FRANK SENT ME: 2 African Mixes To Melt Your Face

13»

Comments

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,778 Posts

Any chance of this appearing on a CDR?

• BurnsBurns 2,227 Posts

I'm all for that. It would make a great stocking stuffer.
    Easily would make the shelves at my independent music stores.

• FrankFrank 2,370 Posts

I'm all for that. It would make a great stocking stuffer.
    Easily would make the shelves at my independent music stores.

I used to be quite an offender on the CDR front...
    back in NY in the late 90s I sold a total of over 7.000 copies of my three Nymphomania compilations,
    even had a silk screen setup in the basement for a semi-professional CD look...

made my share of funk 45 CD(R)s as well but only to sell at my party.

Somehow I really don't want to do it with this stuff.
    This would be disrespectful towards people like Soundway who put out legit stuff and who
    have worked hard for years on this genre unlike me, who for a year now has been scratching
    around on the surface and basicly just got lucky by being stranded down here due to my wife's job.

I really appreciate the thought and support though!

best

Frank

• FlashaFlasha 20 Posts
    Hey Frank,

have just listened to your 1st mix and well you mentioned earlier wanting to know which tracks people really dig...well, the track by Stanislah Tohon -"Paix lo" is really something, can you find me a copy of it please????

I sometimes get my hands on some very nice Afro stuff...we could do some trades??? (you might have everything you need out there but who knows...).

Right, mix 2 now...nice work!

Flasha

• FrankFrank 2,370 Posts
    Hey Frank,

have just listened to your 1st mix and well you mentioned earlier wanting to know which tracks people really dig...well, the track by Stanislah Tohon -"Paix lo" is really something, can you find me a copy of it please????

I sometimes get my hands on some very nice Afro stuff...we could do some trades??? (you might have everything you need out there but who knows...).

Flasha

Hi Flasha,

Don't have a spare of the Stan Tohon (yet).
    I'm always open for trades but prefer doing them man to man.
    First off, shipping stuff from here to the US is impossibly expensive (like about 50 bucks with UPS) and generaly kinda risky, lots of mail sacks get missing and heat and rough handling can also be hazardous... also, african records are very hard to grade. Often unplayed stock copies have noise due to bad pressing or mold that sits deep inside the grooves and has to be removed with an ultrasonic cleaner (mine is already ordered and will get here in december if I'm lucky)

you can always hit me with a want- and trades-list: [email]soulpusher@soulexplosion.de[/email]
    I'll be in the US next summer. Probably only in the NY/Philly area tough...

best

Frank

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts
    Frank,

My sister in law and her husband fly out to Botswana next week, they are gone for a year, dude is a real nice guy from Surinam and asked me for some music to take. I gave him a bunch of stuff including your 2 mixes and it has made his week. The guy keeps going on about this band called "franks mix" i tried to explain but i think he prefers it his way.

anyways, just letting you know youre mixes are truly appreciated and if you are ever in Amsterdam, the bar-tabs on me.

aLAN.

• FrankFrank 2,370 Posts
    if you are ever in Amsterdam, the bar-tabs on me.

aLAN.

I might very well take you up on that one,
    the annual rainy season usualy flushes me out of my retirement down here for the months of June and/or July. Next year, I plan on trying to get some DJ gigs together for Europe and NY, maybe I'll finaly manage to make it to Amsterdam, it's a real shame but I've never been...

best

Frank

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts
    well if you turn your PMs on ill give you my contact details...

• finally got high speed at the house, so I am able to enjoy...wow! I would expand on the ingness of it all, but it would be of the "no shit its bad ass" department...just fucking wow!

dougbe antoine -ya mi ton gbo...this is the shit! I need this record in my life!

do you have a story on this record? wow! fucking wow!

Thank You for this Frank!

• FrankFrank 2,370 Posts
    drop me an email [email]soulpusher@soulexplosion.de[/email]
    i don't understand this pm business, first i thought i just had too many messages in my inbox and deleted all except of 6 and now it obviously still ain't working???

• yes sir. thanks frank. listening to the 2nd mix now.. great great great...

rob

• FrankFrank 2,370 Posts

dougbe antoine -ya mi ton gbo...this is the shit! I need this record in my life!

do you have a story on this record?

You can see the cover sleeve and Label scan of this 45 on the old Benin/Cotonou digging thread. It's the one with him holding a machete. Don't know much about him actualy except that his stuff is pretty elusive even amongst the serious collectors of the genre.

I hope to find more of his stuff on my next trip to Cotonou in November...

I found this snapshot online, it looks like fun and also is for the most part but it's also real fucking dangerous when swerving around trucks and stuff... and the smog is unimaginable!

• subsub 311 Posts
    am i the only person having problems with sendspace? i never have a free slot to download the mix......

• am i the only person having problems with sendspace? i never have a free slot to download the mix......

same here. i'm sharing my connection n a network so sendspace wont let me do shit. Can someone re-up it on yousendit? I'm just so hyped to hear it XD

• FrankFrank 2,370 Posts
    Thanx to my friend Rainer, both mixes can now also be downloaded here:

http://www.konzeptlos.org/Frank_Afro_2.mp3
    http://www.konzeptlos.org/Frank_Afro_3.mp3

enjoy!

Frank

• Thanx to my friend Rainer, both mixes can now also be downloaded here:

http://www.konzeptlos.org/Frank_Afro_2.mp3
    http://www.konzeptlos.org/Frank_Afro_3.mp3

enjoy!

Frank

it's been said already but you rule! thanks frank!

• zimbzimb 8 Posts
    Thanks, Frank!

These mixes are an excellent listen, and appreciate your labors. This Black Santiagos track on mix 2 is killing me. What's the story on that one?

Hi,

here's a little info:

here's what I know - based mostly on the liner notes of an old original music compilation (Ignace de souza - the great unknowns) and a book called "highlife times" by John Collins (he produced a ton of ghanian highlife mostly old school stuff, but is also the guy who played harmonica on the bokoor band track "onukpa shawerpo" on the duncan brooker afro-r0ck compilation)

They were led by ignace de souza in Benin in 60s- de souza was a guy who played a whole range of styles, a lot of them new in the areas he was recording, mixing in rumba, funk and soul. He became friends with fela when he traveled to benin and played with him a few times.

there's more info in another of his books "Music makers of west africa" which can be searched through google print.

if you have a google account you can see a picture of them at:
    http://tinyurl.com/qnuuz

• E_DailyE_Daily 812 Posts
    Thanks Frank, and also good looking out for ppl serving these.
    Managed to get the senspace link to work last week and now finally peeped the mixes.

Very nice!