Phill Most Chill - The Be Intelligent EP

sloppywhitesloppywhite 230 Posts
edited September 2006 in Strut Central
Just got the email on this from Diggers With Gratitude.Limited to 100 copies.a-side1: Be Intelligent (vocal)2: Be Intelligent (instrumental)b-side3: Release Yourself (vocal)4: On Tempo Jack (instrumental)5: Accept No Substitution (vocal) - bonus raw dusty edit from Phill's personal acetate!AD:http://www.diggerswithgratitude.com/projects/images/forum_advert.jpghttp://www.diggerswithgratitude.com/projects/test/audio/pmc_snippet.mp3Damn Phil!Shit sounds At 45 pounds (about $85 bones), i'll have to sell some shit this weekend to get ready.Nice one, Rare Dave!!!

Comments

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,896 Posts

If I pick one up, can I get it autographed by you Phill??

You gotta sign it sayin' "THAT REAL SCHITT"

With maybe a letter of authenticity which is only a txt of the log from a SoulSeek convo!!!!!!!!!!!!

• 100 copies?

!

• If I pick one up, can I get it autographed by you Phill??

You gotta sign it sayin' "THAT REAL SCHITT"

With maybe a letter of authenticity which is only a txt of the log from a SoulSeek convo!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well, I think the plan is that only the 1st 25 are getting them signed by yours truly (time permitting, I plan on doing hand drawn artwork on each sleeve... gotta look out for the true random rap collectros). I don't know if my DWG hommies would be cool with me signing any others beyond those 1st 25- angering the true random rap collectros is probably

• 100 copies?

!

for the true random rap collectros ONLY
    sign up for yours now if any are left... it can only be a great investment, plaese believe me

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    Guaranteed to be bootlegged in short order

• noznoz 3,625 Posts
    At 45 pounds (about $85 bones), i'll have to sell some shit this weekend to get ready.

This is disappointing. I would've expected better than hypebeast style forced exclusivity from the Most Chill one.

But i might still buy a copy.

• At 45 pounds (about $85 bones), i'll have to sell some shit this weekend to get ready.

This is disappointing. I would've expected better than hypebeast style forced exclusivity from the Most Chill one.

But i might still buy a copy.

hey, if you want to sign me to a six figure deal to release thousands upon thousands of $4.99 copies of all my unreleased real schitt from 1989 I'm all for it! Otherwise, this is what it is- music for the true random rap collectros who care. The way i see it, there's really not many other ways to do it in 2006 that will be worth the trouble.
    I like the exclusivity factor anyway. Regardless, I'm sure it won't take long for the record to be ripped to MP3 and available for free to everyone on earth who has an internet connection.

• ...wise words from Most Chill.

• AserAser 2,351 Posts
    I am not trying to spoil the party here, but pressing 100 to 500 is not much of a difference cost wise. This is purely a hypebeast move.....

why not press 500 and have 100 copies signed. It's still limited anyway and will probably cost you the same amount. Plus lowering the cost from something less ridiculous than $45.

You know most kids buying this will be more gassed up about the 100 copies pressed than the actual music. You're lying to yourself if you can't admit to this.

Phil, the music is dope btw.

• PABLOPABLO 1,921 Posts
    ...wise words from Aser.

...and it's $85
    ...plus shipping
    ...in a die-cut sleeve
    ...with a sticker.

• You know most kids buying this will be more gassed up about the 100 copies pressed than the actual music. You're lying to yourself if you can't admit to this.

No doubt, but that is the way of the collectro in most respects, is it not?
    What you have to take into account is the profit-making side of this (and dave and / or chris, feel free to chime in on this since this is a DWG project and maybe I shouldn't really be the one speaking in defense of the record). Selling 100 copies direct is a lot easier, even at $85 a pop, than selling 500 on your own. When you bring a distributor into the picture... well, I'm sure many of you know the pitfalls of dealing with a distributor. At the end of the day you want to see a return on your investment, even if it's only a relatively modest return. As I said previously, I would love to be able to press up countless thousands of Phill Most Chill unreleased 1989 12"s and sell them at the current going rate for a 12". I'm very happy that there seems to be a good amount of people who'd be interested in such a thing in 2006, but who knows exactly how many people would actually run out and buy a vinyl pressing in this era of Microwave and Soulseek? It is what it is, mane. If you're a true random rap collectro, cop that limited edition pressing. If you're just a smart investor, cop that limited edition pressing. If you just want the music, wait for it to hit the 'Seek. It's all pretty simple, no need to throw salt in the game, salty strutters.

Phil, the music is dope btw.

Thank you. So I will take your post as an endorsement and not as an act of soulstrut sabotage (which is punishable by death or something that's equally unpleasant)

• who knows exactly how many people would actually run out and buy a vinyl pressing in this era of Microwave and Soulseek?

Well cotdamn!!! Did the moderator put that "Microwave" in there that quick at 4 a.m. or does it automatically change to that when you type in s*r*to??? Soulstrut is so full of funny hijinks! (well... full of something, anyway)

• DWGDWG 334 Posts
    OK, half-expecting this kinda backlash from some people, I guess I'll speak on behalf of the three of us who've spent a lot of time and money putting this out. Dave and Sureshot might want to add to this later on, but this is how it is from my point of view.

I won't intentionally speak defensively, as we still think it was the right move to do. We've sold 70 copies already in three days with NO promotion, so those figures kinda put our worrying minds to rest.

We had several options when releasing this record. Might as well break down the process as much as I can from the top, so you can decide whether or not this is a 'hypebeast' move, as some have put it.

About a year ago, Phill let one of us hear the audio of some of his older cuts. This blew minds: we wanted to know if it was coming out, as we felt it truly deserved to put on wax. Early reports suggested not, so we thought it'd be a perfect release for the first on our DWG imprint.

Having asked around (distributors), it's unlikely (as incredible as the music is) we'd have sold out of 500 copies very quickly - and none of us have space to have a few hundred extra records sitting around in boxes while they trickle out. People just don't buy independent hip-hop vinyl in the same capacity that they used to. With enough other people willing to press up thousands of copies of things, we felt that wasn't right for us.

We looked at a super-limited run just for a few of us to have as a 'private press' - maybe a test pressing only run of 10-20 copies - but for a slightly greater pressing cost (almost) we could do a run of 100. That meant that more people could own it and it'd be cheaper to sell. After checking with Phill that was OK with him, we looked at the options for making a decent quality press. Good mastering - check. Nice label - check. Quality vinyl - check. Vinyl sticker cover - check.
    Then we costed it up. Now, pressing up in the US or wherever might be really cheap, but pressing up an EP in the UK isn't - and unless you know somewhere that deals with free shipping, it just wasn't an option.
    By pressing 100, we could make sure we covered our costs and actually pay Phill, regardless of whether all the copies sold out. Any profits go back into future projects, which we are already planning.

Now, add to these factors that the three of us all have full time jobs (and not in the music industry). Sitting hunched over a computer fielding emails, dealing with the mastering guys, the pressing plant, the sticker printers, designing the artwork, setting up graphics and stuff for the website, writing the one-sheet... it all take a lot of time. Wives became mad, children left home, pets self-combusted... it's been a time-consuming project.
    The point was, if we got a good record out there and broke even financially, then we were going to be happy enough.

If I felt that this wasn't a good quality product, I would've have kept quiet, but we genuinely think it was worth the effort and expense to get it out there. And, so far, other than a few questions on here, the response has been really good.
    As Phill said, if you want the tracks on vinyl, then go ahead and buy a copy. If you're not bothered for whatever reason, I'm sure you'll be able to download the cuts online somewhere soon.

-

On that note, we'd like to thank the people on Soulstrut who have bought copies. After Sloppy's initial post, we got a lot of orders, so thank you for that.

And, as always, thanks to Phill for the music. We wouldn't have been inspired or motivated to do this without your talent.

• OK, half-expecting this kinda backlash from some people, I guess I'll speak on behalf of the three of us who've spent a lot of time and money putting this out. Dave and Sureshot might want to add to this later on, but this is how it is from my point of view.

I won't intentionally speak defensively, as we still think it was the right move to do. We've sold 70 copies already in three days with NO promotion, so those figures kinda put our worrying minds to rest.

We had several options when releasing this record. Might as well break down the process as much as I can from the top, so you can decide whether or not this is a 'hypebeast' move, as some have put it.

About a year ago, Phill let one of us hear the audio of some of his older cuts. This blew minds: we wanted to know if it was coming out, as we felt it truly deserved to put on wax. Early reports suggested not, so we thought it'd be a perfect release for the first on our DWG imprint.

Having asked around (distributors), it's unlikely (as incredible as the music is) we'd have sold out of 500 copies very quickly - and none of us have space to have a few hundred extra records sitting around in boxes while they trickle out. People just don't buy independent hip-hop vinyl in the same capacity that they used to. With enough other people willing to press up thousands of copies of things, we felt that wasn't right for us.

We looked at a super-limited run just for a few of us to have as a 'private press' - maybe a test pressing only run of 10-20 copies - but for a slightly greater pressing cost (almost) we could do a run of 100. That meant that more people could own it and it'd be cheaper to sell. After checking with Phill that was OK with him, we looked at the options for making a decent quality press. Good mastering - check. Nice label - check. Quality vinyl - check. Vinyl sticker cover - check.
    Then we costed it up. Now, pressing up in the US or wherever might be really cheap, but pressing up an EP in the UK isn't - and unless you know somewhere that deals with free shipping, it just wasn't an option.
    By pressing 100, we could make sure we covered our costs and actually pay Phill, regardless of whether all the copies sold out. Any profits go back into future projects, which we are already planning.

Now, add to these factors that the three of us all have full time jobs (and not in the music industry). Sitting hunched over a computer fielding emails, dealing with the mastering guys, the pressing plant, the sticker printers, designing the artwork, setting up graphics and stuff for the website, writing the one-sheet... it all take a lot of time. Wives became mad, children left home, pets self-combusted... it's been a time-consuming project.
    The point was, if we got a good record out there and broke even financially, then we were going to be happy enough.

If I felt that this wasn't a good quality product, I would've have kept quiet, but we genuinely think it was worth the effort and expense to get it out there. And, so far, other than a few questions on here, the response has been really good.
    As Phill said, if you want the tracks on vinyl, then go ahead and buy a copy. If you're not bothered for whatever reason, I'm sure you'll be able to download the cuts online somewhere soon.

-

On that note, we'd like to thank the people on Soulstrut who have bought copies. After Sloppy's initial post, we got a lot of orders, so thank you for that.

And, as always, thanks to Phill for the music. We wouldn't have been inspired or motivated to do this without your talent.

• someone yousend this shit

• noznoz 3,625 Posts
    feel free to chime in on this since this is a DWG project and maybe I shouldn't really be the one speaking in defense of the record).

Phill Most x DWG[/b]

• I just wish it had a pic cover with the photo ones posted by Phil Most himself dressed up as ninja with two flygirls by his side...

That was dope pic!

Can we see that again, Phil?

Dress

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts
    Come on dudes. I think its dope to make it limited. Put it on hypebeast, throw a 50 dollar t-shirt in there and cake up!

• I just wish it had a pic cover with the photo ones posted by Phil Most himself dressed up as ninja with two flygirls by his side...

That was dope pic!

Can we see that again, Phil?

Dress

This is actually pre-Most Chill, the "Phantastic Philly Phill MC" days

• I gotta say I'm disappointed, I won't be able to grab one of these. Not because I don't care about the music, but because I simply can't afford it. I picked the last joints you dropped but have to draw the line somewhere...some of us family dudes got tight budgets and debts and schitt.

• I gotta say I'm disappointed, I won't be able to grab one of these. Not because I don't care about the music, but because I simply can't afford it. I picked the last joints you dropped but have to draw the line somewhere...some of us family dudes got tight budgets and debts and schitt.

I can dig it, peacefulrotation... I guess most of us have stuff we would like to have but can't get due to financial limitations. Well, as said earlier, it's only a matter of time before Soulseek gets ahold of it, so in one way or another the music WILL be available to whoever wants it. Until then, if you know of anyone who wants to offer a lucrative deal to press up tens of thousands of copies of the next Phill Most Chill 1989 era 12" and sell them for five bucks a pop for all the tens of thousands of kids who buy random rap vinyls in 2006 just holla. I'm ready!

• Big up to Phill Most & The DWG crew for making this happen. I'm excited to peep the finished product & hope that we'll be hearing more unreleased ish in the future.

• Yeah this marketplace sucks.... just overshot even prices for psych rock reissues!!

• JRootJRoot 861 Posts
    Just got the email on this from Diggers With Gratitude.
    Limited to 100 copies.

a-side
    1: Be Intelligent (vocal)
    2: Be Intelligent (instrumental)

b-side
    3: Release Yourself (vocal)
    4: On Tempo Jack (instrumental)
    5: Accept No Substitution (vocal) - bonus raw dusty edit from Phill's personal acetate!

Looks good, Phill. Thanks to you and your colleague DWG for offering the explanation behind the ultra raer limited vibe on this expensive record. Like our friend peacefulrotation, I just won't be able to plop the dough down on this record, but I hope for you that it is a lucrative transaction. You deserve it.

And for people who have sour faces, there are worse things in the world than not being able to own a mega raer random rap 12" from the inimitable phill most chill a.k.a. fantastic philly phill a.k.a. the soulman. if you want the music, you'll get it in due time I'm certain of that. if you want the record badly enough, you know how to get it. fetishes come with a price.

On tempo jack,
    JRoot

• LamontLamont 1,089 Posts

flat 80s arses

• fetishes come with a price.

flat 80s arses

• flat 80s arses

ha ha... ... sista girl on the right actually had a nice lil fat butt... latina mami on the left is lookin' pretty pancake assed in that pic... trust me, twasn't so flat in real life plus she was a certified cutie in her day... dunno about now, though (time changes everythang)

• Man, the snippets on the site are good. Can't believe I missed this post. Hope there are some left. Also in my opinion you could do with making those [email]store@diggeretcetc[/email] clickable. Great site though. I've emailed you.

• flat 80s arses

man, you look ready to bust some balls if anyone steps to your ladies!

• Rich45sRich45s 327 Posts
    Cheers Phill & DWG peeps, got mine in the post this morning. Very impressed.

Managed to catch the cover on the sticky back of the plastic due to being clumsy & half asleep, which took a sliver of the whiteness off. So go careful out there peeps.