Axl Rose v. Fugazi

2»

Comments

• twoplytwoply Only Built 4 Manzanita Links 2,914 Posts
    I saw Nirvana play the day after the 1992 MTV music video awards when Kurt got into a bit of a tiff with Axl. Apparently, Kurt was holding newborn Frances backstage when Axl was walking by. He and Courtney asked him to be the godfather and Axl flipped out, threatening them. At the show the next day, they related this story, talking about how Axl wanted to fight while he was holding a baby. Some fan in the crowd was yelling at them and was allowed onstage to defend Axl. Krist debated him for a few minutes and then kicked him back off.

Was that the No on 9 benefit? I was at that one too. All I remember about that show was having my first cigarette and getting poked in the eye really hard.

• snicka_gsnicka_g Hong Kong 276 Posts
    i remember going to hip-hop shows with ppl geting real dumb by crowd surfing. if this happened in our area of the crowd, me and homie cashless would always do some shit like punch the dude in the nuts or grab their shoes and throw them across venue or twist their leg a direction it shouldn't be going. fuckin idiots.

I saw MOP with Adam F at Fabric in London right after they blew up with Ante Up. Fabric is a crazy night club where EVERYONE is one something xtc speed etc. They came into the mainroom and played a three song set and the crowd was going nuts! People stage diving, crowd surfing and MOP where throwing out 12" and stickers so people were wilyin out! They had been playing chill music before MOP started so I think the room was filled with tons of people just chilling and coming up on their drugs and they all got rushed by a ton of people wanting to be at the front of the stage. After the 3 song set the room cleared and I remember seeing people walking out from the crowd looking SHOOK! it was one of the funniest things I have ever seen, this one guy walked past me mumbling to himself "that was crazy, that was crazy, not safe, not safe" the look on his face was pricless. I guess you had to be there to see a bumch of kids wacked on on E moshing to MOP.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    Damn you guys are breaking frames out of the tables
    and nobody told me?

At least when I'm sitting in a bar and the shit starts
    to go down I can hear the tables turning over.

Also : "Guns N Roses" played a show in S.F. last week?

Okay here is a fu'n SHOWSTOPPER : Jesus Lizard live in Dallas.
    Yow gets nailed behind the ear with a glass bottle, and
    goes down. Y'all know some shit went down at Jesus Lizard shows

I don't know how to embed YouTube videos, so here's the link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uu9lUbf5GQ0

[table]

[/table]

DAMN! that takes me back. shit, i need to pop on some lizard RIGHT NOW! holy shit, that takes me back. he got naked both shows i saw him almost 10 years ago. dudes fucking crazy. those shows were insane.

thanks for posting that up terry!

Dude seriously FUCK DALLAS. The city that I least like to perform in.

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    I saw Nirvana play the day after the 1992 MTV music video awards when Kurt got into a bit of a tiff with Axl. Apparently, Kurt was holding newborn Frances backstage when Axl was walking by. He and Courtney asked him to be the godfather and Axl flipped out, threatening them. At the show the next day, they related this story, talking about how Axl wanted to fight while he was holding a baby. Some fan in the crowd was yelling at them and was allowed onstage to defend Axl. Krist debated him for a few minutes and then kicked him back off.

Was that the No on 9 benefit? I was at that one too. All I remember about that show was having my first cigarette and getting poked in the eye really hard.

yes no on 9 with Tool I believe.

Nah, I don't think Tool was at that show. I remember Poison Idea, though. Maybe you're thinking of Lollapalooza '92. That was also out at Portland Meadows and Tool played the second stage. (I was really bummed that Mercury Rev had already been kicked off the tour by that point, supposedly for drowning out the main stage.)

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts

Nah, I don't think Tool was at that show. I remember Poison Idea, though. Maybe you're thinking of Lollapalooza '92. That was also out at Portland Meadows and Tool played the second stage. (I was really bummed that Mercury Rev had already been kicked off the tour by that point, supposedly for drowning out the main stage.)

It was Helmet. God, remember those guys?

Thankfully I have no recollection of them playing.

Here's the real question: were you at Phantasmagoria out at Blue Lake Park? I remember walking by one of the ten stages and feeling really sorry for the band because only 3-4 people were watching them play. I hung out a bit, at least long enough for the lead singer to say, "Hey, we're Everclear..."

• It was Helmet. God, remember those guys?

I don't know what other people are getting out of this thread, but I am rockin out
    "to die unsung would really bring you down"

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Helmet doing FBLA at SXSW '92 =

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts

Here's the real question: were you at Phantasmagoria out at Blue Lake Park? I remember walking by one of the ten stages and feeling really sorry for the band because only 3-4 people were watching them play. I hung out a bit, at least long enough for the lead singer to say, "Hey, we're Everclear..."

Never saw those guys. I was more of a Hazel fan around that time.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts

Helmet were a completely kick ass live act back then -
    I have never seen a riff band play so tight before or ever since.
    Those dudes could stop on a fuckin' dime, and switch the tempo
    without one instrument falling out of line. Hard. As. Fuck.

Oh shit, I remember once trying on dresses with Pete Krebs at Ray's Ragtime (long story). Hazel was amazing. What was the drummer's name? Jodi, or something like that? I saw them play at the Lion's Hall in Keizer once, and in the middle of their set she puked all over her kit, but she kept on playing like a trooper.

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts

Oh shit, I remember once trying on dresses with Pete Krebs at Ray's Ragtime (long story). Hazel was amazing. What was the drummer's name? Jodi, or something like that? I saw them play at the Lion's Hall in Keizer once, and in the middle of their set she puked all over her kit, but she kept on playing like a trooper.

The creative tension in that band was amazing. Fred the dancer lives in my neighborhood. He rides the strangest bike. It doesn't have handlebars. It has a nob. Genius.

• W
    So of course like a true super-hero...Brent, who maybe weighs a buck twenty five, punched this Goodie Mob mosher in the nuts, took his shoes off to throw them across the room, and then twisted dude's leg into a pretzel.

Sure that happened.

LOL!

I'm kind of buggin' that you know Brent as well