I'm bored - ask me sth about Euro/German raers

Comments

• just got 10 copies of kontrast private press---what is this album going for these days

• FrankFrank 2,370 Posts

2.[/b] Was Snake in the Grass a serious act, or were they just trying to cash in on the modern sounds of the time.
    just played it to a big collector. he didn't even know the lp. must have been a seriuos attempt. there are some good records on those bugdet labels, whcih were never release again. it sounds more like a band from england though.

You're talking about this record called "hot and sweet with beat" with a bunch of feet on the cover, on a label called "Musik die sich jeder leisten kann" ?

I had inherited that one from my dad's collection...

Is it raer? in demand?

I traded it away with all my better european records for funk 45s 7 years ago and sold the rest for dirtcheap to a record store. was tired of listening to them and moving around with them.

Oh and by the way, Grope, thanx for your nice words on that other board in the thread about the thread on the fryer board...

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts

You're talking about this record called "hot and sweet with beat" with a bunch of feet on the cover, on a label called "Musik die sich jeder leisten kann" ?

I had inherited that one from my dad's collection...

Is it raer? in demand?

I traded it away with all my better european records for funk 45s 7 years ago and sold the rest for dirtcheap to a record store. was tired of listening to them and moving around with them.

Oh and by the way, Grope, thanx for your nice words on that other board in the thread about the thread on the fryer board...

you're welcome!
    I wanna go to Africa! My mom spent almost a whole year in Africa in the early 70s (mainly Namibia, Sierra Leone. Liberia, the Ivory Coast and Nigeria, I think).
    She brought home some Fela Kuti LPs.

Yeah, Snake In The Grass - Hot And Sweet With Beat on OPP - Musik die sich jeder leisten kann
    It's a good listen. Sounds like the Doors are playing. And there's one funky track on it.
    Still a dollar bin find though. I've seen it on eBay for around 10 Euros. I don't know if it's well known or sought-after. But it sounds like a serious attempt and most people I play it to like it a lot. It's neither rare nor expensive, so it wasn't a mistake to sell it. It's just a good listen. At least to me.

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts
    Yo Grope,

what's the deal with Gustav Brom? I already have "Polymelomodus" & "...Plays For You Pop, Jazz & Swing". Which other LPs would you recommend?

Ahh and don't forget to call me this month!

Polymelomodus is best. The Plays For You... is cool too. I don't know of any other good Brom LPs. Mostly cheesy Jazz or Easy Listening.

I think Jeronimo isn't that good. Not my kind of music.
    It's just rare. The reason why the first official pressing is so different from earlier stuff is because they changed the guitarist. Most German Prog and Kraut collectors hate on the first guitarist. He must have been pretty bad.
    Why their latter albums don't sound the same?! I have no idea. Bellaphon didn't release too many "own" records. I have no idea, why Jeronimo is considered rare. The other Bellaphon releases are usually pretty easy to find over here. I don't think the Jeronimo LP was ever cancelled or so. Must have been a regular release in tiny quantities. I just know that it's one of the very few own Bellaphon productions. Maybe they thought it wouldn't sell... but people really liked that record. They were #1 on the billboard charts in the UK and Germany, right? So maybe it was just sold out quickly.

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts
    Is Stardust Int'l any good or just a collectable?

yeah I want to know this too. The homie and felow soustrutter Pcaman found a copy in a Phx thriftshop

Grope: how many good releases did the ORF big band have? were they only known to be funky during the time Art Farmer was performing with them?

It has two REALLY good tracks on it...and it's very hard to find. Only seen it once "in the field". Released in Sweden, btw.

Man, I have NO clue how that record ended up out here. I was just wondering if it was really limited to 200 copies and if there were any cool stories behind it.

By the way...........

As'i Es La Vida
    http://www.yousendit.com/transfer.php?action=download&ufid=CD0DD7A97F17CA94

Rock Me To The Music
    http://www.yousendit.com/transfer.php?action=download&ufid=4383FBB04E45DC09

And it's got a few other fairly decent moments, but I think these are the 2 cuts that stand out.

Never seen that one. Only read about it. No idea how rare or expensive.

ORF? They have at least 2 very good libraries. They recorded with that Fehrling guy (or whatever his name is). They played on many records. I think they even recorded the TRIP LP on Telefunken/ORF. So there are A LOT OF good records by the ORF orchestra. Not only with Art Farmer. I don't think that he was responsible for the good and funky music. All their musicians were pretty dope!

• FrankFrank 2,370 Posts
    I wanna go to Africa! My mom spent almost a whole year in Africa in the early 70s (mainly Namibia, Sierra Leone. Liberia, the Ivory Coast and Nigeria, I think).
    She brought home some Fela Kuti LPs.

I'm kinda booked out right now until April/May but generaly, I always love to have visitors over. Just need to plan ahead. I'll probably stick around the west african area for the next 3 years or more.

Yeah, Snake In The Grass - Hot And Sweet With Beat on OPP - Musik die sich jeder leisten kann
    It's a good listen. Sounds like the Doors are playing. And there's one funky track on it.
    Still a dollar bin find though. I've seen it on eBay for around 10 Euros. I don't know if it's well known or sought-after. But it sounds like a serious attempt and most people I play it to like it a lot. It's neither rare nor expensive, so it wasn't a mistake to sell it. It's just a good listen. At least to me.

yeah, I remeber liking it.
    I think it almost sounds like it was two different bands on the record like on many of the budget records.

I always thought they had a simular sound as the soundtrack to Ingrid Steeger's "Ich, ein Groupie" / "Das Maedchen mit dem Einwegticket"

Now in case you haven't seen this movie, you should immediately go and get it, you won't even believe me when I try to tell you how cool it is... and it got rereleased on DVD! Used to be a tough find on VHS rental and a real cult classic!
    No, I' really am serious!

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts

I always thought they had a simular sound as the soundtrack to Ingrid Steeger's "Ich, ein Groupie" / "Das Maedchen mit dem Einwegticket"

Now in case you haven't seen this movie, you should immediately go and get it, you won't even believe me when I try to tell you how cool it is... and it got rereleased on DVD! Used to be a tough find on VHS rental and a real cult classic!

I've seen the soundtrack, but I always thought that the movie must be pretty bad. I'll watch it next week! Thanks for the tip.

Thanks for the offer!
    I'm pretty sure that I will go to Africa one day. But not in the near future. I'll contact you whenever I can go. Thank you so much!!!
    I'm still a student and need to finish college first. I was pretty lazy during my first semesters. I'm really scared of the coming tuition fees. Germany sucks!

• what's crackin gropeski?
    knowing you love funky jazz, I"m curious as to what are your 5 favourite euro lp's raer or not--------it actually doesn't have to be jazz whatever your faves

your on some encyclopedia gropetanica on this thread

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts
    i'm not an expert. i know some good european records, but i really can't compile a proper top 5 list.
    here's a quick list of extremely nice, more popular European LPs:

Plus - s/t on Pink Elephant
    Atlas - 1 on Bacillus/Bellaphon
    Powerhouse - 5+4 on PEER
    Augusto Martelli - Black Sound From White People on Philips
    Mindbender - Stringtronics on PEER
    Dave Pike - Got The Feeling on Relax
    Staff Carpenborg - Fantastic Party on Maritim
    Vecchio - Afro Rock on Music De Wolfe
    Stefano Torossi - Feelings on whatever label
    Sunbirds - s/t on BASF
    Wolfgang Dauner - Oimels on MPS
    Romano Mussolini - Mirage on PDU
    32nd Turn Off on Jayboy

I don't know much about Italian soundtracks and libraries. I bet my top ten list would be all Italian otherwise.

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts

Plus - s/t on Pink Elephant
    Atlas - 1 on Bacillus/Bellaphon
    Powerhouse - 5+4 on PEER
    Augusto Martelli - Black Sound From White People on Philips
    Mindbender - Stringtronics on PEER
    Dave Pike - Got The Feeling on Relax
    Staff Carpenborg - Fantastic Party on Maritim
    Vecchio - Afro Rock on Music De Wolfe
    Stefano Torossi - Feelings on whatever label
    Sunbirds - s/t on BASF
    Wolfgang Dauner - Oimels on MPS
    Romano Mussolini - Mirage on PDU
    32nd Turn Off on Jayboy

i think those records live up to their hype. that's all! no recommendation. just a bunch of records i really enjoy!

• upskibooupskiboo 2,396 Posts
    i'm not an expert.

you sure bout that, could have fooled me holmes

• SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts
    Grope, reccomend me some good 3 letter krautrock bands. Something along the lines of Can, Neu, Gaa, or Egg.

Also do you know if the Can Peel session was ever made available on Wax. A bootleg maybe?

- spidey

• hey grope are there any other good vocal german records like taht hildegard knef-knef album ? or at least the best songs on that one ? you know like funky easy listening with german singing ?

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts
    hey grope are there any other good vocal german records like taht hildegard knef-knef album ? or at least the best songs on that one ? you know like funky easy listening with german singing ?

yes. on the Amiga label (Eastern Germany). But those albums are either more rockish or soulish.
    there are some cool Schlager records. I never buy them, because they are kinda expensive at my local store and eBay. i remember that chris bruhn was responsible for some of the best Schlager records I listened to. I can't remember the singers name though.

Hildegard Knef is still very special. A unique recording. And there are very few recordings by her that sound alike.

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts
    Grope, reccomend me some good 3 letter krautrock bands. Something along the lines of Can, Neu, Gaa, or Egg.

Also do you know if the Can Peel session was ever made available on Wax. A bootleg maybe?

- spidey

PSI on Bacillus

• I bought that record with the shiny cover and the guy who's eye seems to pop out while smoking a joint by Etcetera. Now the cover is certainly OG but the record is very light and the label looks reissue, with an ugly greenish illustration on it. I can probably look it up somewhere online but since you say you're bored, maybe you can fill me in.

Manfred Krug... I wouldn't know why you would want to down that guy. Ein Hauch fon Fruling (spell check) is kind of essential in my opinion. Excellent playing and arrangements to all killer no filler songs. That other one is partly horrible I agree. Bad singing? And you like Plus??? That guy deads an otherwise nice funk-rock record. I can't listen to that voice!

• strikerstriker 146 Posts
    Are you sitting on multiple copies of Der Hund Von Baskerville?

and if you are can i have one cheap

• FrankFrank 2,370 Posts

I've seen the soundtrack, but I always thought that the movie must be pretty bad. I'll watch it next week! Thanks for the tip.

What, there is a soundtrack LP for this movie?
    I really need this.
    Any idea where I could cop it?

The movie is completly nuts. At some point, halfway through it, they had to fire the director. The entire set was high and they were shooting and reshooting a certain scene for three days in a row.

I'm still waiting for a letterboxed uncut version but the DVD is cheaply available and it's certainly mindblowing. I'm having a hard tim not spoiling your fun by revealing any details...

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts
    I bought that record with the shiny cover and the guy who's eye seems to pop out while smoking a joint by Etcetera. Now the cover is certainly OG but the record is very light and the label looks reissue, with an ugly greenish illustration on it. I can probably look it up somewhere online but since you say you're bored, maybe you can fill me in.
    OG has the pink/black Intercord label. the original cover is a gatefold.

Manfred Krug... I wouldn't know why you would want to down that guy. Ein Hauch fon Fruling (spell check) is kind of essential in my opinion. Excellent playing and arrangements to all killer no filler songs. That other one is partly horrible I agree. Bad singing? And you like Plus??? That guy deads an otherwise nice funk-rock record. I can't listen to that voice!
    there's a huge difference between Plus and Manfred Krug! Manfred Krug can't sing. I can't stand him.
    How can you hate on Plus? Plus is great. The singing makes that LP very special IMO. I don't know. Maybe I'm wrong, but I think that, unlike Manfred Krug, the singer from Plus actually adds to the music.
    See, I like Atlas and most other people hate on that record. I told you that I'm not an expert at this. So I can just tell you what my opinion is. Plus is one of my personal favorites. Not because it's expensive or rare, but because it touches me to the quick.

I like some songs on those Manfred Krug records (there aren't just two), but I can't stand Manfred Krug. The G??nther Fischer band is cool. Great band. But Manfred Krug? Never that son! He's an actor that tries to sing. Some of his songs are just totally wack!

We don't think the same. But that's cool. Usually a perfect precondition to go digging together.

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts

What, there is a soundtrack LP for this movie?
    I really need this.
    Any idea where I could cop it?

I think I've mistaken it for Engelchen. Sorry!

• I like some songs on those Manfred Krug records (there aren't just two), but I can't stand Manfred Krug. The G??nther Fischer band is cool. Great band. But Manfred Krug? Never that son! He's an actor that tries to sing. Some of his songs are just totally wack!

Ha ha, you really don't like him! Actually, I didn't like the German language for a long time because it reminded me of long hours at school, but these Krug records made me realize how beautiful and poetic the language actually is. His pronunciation is really good. Probably says more about my poor frame of reference than about Krug. But this is not a Manfred Krug thread so lets leave it at that.

We don't think the same. But that's cool. Usually a perfect precondition to go digging together.

Ha, I won't let you have Plus. I'll take that. Actually, I can't remember it being sold anywhere. haven't ever seen it on Ebay. Must be pretty rare.

So I have the OG cover but a reissue record. Bummer. There are some nice minutes on that record.

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts

Ha ha, you really don't like him! Actually, I didn't like the German language for a long time because it reminded me of long hours at school, but these Krug records made me realize how beautiful and poetic the language actually is. His pronunciation is really good. Probably says more about my poor frame of reference than about Krug. But this is not a Manfred Krug thread so lets leave it at that.
    Hmm. His pronounciation is actually a bit strange. The pitch of his voice and his articulation make me cringe sometimes
    He squeezes some words very badly.

Ha, I won't let you have Plus. I'll take that. Actually, I can't remember it being sold anywhere. haven't ever seen it on Ebay. Must be pretty rare.
    It's incredibly rare! But there was a copy on eBay this week.
    I don't need it anymore. We SHOULD go digging together! haha

So I have the OG cover but a reissue record. Bummer. There are some nice minutes on that record.
    I love it! I just wish it had some live tunes. You should look at the Et Cetera live video on youtube! Amazing! Dauner died last month! RIP!

• There was one on ebay... so did it fetch a decent amount? I've got it too btw.

hey, another question. There's this exploito cash-in record by "The Hard Rockers." It's terrible, apart from one track called Afro-Rock. Sounds like it's from a altogether different session. What's the story?

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts
    Dauner died last month! RIP!

maybe not!!! please excuse.

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts
    There was one on ebay... so did it fetch a decent amount? I've got it too btw.

hey, another question. There's this exploito cash-in record by "The Hard Rockers." It's terrible, apart from one track called Afro-Rock. Sounds like it's from a altogether different session. What's the story?

don't know it!

• Grope knows the deal!

What's happening man? You gotta come to my new home in SOuthern England. Records to be had, palm-trees and art-chicks.

Now, list the ugliest mugs in German raer with pictures plaese.

- J

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts

Now, list the ugliest mugs in German raer with pictures plaese.

• I have a question about those "Pyramid" label records.The UK label Psi-Fi did CD re-issues of supposed unknown mega-rare krautrock records by bands like The Pyramid,The Nazqul,Temple,etc... Supposedly these originally came out on a tiny private label called Pyramid run by a guy called Tony Robinson.Apparently these were only available at a handful of art exhibitions,hence the rarity.Problem is noone has seemed to run across any OG's.

This whole story has been called bullshit many times. Do you know if these Pyramid records are/were legit??

Also were there ever any records released by a band called Graupner? (Supposed 70's commune private uber-raer) I call bullshit on this one too.Can you confirm?

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts
    I have a question about those "Pyramid" label records.The UK label Psi-Fi did CD re-issues of supposed unknown mega-rare krautrock records by bands like The Pyramid,The Nazqul,Temple,etc... Supposedly these originally came out on a tiny private label called Pyramid run by a guy called Tony Robinson.Apparently these were only available at a handful of art exhibitions,hence the rarity.Problem is noone has seemed to run across any OG's.

This whole story has been called bullshit many times. Do you know if these Pyramid records are/were legit??

Also were there ever any records released by a band called Graupner? (Supposed 70's commune private uber-raer) I call bullshit on this one too.Can you confirm?

i will ask a local dealer next week. i'll let you know what he says. he's been collecting/buying/selling for almost 40 years. he should know.