Who wants to fight?

yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
edited September 2006 in Strut Central
hey, it's the weekend, who wants to fight?

Comments

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts

• just downloaded UFC 63 and ready to watch the Penn-Hughes rematch (and Jens Pulver's return).

Schitt I just finished Bushido 12 and the Open Weight GP finals....FIGHTS all week son!!!

For real, though, let's fight.

• OK, all three MMA heads are here. Yuichi, tell me you saw the Pride GP Finals so we can DISCUSS that shit!

And Ben, I won't give you any UFC 63 spoilers.

• I'm told the Jens Pulver fight is a whatthefuck situation. I am going to peep tomorrow.

As for the GP finals, schitt I guess I can't spoil it if heads are still sleeping....

• and the Swick-Loiseau fight should be good (I hope). San Diego Boxing got some talented heads right now. And I met the Crow himself in Montreal last summer. Cool dude.

• jesus...i love that this place has three hardcore UFC heads. one of whom was just discussing the relative value of furniture, and is quoting mitch hedberg for his (strategic grill) location.

what a website.

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    OK, all three MMA heads are here. Yuichi, tell me you saw the Pride GP Finals so we can DISCUSS that shit!

And Ben, I won't give you any UFC 63 spoilers.

FO SHIZZLE. They weren't showing it at Hooters or any other sports bar, so you know I had to go PPV.

I'm happy for Crocop cuz he really really deserved it and earned it. Wanderlei was clearly slower, and like you predicted, Mirko was landing those counterpunches and middle kicks with a vengence as he sidestepped from Wanderlei's hooks.

I also loved the Barnett/Noguiera fight. It was ground-fighting and submission moves at its best.

The fight that excited me most was the Alexander/Sergei fight. They were swinging hard.

Now the questions are:

1) Will UFC step up to Pride's offers?

2) Will Fedor continue to be himself and stay undefeated after hand surgery?

3) Will Mirko/Fedor happen again on New Year's Eve, and will Mirko have a better shot now?

4) Chuck Liddell vs Wanderlei Silva?

On another note, Mike Tyson is scheduled to fight New Year's Eve in Pride. It will be gimicky but hey it's Mike Tyson.

okay, i'm gonna start answering these questions.

Now the questions are:

1) Will UFC step up to Pride's offers?[/b]

This is inevitable. This is what everyone wants to see now that DSE (Pride) is expanding its events overseas. President Sakakibara has stated that Pride is ready for UFC anytime.

2) Will Fedor continue to be himself and stay undefeated after hand surgery?[/b]

I would say so, unless he messes it up again. The only thing that will stop him is his injuries.

3) Will Mirko/Fedor happen again on New Year's Eve, and will Mirko have a better shot now?[/b]

There is much speculation about this. Mirko is more confident, and he was in the best condition he's ever been in for the Open Weight finals (ofcourse, he had a lot of motivation going in, saying in a post-fight interview that he would have quit MMA if he lost.)

4) Chuck Liddell vs Wanderlei Silva?[/b]

If it happens, Wanderlei's in trouble. I noticed he doesn't really have a good straight. Although most people believe Wanderlei will win. Liddell is pretty sick.

• Now the questions are:

3) Will Mirko/Fedor happen again on New Year's Eve, and will Mirko have a better shot now?

On another note, Mike Tyson is scheduled to fight New Year's Eve in Pride. It will be gimicky but hey it's Mike Tyson.

Now we're talkin! I am a HUGE[/b] fight fan.

1. Who knows...there is so much Bullshit floating around. UFC says Pride won't step up to the plate and Pride says the same shit. Who is lying? When are we going to see some crossover action? Probably never.

2. Fedor beat Mirko last time with a busted hand, and he has been fighting with one for a long time. The question is, can a man hit as hard as he hits and NOT break his hands? I love Fedor, and I hope he is in tip top. He is the hero for all the pear shaped dudes without six-packs.

3. Mirko always has a shot, but last time Fedor pressed the action and prevented Mirko from throwing his deadly left high kick. I don't think Mirko will be able to keep Fedor from grinding him down, so unless Mirko can KO Fedor, we will see a repeat of that fight.

4) I still really want to see Chuck Vs. Silva. People on the fight message boards are mostly pro Silva, but as Mirko proved, Wandy's kryptonite is a counter-puncher with a good straight. He just barells in swinging those hooks. He is aggressive as fuck, but Chuck has mastered the back-peddling KO counter-punch. I always thought that Chuck would have Wandy's number, and now that Cro-Cop dismantled Wandy, I feel it even more. Let's hope this fight happens so we can see who is the top 205 pounder. Also, with the WFA not looking to good, let's also hope that Quinton "Rampage" Jackson will jump ship to UFC so Chuck can fight him again and avenge his loss.

• I'm happy for Crocop cuz he really really deserved it and earned it. Wanderlei was clearly slower, and like you predicted, Mirko was landing those counterpunches and middle kicks with a vengence as he sidestepped from Wanderlei's hooks.

I guess it's nice to see Cro-Cop get his shine finally. But really, does he have anything is his reperatoire besides that left head kick? Don't get me wrong, it's a great left head kick, but remember how Hunt neutralized him? That was embarassing.

As for Wand, he was fighting overweight. Definitely paid a price for that in terms of speed.

Hope so. Pride's heavyweight division is superior but UFC's got some great Welterweights right now. That division is sick in the US right now.

Yes he has a better shot, but not sure if it's gonna happen. Fedor is great but I swear he sits on the sidelines more than he fights. Not to take anything away from dude, but his record is definitely aided by only fighting like once a year.

and I don't think the cage vs. ring will make much of a difference since Chuck doesn't really rely on the fence too much. But who will officiate? Pride's BS Japanese-friendly holistic no points approach? Or UFC's bumbling John McCarthy, the proverbial bull in the China shop who has singlehandedly robbed countless fighters of their victories and is long overdue for a pink slip?

• let's also hope that Quinton "Rampage" Jackson will jump ship to UFC so Chuck can fight him again and avenge his loss.

I don't think this is a fair fight anymore. Chuck has HUGELY improved and Jackson, well, he's had a rough couple years. I will always be a Rampage fan, but I don't think there's a chance he'd win and I just don't want to see that.

• just downloaded UFC 63[/b] and ready to watch the Penn-Hughes rematch (and Jens Pulver's return).

Schitt I just finished Bushido 12 and the Open Weight GP finals....FIGHTS all week son!!!

For real, though, let's fight.

DUDE. This was the best UFC I've seen in a while... be ready for some

• I wanna merk this dude that owes me money. Problem is, he's MS and I have to go to his block to do it. I know I could catch him slippin but I don't know. It's shady. I don't want it to get too complicated, but I feel disrespected. I gotta do something. Help.

• I wanna merk this dude that owes me money. Problem is, he's MS and I have to go to his block to do it. I know I could catch him slippin but I don't know. It's shady. I don't want it to get too complicated, but I feel disrespected. I gotta do something. Help.

Damn MS? I read HELLA books back in the day to try to help those folls. I hope they find a cure; that's all I can say.

Now the questions are:

Now we're talkin! I am a HUGE[/b] fight fan.

1. Who knows...there is so much Bullshit floating around. UFC says Pride won't step up to the plate and Pride says the same shit. Who is lying? When are we going to see some crossover action? Probably never.

2. Fedor beat Mirko last time with a busted hand, and he has been fighting with one for a long time. The question is, can a man hit as hard as he hits and NOT break his hands? I love Fedor, and I hope he is in tip top. He is the hero for all the pear shaped dudes without six-packs.

3. Mirko always has a shot, but last time Fedor pressed the action and prevented Mirko from throwing his deadly left high kick. I don't think Mirko will be able to keep Fedor from grinding him down, so unless Mirko can KO Fedor, we will see a repeat of that fight.

4) I still really want to see Chuck Vs. Silva. People on the fight message boards are mostly pro Silva, but as Mirko proved, Wandy's kryptonite is a counter-puncher with a good straight. He just barells in swinging those hooks. He is aggressive as fuck, but Chuck has mastered the back-peddling KO counter-punch. I always thought that Chuck would have Wandy's number, and now that Cro-Cop dismantled Wandy, I feel it even more. Let's hope this fight happens so we can see who is the top 205 pounder. Also, with the WFA not looking to good, let's also hope that Quinton "Rampage" Jackson will jump ship to UFC so Chuck can fight him again and avenge his loss.

I gotta agree with most of the things you said. Sakakibara at Pride is ready to go, no doubt. In a recent Japanese magazine, he makes this very clear.
    Because both organizations are well established now, it would be very good for MMA as a whole to have these preliminary exchanges. It'll create more buzz and excitement for the sport.

• I don't know what Dana was thinking when he set up Silva-Liddell initially, but he woke the fuck up pretty quickly. He said some BS after the Crocop-Silva fight about Chuck-Wandy being off now "because Silva just got destroyed." Right...that's why you won't let Chuck fight him.

The UFC looks sorry these days compared to Pride. Let's look at it by division:

UFC's HW division is just sad (Silvia and Arlovski--that's it, right? What, they gonna give Jeff Monson a shot?). Actually, I forgot about Brandon "The Truth" Vera. That guy is a threat.

Matt "rules" at 170, the most exciting class, but I think GSP can take it to him. That division seems like it's just gonna be PENN-HUGHES 3 and Hughes-GSP "rematches" for a while, though. Is Diego gonna get a shot soon?

185 could get a interesting, too, but I think Franklin can handle most of the guys in that division pretty well. Even with a broken hand, he sorted Loiseau who needed to WAKE UP in the first 2 rounds of UFC 63. Mike Swick is annoying.

I'm glad to see 155-ers fighting again (my weight class! ha) and I think it'll add a lot to the UFC.

And of course, LHW, or Chuck's Domain. Anyone else think that the new-and-improved Tito has a chance? I always hated that guy, but watching him take young dudes (pause) under his wing on TUF kinda made me change my mind. And I don't know that Chuck will be able to muster enough hatred/desire/anger to really take it to him like he did before. Sitting on top of the world/fucking Willa Ford regularly has gotta make you a little complacent, right?

And kitchenknight, are you, as they say, "mad"? I didn't understand your post. Are you okay with dudes discussing every other sport here except for MMA?

• Penn-Hughes was a sick fight. BJ Penn is fucking amazing... he just needs to get his cardio up, and he's going to be unwasteable.

• Penn-Hughes was a sick fight. BJ Penn is fucking amazing... he just needs to get his cardio up, and he's going to be unwasteable.

Penn alleges that he didn't gas, rather that he separated a rib trying to take Hughes' back in the 2nd. Not sure if I believe him, but it kinda makes sense.

• I don't know what Dana was thinking when he set up Silva-Liddell initially, but he woke the fuck up pretty quickly. He said some BS after the Crocop-Silva fight about Chuck-Wandy being off now "because Silva just got destroyed." Right...that's why you won't let Chuck fight him.

Chuck may be able to handle Wand. Don't think it can't happen. Wand is a monster and I can't take shit away from dude (the Jackson fights are classics and prove, among other fights, that he is not just a Japanese tomatoe can slayer). That said, Chuck continues to surprise me. If he can stay out of Wand's clinch he definitely has the KO power to finish dude. I dunno.

UFC's HW division is just sad

true.

I'm glad to see 155-ers fighting again (my weight class! ha) and I think it'll add a lot to the UFC.

obviously this is where the UFC-Pride gulf is widest in my opinion. there are, however, some great 155 pounders in Japan fighting in Shooto.

Anyone else think that the new-and-improved Tito has a chance?

No.

On another note, what's y'all's pick for the Welterweight Tournament final? With Henderson and Bustamante out I must say I've lost a little bit of interest. Kang v. Gono and Misaki v. Filho. I say Filho; dude is a monster at his weight and has a technically unfuckwittable ground game.

• On another note, what's y'all's pick for the Welterweight Tournament final? With Henderson and Bustamante out I must say I've lost a little bit of interest. Kang v. Gono and Misaki v. Filho. I say Filho; dude is a monster at his weight and has a technically unfuckwittable ground game.

It is a bummer that Hendo is out, but he BARELY squeaked out a split decision against Misaki last time, and this time he looked really, really flat. I kept wondering if he had some kind of injury. I think the tournament is going to be Kang Vs. Filho in the finals, and my feeling is Filho is going to take it. Dude is undefeated. Kang mos def has a good chance though. He is a great grappler, and if he can keep Filho off of him, and keep the fight on his feet, then his superior stand-up will take it. If it goes to the ground, it is going to be a long, grinding night for Kang. Maybe Kang's new roid strength will help him.

obviously this is where the UFC-Pride gulf is widest in my opinion. there are, however, some great 155 pounders in Japan fighting in Shooto.

The UFC has really been growing it's 155 div. Pride lightweight (which is 160 btw) is still better, with Gomi, Kawajiri, Aurelio, Ishida, Sakurai and now Melendez, all top 10 guys.

The trend in the UFC has been to promote the guys on TUF which brings people in the stadiums and to the pay-per-views. This is not a great trend in my opinion, as it focuses too much on "names" and not enough on fight records. From the UFC's perspective this makes good business sense. Why pay for proven guys, when you can build up no-names with TUF, pay them shit, and still sell assloads of pay-per-views? The new breed of MMA fan in the US are ignorant of the wider fight world, but will pay to see the TUF fighters they "know." The newest TUF is a step in the right direction at least. My hope is that Pride will force the UFC to step up its game pay for better fighters. The best case would be that the fighters can cross freely from one organization to the next, and then we could really see who is the best. Real fans want to see who is the best in the world, not the best in any given org.

Anyone else think that the new-and-improved Tito has a chance?

No.

I disagree. Tito's stand-up is greatly improved. He didn't look great against Forrest Griffen, but Tito was injured, and couldn't train properly or fight with any mobility. I always thought Tito was an ass, but seeing him on TUF changed my mind also. He is a serious fighter, and if he can push the fight with Chuck into round 4 or 5, I think that he has could wear chuck down and TKO him. Tito would have to get through those first few rounds and avoid Chuck's missiles, however, and that is no easy task. In any event, Tito is really the only person left in the UFC with ANY chance of beating Chuck. I still would put my money on Chuck, though. I REALLY[/b] thought Sobral would give Chuck problems, and could even pull the upset. Now I am a Chuck believer.

Chuck may be able to handle Wand. Don't think it can't happen. Wand is a monster and I can't take shit away from dude (the Jackson fights are classics and prove, among other fights, that he is not just a Japanese tomatoe can slayer). That said, Chuck continues to surprise me. If he can stay out of Wand's clinch he definitely has the KO power to finish dude. I dunno.

Wandy's last performance didn't change your mind at all? Cro Cop didn't just beat him, he WHUPPED HIS ASS.[/b] Randy couldn't clinch with Chuck in their last 2 fights and Wandy won't be able to either. I used to think Wandy's aggression could overwhelm Chuck, but now I think his aggression would be a liablility. If he comes in swinging Chuck will pop him coming in just like he did Randy x2, Horn, and Sobral. If Wandy stays on the outside, though, Chuck's reach is just too much of an advantage. Anyone can get caught, but I see Chuck taking this one.

some pics from Fox Sports Grill Irvine's "The Real Deal" promotional event:

• Chuck may be able to handle Wand. Don't think it can't happen. Wand is a monster and I can't take shit away from dude (the Jackson fights are classics and prove, among other fights, that he is not just a Japanese tomatoe can slayer). That said, Chuck continues to surprise me. If he can stay out of Wand's clinch he definitely has the KO power to finish dude. I dunno.

Wandy's last performance didn't change your mind at all? Cro Cop didn't just beat him, he WHUPPED HIS ASS.[/b] Randy couldn't clinch with Chuck in their last 2 fights and Wandy won't be able to either. I used to think Wandy's aggression could overwhelm Chuck, but now I think his aggression would be a liablility. If he comes in swinging Chuck will pop him coming in just like he did Randy x2, Horn, and Sobral. If Wandy stays on the outside, though, Chuck's reach is just too much of an advantage. Anyone can get caught, but I see Chuck taking this one.

I'm saying. I DO think Chuck takes that fight. But Wand is still a contender, and no, the Cro-Cop fight did not change my opinion at all. Cro-Cop is a one trick pony (killer left head kick). Don't get me wrong: it's a GREAT trick. But put him up against a dude with an unstoppable chin like Hunt and dude is largely neutralized. That said, Chuck beats Wand.

And I for one never hated on Tito. I was always on his side during the Lions Den beefs, etc. and his TUF performance proved what I always knew. But Chuck will beat him in my opinion nonetheless.

• And I for one never hated on Tito. I was always on his side during the Lions Den beefs, etc. and his TUF performance proved what I always knew. But Chuck will beat him in my opinion nonetheless.

we are in 100% agreement sir!

It was really great seeing Tito train dudes. He clearly LOVES the fight game, and cares about fighters. I used to kind of think he was a punk, but I think he has a real big heart (to go with his enormous melon! Ha!)

• man that's one of MMA's greatest disappointments on the right there. and one of the most surprising comebacks ever on the left (though it's time for dude to retire nonetheless)

one of my favorites; but I must say I always thought it would be his brother that went the distance.

best heavyweight ever (next to Nogueira of course).

• I have just finished downloading UFC63 (bit torrent rules)and I am looking forward to watching. We have absolutely no coverage of UFC here in Australia but I love it.

One guy from TUF 3 that really impressed me and will be a potential champ is Mike Bisping.He is 11-0 and download a few of his Uk fights from youtube to see his is the real deal

The latest season of TUF has been interesting but that Shonie Carter should be given ADD or ADHD medication

I have done martial arts for about 10 years and love watching UFC but it does make you feel pretty pumped up. Luckily I live in a peaceful hippy town.

• MMA strutters plaese to not sleep on this guy. I predict big things.

Melvin Manhoef