Sharon Jones... Ever Heard of Her?

jinx74jinx74 2,287 Posts
edited September 2006 in Strut Central
i had... just never really listened to her music even though i have her records. always heard good things about her from $1bin and others. DrWu played her USA 45 for the wife and myself when we stopped by his crib in Portland. really that was all i knew of her. that was until my homegirl from LA bought us tix to last nights show at Bimbos here in SF. WOW! a nice mixed crowd of ages and skin tones were dancing to the DJs northern soul tracks up until the band came on stage. sharon jones is RAW. the amount of energy she has, the voice, the band killing it behind her, and the words to her tracks made me come home and listen to her records for a couple hours. i loved how she interacted with the crowd. pulled folks on stage and danced with them, called folks out in the audience for different reasons, etc. she did a super nice ballad at the end of her set that sent me off quite pleased at her whole set. really, i dont go out much. i mostly could give a shit whose performing for free or not. however next time shes in town, i will definitely be checking her out again...anyway, i just wanted to share my sharon jones experience with yall...downside #1: really... i know the white kids want to dance really bad when they hear funky music... but dont. no serious.. youre embarrassing yourself and your family name. just groove to the music... dont go shaking around and doing hippie in the park dances. standing around those folks would of made me leave immediately if the music wasnt so damn good.downside #2: hipsters... get the fuck out. talking through the set about nothing. drinking and spilling all over the place. control yourselves shitcocks! seriously... stop being bitches...

Comments

• kalakala 3,361 Posts
    when they do that gospel 2 step shit ,sharon looks like she gonna explode
    that is the best live act ever
    the lps can't hold up to that energy
    they need to release a double live lp

• just breezing through jinx's post and noticed the word -shitcocks- never heard that before.

sharon jones is tonight in LA and i'm missing it!!! shit, got signed up last minute to play jazz dance at a party. i don't really know if i'm going to miss the LA sharon jones experience though. i found out about the show when i haphazardly picked up a weekly, if i hadn't of done that i wouldn't have even known about it!!! not the same as them playing the club next to my record store, selling records to the band, then djing their show afterwards.... i know a bunch of mofo's on here know what i'm talking about.

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    J****n, glad you guys got to see them. I think every band should be required to go and see them and observe how they put on a show.

• ok got the listing here,

SHARON JONES AND DAP KINGS:

HENRY FONDA THEATER (AKA MUSICBOX ON HOLLYWOOD)

they will most definitely rip shit. i'm almost curious to go just to see how OC is going to represent at this function. nobody knows how to get down like the OC.

• downside #1: really... i know the white kids want to dance really bad when they hear funky music... but dont. no serious.. youre embarrassing yourself and your family name. just groove to the music... dont go shaking around and doing hippie in the park dances. standing around those folks would of made me leave immediately if the music wasnt so damn good.

for real though, i have a hard time knocking people for dancing no matter how bad they are. unless they're spilling a drink on me or something, who cares?

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts
    downside #1: really... i know the white kids want to dance really bad when they hear funky music... but dont. no serious.. youre embarrassing yourself and your family name. just groove to the music... dont go shaking around and doing hippie in the park dances. standing around those folks would of made me leave immediately if the music wasnt so damn good.

black?! white?! it's just some DNA issue. your character and your dance moves are most certainly not encoded by DNA. what's next? white people shouldn't sing? white people shouldn't collect the true black man's funky soul?
    i bet you like to watch wite girls dance A LOT! and i bet you'd tap!

:5pager:

• jinx74jinx74 2,287 Posts
    downside #1: really... i know the white kids want to dance really bad when they hear funky music... but dont. no serious.. youre embarrassing yourself and your family name. just groove to the music... dont go shaking around and doing hippie in the park dances. standing around those folks would of made me leave immediately if the music wasnt so damn good.

for real though, i have a hard time knocking people for dancing no matter how bad they are. unless they're spilling a drink on me or something, who cares?

dont get upset with me cause you and your friends cant dance hammer... i promise not to laugh at you if i see you gyrating on the dancefloor.

all joking aside, i also dont care if someone is losing themselves in teh moment... we ALL can do that. i mostly just laughed at them with the wife and our friends. i do care when drinks are being splashed on me and cats, who have no rhythm to begin with, are stepping on my feet. so yeah... i care. its cool you dont though. i just dont have patience for ignorance and drunken foolishness... that, and/or im just grouchy.

Wu: yeah man... we ended up buying the 45 you played for us at the show cause A) its hella good and B) they played both songs at the show.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

black?! white?! it's just some DNA issue. your character and your dance moves are most certainly not encoded by DNA. what's next? white people shouldn't sing? white people shouldn't collect the true black man's funky soul?

You sound white.

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts

You sound white.

but my shirt is black.

• where's harvey canal when you need him?

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts

This is how I feel about half the times I deejay soul here

hahaha... youre HILARIOUS kid. sheeeeeit... THIS was racist?!?! you kids are sensitive about your dancing overseas huh? look im sorry honky that your dance moves are wack but please... slow down. [color:white] i can keep this up all day... how many people can i upset today? haha [/color]

• Upset that the hipsters discovered Sharon Jones before you did?

• In terms of whats worse:

Jerkoff hipsters > hippy shuffle

I can't hate people for looking foolish as hell. That's like projecting white shame. At least their trying. However, these pricks who come because they think it's cool, but then talk through the whole show should just stand outside and smoke cigarrets. They'll save $20.

Upset that the hipsters discovered Sharon Jones before you did?

die...

• SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts
    MS. Sharon Jones. One of the only things that I would rush to LA to go see. The music is soo good. I overlook that there's usually maybe only a few other black people who went to see them. Well, hope we have good luck with trying to get in.

peace

- spidey

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    In terms of whats worse:

Jerkoff hipsters > hippy shuffle

I can't hate people for looking foolish as hell. That's like projecting white shame. At least their trying. However, these pricks who come because they think it's cool, but then talk through the whole show should just stand outside and smoke cigarrets. They'll save $20.

When I went to see LA Carnival the place was FULL of these fucks who just stood in the way and talked all through the show. It was more important to been seen at the show than actually seeing the show. Getthefuckouttahere with that disrespectful bullshit.

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts

hahaha... youre HILARIOUS kid. sheeeeeit... THIS was racist?!?! you kids are sensitive about your dancing overseas huh? look im sorry honky that your dance moves are wack but please... slow down. [color:white] i can keep this up all day... how many people can i upset today? haha [/color]

we're BOTH joking, right?

• dollar_bindollar_bin I heartily endorse this product and/or event 2,326 Posts
    sharon jones is RAW.

Oh shit, you were there too? No diss on the Elbo Room, but it's nice that they've finally graduated to Bimbo's--The sound on point from the first song on (the last show she spent the first 5 songs fighting with the sound man trying to get the levels correct), it was crowded but not suffocating, and the show was over by 11:30PM for us non-hipster types who have to get up and go to work. Not that I didn't want a longer set, I can't remember the last time 2 hours passed so fast.

• noznoz 3,625 Posts
    dont get upset with me cause you and your friends cant hammer dance...

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    i mostly just laughed at them with the wife and our friends.

"Their dancing...it amuses me."

• LamontLamont 1,089 Posts
    I forgot what race everybody on this board is.

• I was at the show last night too... Sharon and group absolutely destroyed shit as I was expecting, closing with a pretty crazy cover of There Was A Time with a bit of the Tighten Up woven in there. I personally found the venue to be pretty suffocating and cramped with gyrating hippies and was not expecting the show to start that damn early... we got there around 9:45 and she was already well into her set! But a great show nonetheless.

• I'm going to the LA show tonight.

Seen them many times in London, and DJ'd a couple of times for the warmup.

Looking forward to it, as usual - just hoping the DJ's don't bust out the Abba tunes which is apparently what happened last time when Sharon played LA.

grope: yes...

I personally found the venue to be pretty suffocating and cramped with gyrating hippies and was not expecting the show to start that damn early...

jesse: dude its cause you werent smoking weed in there... shoulda been around our party. holler!

• But I'm sure I got a contact high, there was a serious cheeba haze.

If I had know you were there I would have looked. I thought you didn't go out, but then again neither do I usually. Sharon Jones brings out the nightlife hermits.

• I got the chance to see Sharon Jones play at a the Umbria Jazz festival in Italy this summer.

She played 2x 2hour shows a day for 2 weeks on a free stage, I went to see her 3 times in the 2 days i was there!
    She and the Dap Kings were killin it!!

On that same festival I went to see Solomon Burke and James Brown perform.
    I was standing front row and guess who was standing next to me being the craziest James Brown groupie ever?
    She was so full of energy, screaming all the lyrics, dancing crazier then all the white folks there!
    People were not even paying attention to James anymore, LOL!!
    She totally hyped the crowd around her and was such a wonderful person she was just hugging and sweating on everybody around her hahah..yeah she's awesome!!

• JRootJRoot 861 Posts
    JINX74,

I'm glad that you got a chance to see Sharon Jones, and that you've resurrected her music from your crates. She is a great soul singer, and like all truly great soul singers, she's even better live than she is on record. If what you saw is anything like the show I saw at southpaw in Brooklyn in 2002 or so (maybe early 2003), it is really inspiring and incredible. i wouldn't have stepped on your toes or spilled my drink on you, but you and your wife would probably have laughed at me. I think I danced, which is usually worth laughing about. I don't really care if your laughing with me or at me, because man, I'm dancing.

what if we all stopped paying taxes?
    JRoot

PS What's with the Budos band on Daptone? Are they afro-funk? Are they any good?

• LewisLewis Connecticut 101 Posts
    been seeing them for years. they are truly one of the best bands out there today hands down. i will without hesitation drive the 2hours from CT to NYC anytime they play there. Just caught them at an outdoor free park gig in Harlem which was just mindblowing... I dance like mad every time i go. Although i must admit i can cut it up pretty well on the dance floor there usually isn't many good dancers at most of their gigs. I know in Europe a lot folks folks really get down at their shows, unfortunately not so much over here.

PS What's with the Budos band on Daptone? Are they afro-funk? Are they any good?

Just saw them as well at their 45 release gig in brooklyn which was off the charts . They are absolutely amazing and shred some seriously heavy afro-funk that is totally in a league of its own. I can't recommend them enough. They are just straight up lethal on record and live.

• downside #1: really... i know the white kids want to dance really bad when they hear funky music... but dont. no serious.. youre embarrassing yourself and your family name. just groove to the music... dont go shaking around and doing hippie in the park dances. standing around those folks would of made me leave immediately if the music wasnt so damn good.

downside #2: hipsters... get the fuck out. talking through the set about nothing. drinking and spilling all over the place. control yourselves shitcocks! seriously... stop being bitches...

just saw them tonite in LA with/for my girl (it was at the top of her birthday request list), and i had the exact same 2 downsides occur as well... combination of a westside kcrw crowd and silverlake hipster crowd (well it was a "kcrw presents" show after all), although downside #1 was occasionally very very hilarious (imagine weakly thrown air punches, off-beat arm flapping and dead on shaggy from scooby doo movements). downside #2 was in full effect though, we were surrounded by people who felt the urge to have full on conversations throughout the show, vapid, annoying conversations spoken by equally vapid, annoying people. who gives a shit about how drunk you and your bitch friend were at the standard? talking in a loud annoying voice does not make your conversation more important than the show you paid to see, and why the fuck did you even come in the first place? someone even leaned over and literally said "could you please shut the fuck up?" we ended up moving to a different spot, because i'm sure if we stayed there longer, my girlfriend woulda clocked one of those chicks with a ryu-style uppercut.

but miss jones definitely ripped it, especially at the end of the encore when she broke down all these different dances (boogaloo, tight up, mash potato, chicken strut), and even made the band do some of their own. excellent excellent show.