i think "The Outsider" is pretty good actually

Mongo_SladeMongo_Slade 999 Posts
edited September 2006 in Strut Central
Man, based on the advance word and the tracks that leaked or got promo'd, I was fearing a belly-flop of Idlewild proportions, but I picked DJ Shadow's The Outsider today and it's sounding pretty damn good to me.The sequencing is weird, so some of the stylistic shifts seem a lot harsher than they could've been, but there are some slappers on there ("Turf Dancing", "Dat's My Part"), some new takes on the old atmospheric shit ("Triplicate") and I think even the soft-hands shit ("You Made It") will probably grow on me. In other words, he tried some new shit and it sounds to me like he pulled it off.

Comments

• What I wanna know is what you thought of the review it got in last weeks paper

• mordecaimordecai 2,204 Posts
    soft-hands shit ("You Made It")
    yeh, i feel that one and This Time. the rest aint doin it for me.
    but yeh, i was worried it wouldn't have anything for me originally.

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    anybody heard "4 freaks."??? yes, 4 freaks...the 3 freaks remix.

that shit is completely bazookas. is it on a 12"?

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    i like all of the rap tracks (minus the phonte track) and "this time" is probably one of my favorite tracks of the year, but the album doesn't feel cohesive at all. with the quality of the beats he's been dropping, i would have much rather had a full on rap album with just his beats

• anybody heard "4 freaks."??? yes, 4 freaks...the 3 freaks remix.

nah. there was a shadow-authorized bootleg 12" of "3 Freaks" but not of the remix, although it's been floating around the web since march and appears on the CD.

• snosno 332 Posts
    One heck of an intriguingly good mess!

• nah. there was a shadow-authorized bootleg 12" of "3 Freaks" but not of the remix

or is there...?

There is definitely an official white label of the original version and now it looks like the remix has received the offical white label treatment too. It's got the original on the A-side and the remix, with acapella on the B-side. I live in the bay and this was given to me by a record store employee, it wasn't hitting the shelves. He asked me if I wanted one and I said "uhh, ok."

• LamontLamont 1,089 Posts

who are the mc's on that one ?

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts

it's keak, turf, and mistah FAB. the beat is by droop-e

• magpaulmagpaul 1,314 Posts
    he should of put the 'Seeing Thangs' featuring Nump & Gold instead of that extra Banner verse. shit was ridiculous.

• anybody heard "4 freaks."??? yes, 4 freaks...the 3 freaks remix.

it's keak, turf, and mistah FAB. the beat is by droop-e

droop-e rhymes on it, too. unfortunately.

• jamesjames chicago 1,863 Posts
    I'm surprised that DJ Shadow is content with this record.

• Someone posted this rant in a bulletin on myspace today about "the outsider"

Dude sounds ass hurt.....

In a society that's become obsessed with rim size, chains hanging low and shiny mouthpieces, it is the TRUE artist's responsibility to act as a shepherd of sorts and steer the sheep in the right direction. you could say i've been a sheep for years and my shepherds have been cats like coldcut, prefuse 73, dj krush, and yes, even Josh Davis. (aka dj shadow)

i look to these folks and many others to show me the FUTURE of music. not only does the Outsider (shadow's latest album) fail to show us the future, it's almost behind the times.

as a dj and producer who uses samples, i find comfort in the sound of record static or a touch of surface noise. mainstream music today has become so grossly overproduced and polished, i can't find comfort in it outside of a club situation. and so it goes with the outsider. i dare you to find a hint of the comfort i speak of. there's no sequel to 'midnight in a perfect world' or 'building steam.' there isn't even a hint of the shadow that we've all come to know and love.

remember 'influx' and all it's sampling to do with revolution and a need for change? that's what i thought all of this was about: REVOLUTION! shadow is proving that he doesn't give a rat's ass about any of us or our dreams of a revolution.(be it musical or otherwise) the soundtrack to the revolution will not have guest appearances by keak tha sneak or nump or any of the other hyphy artists on the Outsider. (at least i pray it doesn't) and after watching one of my greatest heroes (shadow) sell his white ass out, i'm not sure there's even a revolution to be had anymore.

when i said that i've been in a depression since i first heard the album, i wasn't kidding. it's like gravity being reversed or finding out the world isn't flat, or worse yet, Santa isn't real! i take this shit seriously. i can't just toss the album to the side and pass it off as a phase or simply a mis-step on shadow's part. this is the kind of thing that makes me want to re-evaluate what i am striving for as an artist. i thought things were a certain way. now i see that is simply not the case. i just want to let the healing begin.

now, everytime a beat up coup de ville with 70 inch rims and 50 inch subwoofers drives past blaring the latest dumbed down commercial rap beat with an angry rapper (who has no idea what he's even angry at) yelling over the top about nothing pertinent to my life, i'll wonder if it's dj shadow's latest joint.

• i just want to let the healing begin.

• Multiple rants (probably from the same person) can be found on the CD's Amazon listing.

1 and 1/2 stars!

• So is the actual album different than the one leaked a few months/weeks ago? If not I will probably pass on this.

• jamesjames chicago 1,863 Posts
    remember 'influx' and all it's sampling to do with revolution and a need for change? that's what i thought all of this was about: REVOLUTION!
    I'm picturing a scenario like that in the video for "I Need Love": rant dude sobbing on the bed while Shadow adjusts his fitted and heads out the door, pausing only to look over his shoulder and tap a pad on his MPC that triggers a sampled "I'm sorry."

"The Love I Saw In You (Was Just An Interpolation)"
    b/w
    "Un-Quantize My Heart"

Jesus.

• dayday 9,612 Posts

when i said that i've been in a depression since i first heard the album, i wasn't kidding. it's like gravity being reversed or finding out the world isn't flat, or worse yet, Santa isn't real! i take this shit seriously. i can't just toss the album to the side and pass it off as a phase or simply a mis-step on shadow's part. this is the kind of thing that makes me want to re-evaluate what i am striving for as an artist. i thought things were a certain way. now i see that is simply not the case. i just want to let the healing begin.

Can we get an "OVER THE TOP" graemlin, plaese?

now, everytime a beat up coup de ville with 70 inch rims and 50 inch subwoofers drives past blaring the latest dumbed down commercial rap beat with an angry rapper (who has no idea what he's even angry at) yelling over the top about nothing pertinent to my life, i'll wonder if it's dj shadow's latest joint.

• Shadow adjusts his fitted and heads out the door, pausing only to look over his shoulder and tap a pad on his MPC that triggers a sampled "I'm sorry."

For me, this puts ill drama stabs in a whole new light.

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    It's been a long time since I've seen such a disgruntled loyal fan base. This is a ballsy move if you ask me. And yes.. from what I have heard it sounds like doo-doo.

people are acting like he just released the Phantom Menace. it's easily on par if not better then Private Press. I'm sure he sleeps just fine at night knowing he's made a commercially accesible album that has hardcore hip hop sitting alongside his usual instrumental noodlings. fuck the haters basically.

• 1). Nump sucks

2). You sound like an ass-hurt fanboy

3). He's playing himself majorly right now.

p.s.

you said "Phantom Menance". That shit is even too nerdy for me.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    i love how his fanboys expect him to make the same album over and over again and finally when people get sick of that, they can accuse him of selling out for changing shit up

• i love how his fanboys expect him to make the same album over and over again and finally when people get sick of that, they can accuse him of selling out for changing shit up

I don't think it's the fact that it's different, it's the fact tht he has "ALL THESE DUMB DOWN AND IGNORANT RAPPERS ON IT". I remember that last album had like 80's new-wave shit on it.

wow what an honour, i couldnt wait till i started getting insulted by some disgruntled 3000+ poster for having a (valid) opinion about something.

so you're a fanboy for hating that he changed his style up and a fanboy for blindly following his new direction as far as i can work out. in fact any opinion on shadow = fanboy.

P.S (insert extra diss for good measure)

• it has it's moments, just like his past work.
    to the casual music fan it's not at all a shock, not surprisingly.
    I played it for my twenty-something, club going sister. Her reaction when she heard it was first, "Is This The Guy Who does the do do do oo do do doo song (Building Steam With A Grain Of Salt), I Love That Song." immediately followed by, "You Can't Lose With A Beat Like This! (Turf Dancing)"

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    i've been in a depression since i first heard the album

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    wow what an honour, i couldnt wait till i started getting insulted by some disgruntled 3000+ poster for having a (valid) opinion about something.

so you're a fanboy for hating that he changed his style up and a fanboy for blindly following his new direction as far as i can work out. in fact any opinion on shadow = fanboy.

P.S (insert extra diss for good measure)

You sound like an ass-hurt fanboy.

• the whole reason i dont like this new switch up is that shit i read in the urb article. How he said he wants to get paid and have his shit up there with 50 cent and all that commerical rap. Getting spins like that. And he realized that he had to pretty much surrender to this new shit and just follow suit. I thought that was little gaye but to each his own. If he want to go work with ying yang twins, let him. He will just fade outta the spotlight and disapper when that shit gets played out. In ten years you aint gonna hear bout the sha money xl's and jazze phas. shadow gonna be added to that list.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    the whole reason i dont like this new switch up is that shit i read in the urb article. How he said he wants to get paid and have his shit up there with 50 cent and all that commerical rap. Getting spins like that. And he realized that he had to pretty much surrender to this new shit and just follow suit. I thought that was little gaye but to each his own. If he want to go work with ying yang twins, let him. He will just fade outta the spotlight and disapper when that shit gets played out. In ten years you aint gonna hear bout the sha money xl's and jazze phas. shadow gonna be added to that list.

This post is great. Every word of it.