time, everybody wanted a copy.

Ain't it the truth. I could have sold a thousand of these at that time.

• mordecaimordecai 2,204 Posts

GRAP LUVA...has been pretty much non-existent, which is a shame because the dude is just on point with his.
    his stuff w/Kev Brown was pretty nice. "Struggla's Theme" (i could listen to that first bass hit over and over...)

• kennykenny 1,024 Posts
    is it Rob O ? or Grap Luva ? I thought Grap Luva is cousin of Pete Rock...

INI and Deda are both equality dope imo.

• rascmonrascmon 441 Posts
    the "life i live" cut is possibly my favorite pete rock beat of all time, that shit is serious

• serch4beatzserch4beatz Switzerland 521 Posts
    i love Fakin' Jax but the "Unreleased Pete Rock Remix" may even top the OG IMO

can u post a link, i dont think ive ever heard it...

http://rapidshare.de/files/35547779/InI_...Remix_.mp3.html

well not so ing in my opinion.. but the sax sample in the chorus is kinda nice

• MorseCodeMorseCode 1,516 Posts
    Deda is lyrically wack but those beats...psshhh just stupid. If only INI had had access to those too...

• good stuff... that "unreleased pete rock remix" ain't by the soul brother though...

• LordNOLordNO 202 Posts

I believe Grap Luva is Pete Rock's cuzzo. Rob O may be as well, don't know about that......
    If you live in the DC/ Murrland area you see Grap Luva at a fair amount of the local Hip Hop shows, at least I did when I was there a year or so ago. Seems like a cool cat.

also,

on that De La/ Truth Enola "Voicestress" joint.

• Just dug up a 12" I bought at the time. It has Fakin Jax and "No More," which is titled "no more words" on the BBE issue. Absolutely no info on the 12", looks like a boot of some sort, black label, only clean versions and *sob* no instrumentals. The beats on this album are beyond nuts. Pete is locked in, and he's just starting to use that Wahwah peddle. so crunchy. I remember the video for fakin jaz was getting a bit of play on rap city and such.
    SO WHAT THE FUCK IS THE SAMPLE SOURCE FOR THAT TRACK "WHAT YOU SAY" THAT PUTS ALSO USED FOR ACID RAINDROPS?????!!!!!! is the og song any good, or just that dream bassline with bongos?

Anyone check out Mareley Marl's solo on BBE a few years ago? It had a really good Grap Lova track on it. Really minimal production with this amazing little guitar lick that was chopped in a really grid like way but still sounded so fresh. I think grap lova produced it, not sure, but it definately had some pete rock "touches." doodoo album but it was nice to see marley getting some work tho.

Yeah, the lyrics are def on the group home tip, but I still listen to group home all the time, so fuck it.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    Jesus... I nead to hear this...

I've never even heard of it. MP3s? Is it buyable?

Sounds like just the kind of shit that I like......

• LuminLumin 807 Posts
    thats wassup
    i played fakin jax on the radio last time i was up in philly. definitely one of my favorite p r cuts
    my homie kems got that lp when it first came out. havent seen it since.
    how hard is it to find now?

• SO WHAT THE FUCK IS THE SAMPLE SOURCE FOR THAT TRACK "WHAT YOU SAY" THAT PUTS ALSO USED FOR ACID RAINDROPS?????!!!!!!

It's David T. Walker "Lay Lay Lay" from the Plum Happy LP

Anyone check out Mareley Marl's solo on BBE a few years ago? It had a really good Grap Lova track on it. Really minimal production with this amazing little guitar lick that was chopped in a really grid like way but still sounded so fresh. I think grap lova produced it, not sure, but it definately had some pete rock "touches." doodoo album but it was nice to see marley getting some work tho.

Produced by Quo & Aser's favourite: Kev Brown. Don't sleep on that "Hummin'" track with Roy Ayers

• Phill_MostPhill_Most 4,594 Posts

I believe Grap Luva is Pete Rock's cuzzo. Rob O may be as well, don't know about that......

Grap is Pete's brother.

• SO WHAT THE FUCK IS THE SAMPLE SOURCE FOR THAT TRACK "WHAT YOU SAY" THAT PUTS ALSO USED FOR ACID RAINDROPS?????!!!!!!

It's David T. Walker "Lay Lay Lay" from the Plum Happy LP

Produced by Quo & Aser's favourite: Kev Brown. Don't sleep on that "Hummin'" track with Roy Ayers

hmm, kev brown forgot/didnt consciously remember him on there. Ive been checking his production for a bit, really nice vibe.
    Thanks for the sample source, i will write it down and forget about it.
    I'd revisit that Hummin track but I thrashed my cd of it and dont feel like purchasing a new one...

• PonyPony 2,283 Posts
    Fakin Jax video!

I was about 15 when this dropped and I remember trying to get the CD like crazy

Was this one of the first joints where PR used that wobble/filter sweep effect? CLASSIC!