Thursday Finds PAPPPP!

ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
edited May 2005 in Strut Central
I did some real world digging today in Stockton and Sacramento and found these for cheap:

Comments

• Young_PhonicsYoung_Phonics 8,039 Posts
    I did some real world digging today in Stockton and Sacramento and found these for cheap:

you went to that spot in Sacramento and got them reggae records? Enki and me went there and past 'em.

You find that Mar-Keys at that one spot?

• coselmedcoselmed 1,114 Posts
    Real headz want to know what's the thread count of those sheets?

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts

Have you played the record at top left yet? I keep passing over it at a local spot, but always wonder if it's worth grabbing.

Nice find on The Politicians.

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    Mar-Keys is from Replay in Stockton, reggae is from K street in Sac, others are from The Beat on J street.

• schnipperschnipper 528 Posts

In the mail from a trade. I was very excited

Have you played the record at top left yet? I keep passing over it at a local spot, but always wonder if it's worth grabbing.

That's a Cadet Concept joint; kinda rockish with nice drums. I like it, so definitely check it out.

Real headz want to know what's the thread count of those sheets?

Those are Polo sheets; ~400 on the thread count, soft like a womb. I cherish my time inside of them.

• Pulled out a C. Henry Woods Troupe 45 from a pile of rubble this week, among other things...

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    A local spot got profiled in the newspaper today, so I figured maybe they would put out some fresh shit for the new customers, and I had a little paypal cash come through, "like records for records:"

(with Duane Allman & Duck Dunn)

yeah, it's Sandy Nelson, I know...but I couldn't resist the versions of "Hey Joe" & "Gloria"

One I've enjoyed the most so far is the Gene Clark, nice moody mid-60's folk rock, it's his pre-byrds stuff, and sounds like a more focused Byrds...

Also, in the mail today, from an auction by The eBay Baron of Soul Strut, Anthony Pearson:

Marvin's Groove has the sweetest break, oo la la...

• ariel_calmerariel_calmer 3,762 Posts

In the mail from a trade. I was very excited

As has been noted by soulstrut illuminati (NO LIZARDPEOPLE): triple plus good rekkid right there.

• ariel_calmerariel_calmer 3,762 Posts
    Also, in the mail today, from an auction by The eBay Baron of Soul Strut, Anthony Pearson:

Marvin's Groove has the sweetest break, oo la la...

I brought up that auction and saw there were a few left, I said, ahhh, I'll go to lunch and think about it.

Came back and found out I had slept while somebody picked up the last 5 lots in one go.

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    Damn, Themz some nice tings! Kudos to you, sir!

I can't even remeber the last time I've had a day like that.

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    Love and cherish Musart.

Word. Are you settled in Nor Cal yet or are you in limbo somewhere? I have mad free time right now.

Love and cherish Musart.

Fa sho.

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    nice solid finds dood, keep those sandals clean

good to see that Bo & Ruth outside of SoCal

• DJ_PhillieDJ_Phillie 199 Posts
    Hit up the record store before I went to work and got:

Notorious Miami - S/T
    Mother's Finest - S/T
    Joe Tex - Soul Country
    Chambers Brothers - The Time Has Come
    Ray Charles - Invites You To Listen
    Aretha Franklin - Aretha's Greatest Hits

plus these cassette tapes:

Busta Rhymes - The Coming
    D Nice - To Tha Rescue
    MC Lyte - Aint No Other
    Schoolly D - Smoke Some Kill

nothing amazing, spent $15.

• yes, also thanking a.p. for those 45s!

• BeardedDBeardedD 770 Posts
    Came back and found out I had slept while somebody picked up the last 5 lots in one go.

Don't worry, he has a couple 100 more.

• BeardedDBeardedD 770 Posts
    PS My Thursday find was Bobb Trimble. Not the record, but the man himself. (Real headz...)

• CosmophonicCosmophonic 1,172 Posts
    I always liked that Salloom and Sinclair, there's a track on there with a really good bass/drums breakdown. Dope finds.

I'm going digging for some cheap stuff today after about a month of nothing. I'm all jittery and excited!

- J

• DJ_WubWubDJ_WubWub 874 Posts
    i just moved to a new town 3 weeks ago and this area is the hippie epicentre of Australia. I put an ad in the local paper ($10 a week cost) and a few people called me up wanting to sell records. i bought 50 lps of a lady for A$100 mainly classic rock and psych rock they included

i was stoked to get an Og electric ladyland with the nude cover and also picked up Blackmans Burdon-War and Eric burdon it has a dope inner gatefold (sorry bad pic

• LazerLazer 796 Posts

and quite few more 45's too, but nothing too crazy.

Did anyone catch the Last Poets on Regis just now?

PAP PAP PAP PAP PAP PAP PAP PAP

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    That East St Louis Gospelettes is , correct?

• LazerLazer 796 Posts
    I like it, but not as much as the earlier one. Oliver Sain is the engineer. It's some soulful gospel w/a funk tinge, take it or leave it, I don't know what you were expecting.

"Carry Me Over" is the track.

I'll post audio after work.

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    I like it, but not as much as the earlier one. Oliver Sain is the engineer. It's some soulful gospel, take it or leave it, I don't know what you were expecting.

Well, I enjoyed the secular Stevie cover on one of their other records... but I'm also a gospel fan, and when I listened to this one I was not moved to purchase

I can't remember if it was a bad recording or choral vocals which turned me off... but I tend to like small group gospel

• gruntgravelgruntgravel 559 Posts

and quite few more 45's too, but nothing too crazy.

Did anyone catch the Last Poets on Regis just now?

PAP PAP PAP PAP PAP PAP PAP PAP

gotta dig the Tarkus cover.

• crashcoursecrashcourse 214 Posts
    that ege for trade?
    i found...
    harlem river drive
    byard lancaster - personal testimony
    bridget st john - ask me no questions sealed
    groundhogs - who will save the world sealed
    roy harper - lifemask sealed
    wire - 154

• LazerLazer 796 Posts
    I like it, but not as much as the earlier one. Oliver Sain is the engineer. It's some soulful gospel, take it or leave it, I don't know what you were expecting.

Well, I enjoyed the secular Stevie cover on one of their other records... but I'm also a gospel fan, and when I listened to this one I was not moved to purchase

I can't remember if it was a bad recording or choral vocals which turned me off... but I tend to like small group gospel

It's a pretty *HOT* recording ala most of Sain's work, musta been the choral arrangments you didn't dig(dug), it is from 1980. I think i paid $2, I feel that was a good value.

that ege for trade?

ege bamyasi?

Nope, sorry (I generally don't trade anyway). I'm stacking those like baseball cards.

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts

Word. Are you settled in Nor Cal yet or are you in limbo somewhere? I have mad free time right now.

Still in OC for two more weeks.