JAY DILLA - THE SHINING

2»

Comments

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    to be quite honest "Since i left you" >[/b] "Entroducing" & "Donuts"

• And although I should prob give Donuts another chance I think its way overrated around these parts. But then I'm not that big on "instrumental hip hop" these days anyway.

Donuts is good ...but its a Beat Tape .......listen to it once ...put it away for a couple weeks ....listen once or twice more ....put it away for a month .....not something i can listen to consistently enough to consider a classic

The beats are more remarkable than anything on that Avalanches album though (and I'm not hating that one). Apples and oranges, however. Donuts is the end of all beat tapes. It seems that was its intent--an overdose of dope. Genius use of sampling. Great samples. A pace for the ADD folks. Major rewind-worthiness. And dope. Shit is dope.

Jeep music.
    Since I Left You has major salon vibes.

deej, you're in Chicago?

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    I is.

• edpowersedpowers 4,437 Posts

Since I Left You has major salon vibes.

True ...but "Workinonit" would sound perfect in a Dodge Stratus commercial

• I is.

where you hiding?

• HamHam 872 Posts
    This beat tape is also very good:

http://www.sendspace.com/file/vvmell

• Since I Left You has major salon vibes.

True ...but "Workinonit" would sound perfect in a Dodge Stratus commercial

I really don't see that one.

• But I'm really kind of nervous about "Jay Loves Japan". The beat in the EPK was probally the hottest thing on there.

The vocal sample that goes "Can't you see it's me that loves you baby." The track is sooo ill, it's on Dilla Beat tape 3 I beleive.

Another cosign about "Won't Do" on the Shining - excellent track.

• And although I should prob give Donuts another chance I think its way overrated around these parts. But then I'm not that big on "instrumental hip hop" these days anyway.

Donuts is good ...but its a Beat Tape .......listen to it once ...put it away for a couple weeks ....listen once or twice more ....put it away for a month .....not something i can listen to consistently enough to consider a classic

I think Donuts qualifies as a bit more than a "beat tape". I've put so many miles on that album already it's ridiculous.

• when i first put donuts in i admit i was a little disappointed... what the hell is jay doing? i asked myself. then, a week later, i realized i hadn't taken out of the cd player yet and it didn't come out for another week after that. donuts is brilliant. the last instrumental cut is a sample from "when i die" by motherlode - brilliant.

the shining is not what it should have been. a few nice beats and raps and yes, busta should have busted instead of yelling - kind of a waste of a mediocre beat anyway. black thought rips it and i love both the common cuts. oh and guilty simpson is nice also. overall, its not a complete album. i heard jay loves japan once in a lounge with too much other shit going on so i couldn't get a grasp on it but it sounded better than the shining.

anyway, jay is still great.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    I is.

where you hiding?
    Grew up (nonspecific) north side, living on the near-west, south of wicker park (thus "20something playground") and i work on the south side

Calling The Avalanches "salon music" is kind of true but also pretty unfair. Thats about like me saying Donuts is 'trip-hop'

I think Donuts qualifies as a bit more than a "beat tape". I've put so many miles on that album already it's ridiculous.

I wont spoil Donuts by talking about what I think it means and yadda yadda. I think its far more than a beat tape. On the same level as some thing like tolstoy's "Death of Ivan Illych."
    Quick story:

I listened to it once pretty quickly, and was a bit dissapointed. Kind of thought the madlib influence was too upfront, Dilla had lost a step and so on. Then about a month later, my girl and I were on a road trip. I put it on, and got the same reaction. But for about three hours all the phrases were repeating in my head. I put it on again and this time something remarkable happened. Neither I or my gf said a word after the second track. At around track 28, I realized that I was having an incredibly emotional experience. I looked over at my girl and she was wiping tears away. We listened to it twice more after that in a row.

I cant say enough about this abulm, but Ill try and shut up. It is what music and art are supposed to be about. Beautiful order dissolving into chaos and vice versa. Notes are disintegrated into thousands of pieces. heartbeats fluctuate. Death and rebirth are experienced. thank you dilla.

If you cant feel it, i understand totally. I wasnt ready for it at first. But in the right frame of mind, it is a total experience of life, of living and dying and love. It is tragic, and heartfelt and truthfull. If you were hating or kinda eh on it, give it another chance if you are willing to confront what dilla did. if not, thats cool.

• jaymackjaymack 5,199 Posts

I cant say enough about this abulm, but Ill try and shut up. It is what music and art are supposed to be about. Beautiful order dissolving into chaos and vice versa. Notes are disintegrated into thousands of pieces. heartbeats fluctuate. Death and rebirth are experienced. thank you dilla.

If you cant feel it, i understand totally. I wasnt ready for it at first. But in the right frame of mind, it is a total experience of life, of living and dying and love. It is tragic, and heartfelt and truthfull. If you were hating or kinda eh on it, give it another chance if you are willing to confront what dilla did. if not, thats cool.

• Knowing that he made the album basically from his death bed makes it that much more special. Sure there's straight bangers but a lot of the little soul snippits are so touching.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts

Donuts is the end of all beat tapes. It seems that was its intent--an overdose of dope. Genius use of sampling. Great samples. A pace for the ADD folks. Major rewind-worthiness. And dope. Shit is dope.

i think his beat tape volume 3 is the end of all beat tapes. thats why shining & jay love japan just don't hit me like they should. hearing all those beats instrumental, 1- 2mins each, packed together like that (over 30 of them), that's the way jay made it, and thats the way it shold be heard.

donuts on the other hand is one of the greatest hip-hop albums of all time.

yeah i said it. hip hop[/b], not instrumental hip hop.

• donuts is brilliant. the last instrumental cut is a sample from "when i die" by motherlode - brilliant.

YA SEE! Little things like that could make Donuts an album that people will be talking about for years to come. Has any hip-hop artists done something like that? I can picture some stuffy white guy teaching a summer course on donuts and connecting all the messages and themes together at a junior college in ,like, venice beach.

QUALIFIES AS TRANSFERABLE CREDIT TO STATE AND/OR UNIVERSITY PROGRAM.

• on the quick tip, not too sure how many peeps here checked the donuts sample mix by some dude AME that was posted in the announcements a while back - it helped give me a much much better appreciation of donuts, highly recommended::

http://rapidshare.de/files/29415927/amedonutsmixx.mp3

and theres a lil 30 second video of records in the mix which is worth a viewing or two ..

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts

YA SEE! Little things like that could make Donuts an album that people will be talking about for years to come. Has any hip-hop artists done something like that? I can picture some stuffy white guy teaching a summer course on donuts and connecting all the messages and themes together at a junior college in ,like, venice beach.
    See, now yr convincing me to NOT check it again.

• YA SEE! Little things like that could make Donuts an album that people will be talking about for years to come. Has any hip-hop artists done something like that? I can picture some stuffy white guy teaching a summer course on donuts and connecting all the messages and themes together at a junior college in ,like, venice beach.
    See, now yr convincing me to NOT check it again.

Nice camera work Drew !

Yours Truly,

Stan

• Jeeez! Listening to these unreleased beats, impressed. Then I hear Black Merda - Cynthi Ruth. That brings up enough thought, then I hear the craziest Syl Different Strokes usage. But aside from sample-spotting nerdery, shit is just...

Killing it.

Fuck the Avalanches. Sampling Madonna and shit.

(((I still like that album)))

• ..and this pitched down Rock Steady shit.

R A W

• Johnny Harris?

• ...ends Brethren

• -

• found it.