Thursday Finds PAPPPP!

13»

Comments

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    Bob Dylan looks like Vincent Price nowadays, shit's creepy. Great songwriter but never dug his vocals. Thought I was the only one...

Oh yes, he does look like vinnie price! uncanny.

I like Dylan. I even like his voice. I do get kinda bugged by how joe-everyman-music-critics have perpetrated the lie that he & fuckin' John Lennon are theee great song writers period, when there is gene clark & other dudes who are as good & better.

Oh well, I'm kinda going off about a dumb thing I guess.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts

One I've enjoyed the most so far is the Gene Clark, nice moody mid-60's folk rock, it's his pre-byrds stuff, and sounds like a more focused Byrds...

nice find, and indeed it is a great record. but it's not his pre-byrds material at all, it's basically different mixes of the tracks that eventually became his first post-byrds solo record with The Gosden Brothers.

perhaps you are getting this album confused with the Byrds "pre-flyte" lp?

what do you mean by more focused byrds?

Well, I posted that after I had just brought it home and played it for the first time, and hadn't read the (extensive) liners on it...I also get spaced and forget that by 1966 the Byrds had been kicking around for almost 2 years, and that Clark was already out of the group by then. It ain't like that Byrds Family Tree is easy to keep up with!!

More focused Byrds; I don't know if it's the playing or the production or both, but these just sound like Byrds tunes I like, but easier on the ear, not so much smoother as played more tightly? I think I say "focused" because where the Byrds sound was often a combination of individual styles, these recordings just sounded like Gene Clark doing his thing.

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    get Roadmaster.