Rep yo' scars!

DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
edited September 2006 in Strut Central
C'mon, fess up: stories about how you got scarred are great/hilarious...or at least interesting. There's nothing like a permanent reminder of a wound to serve as en emblem for hard livin' and/or wacky adventures and/or slapsticky klutziness gone awry. I'll even get the ball rolling:Right elbow: Back in college, I told people this was a gunshot wound, and they totally believed me. Then, after laughing, I told them the far lamer truth: It's a deep third-degree burn I got when the lid of a wood-burning stove fell on my elbow as I was jostling the wood inside around with one of those fireproof gloves that, sadly, didn't extend all the way up to my elbow. I did learn, however, that when you get a deep burn like that, you're supposed to put toothpaste on it and wrap the whole mess up with plastic wrap. I'm not kidding here--that's what my mom the nurse immediately did. Forehead, just to the right of center, just below the hairline: More of a notch than a scar, I've carried this one since I was four years old. Having spent the day playing at Bullfrog Valley Pond in Hershey, PA, where I lived at the time, my mom called everybody back to the car. My friend Nicole suggested we race back, and off we ran. I was winning, and I turned my head back to see how far ahead I was, then looked forward again just in time to take a full-speed header into one of those grill-on-a-pole joints you see at some beaches. One blackout, profuse bleeding, a freaked out mom, and several stitches later, I had learned a valuable lesson: watch where you're running, dammit! Chin: A savage Kick the Can-related injury--the can in question was a rusty old coffee can, and when kicked, it hit me right in the chin, perfectly aligned so that the ridge could achieve maximum depth. Did I mention this happened at my friend's eighth birthday party? Party foul! Forehead, just over right eyebrow: I passed out while standing up and took a header right into one of those big wooden floor stands that holds pool cues (this happened at a bar). My friend looked over just in time to see me collapse and thought somebody had knocked me out. Turns out that "somebody" was most likely low blood sugar caused by *ahem* massive intake of THC and not much intake of food. I bled a lot and ended up trying to wash out the cut in the bathroom of my friend's friend, who turned out to be a really scuzzy coke dealer (as if there's any other kind of coke dealer). On the bright side, I totally demolished that pool cue holder. Extreeeeeeeeme!

Comments

• My stomach has a large scar across it from an operation I had when I was born. One of my lungs was collapsed and my heart wasn't in the right position so they had to cut me open and get me all sorted out. I have some similar scars on my side which I've always assumed were part of the operation too.

Got a nasty one on my thumb from working on a car.

My final scar is from stupidity. My buddy had just bought a fancy knife for our kitchen. It was still in it's cardboard sheath and I held it in one hand and tried to pull it out with the other. It wouldn't come out. I didn't realize there was a small piece of tape on the end of it holding the knife and sheath together. I decide to hank harder, the tape breaks and the blade cuts across my palm. It didn't really hurt but I knew I had cut myself bad. I made a fist and held it tight for 10 minutes hoping the blood would clot. After a while I opened up my hand and blood came gushing out. I wrapped it in some gauges until it stopped bleeding. Took like a month to completely heal.

• Big scar on my leg, gotten when I was 12, taking out the garbage and the inside lid of coffee can ripped through the bag, then into my leg.

Jagged scar on right eyebrow, gotten when I was 16, going over the handlebars of a moped and doing a faceplant on the street.

• JBCJBC 25 Posts
    I've got a little inch-long scar on the side of my stomach, from when I was *ahem* having my photo taken with a tiger (on my 10th birthday, when I lived in Jakarta). Tiger wasn't too happy, I was standing behind its head, it turned back to try and bite me, I moved away, so it wound up just scratching me with one of its teeth, rather than, er, tearing my stomach in half.

Also, mischievous looking scar on my thumb from when I was trying to whittle some wood with a stanley knife, and misjudged where my thumb ended and the wood began.

• Right knee: smashed into a coral reef bodysurfing on Maui.
    Right index finger: chopped half my finger off with a hatchet.
    Right index knuckle: trying to open a beer bottle with a chef's knife.
    Right wrist: landed on a rock diving into an alpine lake.
    Right pinky finger: cut on a tin roof climbing out of a German Shepherd kennel.
    Top of scalp: had a truck door slammed on my head in a fight in fifth grade.

• jleejlee 1,539 Posts
    haha....

i just got my appendix out last week. i was all smooth for 28yrs, but now i got a gnarly scar on my stomach.

i heard vitamin E helps the scaring. not sure though, let a dude know, i aint trying to look like frankenstien.

^^^^^^
    oh...and still loving this

• Right knee: smashed into a coral reef bodysurfing on Maui.
    Right index knuckle: trying to open a beer bottle with a chef's knife.
    Right wrist: landed on a rock diving into an alpine lake.
    Right pinky finger: cut on a tin roof climbing out of a German Shepherd kennel.
    Top of scalp: had a truck door slammed on my head in a fight in fifth grade.

You're clearly a danger to yourself and others. I can see why they were trying to keep you in a German Shepherd kennel....

• jleejlee 1,539 Posts

your love for 'roger & the gypsies' is so focused.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    haha....

i just got my appendix out last week. i was all smooth for 28yrs, but now i got a gnarly scar on my stomach.

i heard vitamin E helps the scaring. not sure though, let a dude know, i aint trying to look like frankenstien.

The patches made by Neosporin (which do not actually contain Neosporin) seem to be fairly effective over smaller areas.

• Right index finger: chopped half my finger off with a hatchet.

If he really loved Roger & The Gypsies, he'd be passing out hatchets, not chopping his fingers off...

• i have an 8 inch scar inside my right elbow, from playing "WWF" when i was eight... one of the older dudes in my neighborhood was picking up us little guys and spinning us around, like hulk hogan or whoever... he dropped me backwards by accident, i held out my arms to catch myself on the way down, my elbow dislocated, and the bone came through my skin... it was fucked up, my arm was in 2 pieces, blood was flying everywhere, the other kids were screaming... not a good day for the kid... somehow during all this, the little bone that juts out at your elbow broke off and went behind the dislocation... it took several surgeries to correct, and i spent most of second grade in the hospital

too many little scars on my shins and ankles from years of soccer to count

my upper left arm and shoulder are one big scar from when i was working as the fryer guy at a sports bar... i had to clean out the fryer, so i emptied the hot grease into a bucket, then i immediately slipped and fell with the bucket in my hands, spilling 400 degree grease all over myself... my skin started bubbling up and peeling off, so i took my shirt off, smoked a cigarette, and passed out... had to stay in the hospital for a few weeks, then i had to lay on my back at my parents house for 8 weeks... although this sucked really bad, it was the best thing that ever happened to me... i was fucking up in life, and laying by myself sober for a couple months fixed all that

• Right index finger: chopped half my finger off with a hatchet.

If he really loved Roger & The Gypsies, he'd be passing out hatchets, not chopping his fingers off...

Haha, naw my dad gave my a hatchet to chop wood with when I was four.

Clearly a bad idea.

Thankfully dude is a surgeon so he just sutured it back together.

• drunk and biking around town on the way to Sugar's (strip club in austin)

drunk already, me and a friend of mine were kicked off a bus for rhyming,
    in front of a beer store we decide to get a 32oz each on the way and continue to bike another two miles to said strip club, were goin thru a mall parkin lot and are at a steady space and im lookin at the sky and takin down this 32 of dos equis and boom i hit a parking median, fly off my bike and try to move the glass away from my mouth before i am face first in the concrete
    bottle in hand i land first and then on top of the glass which proceeds to insert itself in my neck

get up laughing and amazed at what just happened i start to feel a wet liquid run down my chest and then realize i FUCKED UP, take my shirt off and walk two miles back to the house with my friend walking both bikes (meanwhile three cop cars pass by very closely and do not stop) have to use his shirt to apply pressure on the neck due to mine becoming completely soaked and then realize my thumb is cut and blood squirting out along with the beat of my heart

get back to the house thinkin im gonna just hop in the shower and clean up a bit and watch tv, roommates take one look at me and break it down (deep laceration on the neck, ear is half hanging off, thumb just pumping out blood, various scars on the face)

they take me to the er

12 hours later and an excavation in my neck looking for glass, gravel, etc... then send me home with a nice prescrip

school started the next day, the looks were awesome

needless to say , i dont bike with alcohol simultaneously anymore

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    I have terrible scars all over my entire body.

• When I was ten I wanted to scare my younger sister. She had just gotten out of the bathroom after taking a shower and the mirrors were all fogged up. I decided that I was going to write "Natalie You are going to Die" on the fogged up mirror. The plan was that she was going to walk into the bathroom, see this message, think someone besides me had written it, and freak out. I hopped up onto the bathroom sink counter and started to write the message. As I was reaching up to write I started to slip and fall. On my way down I grabbed onto a towel bar to keep from falling. The towel bar came down with me and sliced the left side of my neck starting just below my ear and ending towards the bottom of my throat. 42 stitches.

• none of mine are too exciting.

1) small circular scar next to my right eye from chicken pox

2) little red dot on my left palm from falling off my skateboard a year ago

3) barely noticeable scar under my belly button from laproscopic surgery 4 years ago

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

drunk and biking around town on the way to Sugar's (strip club in austin)

drunk already, me and a friend of mine were kicked off a bus for rhyming

Do you like Project Blowed by chance?

• I got two 5-inch scars on my forearm starting at my wrist and going about halfway to my elbow. Under each scar are metal plates with 6 screws drilled into my bones. I snapped my arm just bellow the wrist skating and it was a compound fracture. They had to do the metal plate thing to hold it all together while it healed. They didn???t want to take out the hardware cause the holes where the screws are might not fill in all the way leaving the bones weak. On each side of the scars are a bunch of little holes where the staples were holding the skin together after the operation.

• gloomgloom 2,765 Posts
    over my right eyebrow: slipped on a teddy ruxpin world map when i was about 4 years old, falling into the front corner of our brick mantel fireplace.

large circle scar on my right ankle bone: sliding while blocking a shot during a neighborhood roller hockey game. age 10.

bottom of my right arm: cut on the top of a metal fence while running from the cops in an abandoned train trestle, after bombing the rooftop area.

• GnatGnat 1,183 Posts
    left index finger: (23 y.o.) Slammed by metal door in metal door frame by psychotic group home kid that I was detaining after he was punching people in their sleep. Punching people in their sleep is decidedly not a good look. I could see bone. Finger miraculously did not break. I drink lots of milk. Ca++ is the bomb.

left ear lobe: (@6y.o.)shredded by neighbor's cat that I thought needed protecting from a dog. went to hospital and received 3 stitches. Cats are fine on their own.

left forearm: (@ 25 y.o.) Zachary's pizza scalded my arm. The cheese set in such a way that the resulting scar looked like a knife wound. I told people as much. Then I told them it was pizza cheese and they thought I was a moron. yup. pretty much.

chin (2x): (@ 20 y.o.) Was told to do special talent in a hippy-dippy class @ Berkeley. I was drunk from a recent post midterm celebration and decided that I would try out an old break dance move that I call "the worm", some others call it "the centipede". Chin hit the floor and split the fuck open. I felt nothing. Blood everywhere. Class dismissed early. Sealed me up with super glue.

(@24 y.o.) Later, I hit the chin again when I was a respectable social worker. I jumped a chain-link parking barricade in front of the County Courthouse in Hayward. I caught the chain with the tip of my toe. I made a perfect radius spin flop around the chain and slammed my head into the cement. My arms failed me. The bus stop crowd roared their approval: "Damn! That ni$$@ said 'Whaaaaap!'" I received more superglue.

• drunk and biking around town on the way to Sugar's (strip club in austin)

drunk already, me and a friend of mine were kicked off a bus for rhyming

Do you like Project Blowed by chance?

havent even heard one song by them, seriously

• around 10 medium scars on my hands due to daily use of sharp kitchen knives. another really bad one one my right wrisk - serious suicide attempt style! actually broke the scaphoid bone and it took some surgeries to fix it again.

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    Man this thread is making me cringe.

I don't have any exciting stories like you dudes, but there's a couple still left over from when I was a kid.

Back of my right arm - 1 inch long: I elbowed my friend in the teeth and his braces ripped my arm open.
    Forearm (same arm) - various sizes: playing hide and seek in my apartments when I was around 12. Someone had the bright idea to use one of these as the "safe" spot:

I ran at that thing full force and my arm went straight through the glass.
    As usual, no one was home so luckily it wasn't too bad.
    I have other various scars from skating, riding bikes, tripping etc and a dent in my head I still have no recollection of.

chin (2x): (@ 20 y.o.) Was told to do special talent in a hippy-dippy class @ Berkeley. I was drunk from a recent post midterm celebration and decided that I would try out an old break dance move that I call "the worm", some others call it "the centipede". Chin hit the floor and split the fuck open. I felt nothing. Blood everywhere. Class dismissed early. Sealed me up with super glue.

That reminds me of the time I was in the gym at the Boys Club trying to show off my super cool new b-boy move - the frog - when I went to jump up while holding my ankles (ayo) I fell straight onto my face and split both lips open. That was fun.

• chin (2x): (@ 20 y.o.) Was told to do special talent in a hippy-dippy class @ Berkeley. I was drunk from a recent post midterm celebration and decided that I would try out an old break dance move that I call "the worm", some others call it "the centipede". Chin hit the floor and split the fuck open. I felt nothing. Blood everywhere. Class dismissed early. Sealed me up with super glue.

That reminds me of the time I was in the gym at the Boys Club trying to show off my super cool new b-boy move - the frog - when I went to jump up while holding my ankles (ayo) I fell straight onto my face and split both lips open. That was fun.

PFFFFFFFT

I have no big scars, but that doesn't mean that they don't have stupid stories!

1) Forehead - 4yrs old. I spent a lot of time in the Bally's Health Club nursery back then, and would often race from one side of the room to the other when the mean supervisor wasn't there (The one that wouldn't let us run). Long story short: my upper forehead and the bathroom doorknob collaborated to produce lots of blood when looking the other way to check my lead. I got stitches and talked about cereal with the doctor. My running days were over. Time to play with crayons instead.

2) Age 7: Mountain Dew bottles used to be made out of glass. Well I tossed one in the air and punched it on the way down. Say hello to the juice box.

• Age 7: Mountain Dew bottles used to be made out of glass. Well I tossed one in the air and punched it on the way down. Say hello to the juice box.

gangster

i got one on my head from some shady ass afterschool my parents used to send me to (in the unitarian church where they have shows now). the kind of place where big fat ladies would bully you around and make you hold a phone book in each hand with you arms up. well, during a christmas party, kids built a house out of these hollow wooden blocks (they were like 12" x 12" x 4" cubes) and we were sitting in there hanging out. one kid climbs to the top and started screaming "santa claus!" and the whole shit fell in and they had to bring mad kids to the ER to get stitched up. ho ho ho

besides scars from falling off my bike, i almost chopped my thumb off last year on the way to work. i was running out the house but went back to eat a piece of cheese. so i grabbed a meat cleaver and held the cheese in the other hand. oops. tip of my thumb was held on by 3cm of skin. did heal up nice

scar on my leg last year when i opened up a work closet and i grabbed for a bin of chef knives. i shouldnt have put the bin on a high shelf or left the lid unfastened. i got a cascade of knives rain down on me.one stuck in my leg, down to the muscle, and fell out. i stopped it up and went to an outreach site. later that night a coworker convinced me to go to ER. they had to unclot it in order to clean it (that shit sucks). 12 hours in ER since fresh gun shot arrivals and other emergencies kept skipping me in line.

lite scar on my nose where i dove head first into 3 feet of water.

scars build character.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    I'm surprised you don't have a scar from the padlock, dude.

• scars build character.

Omar for sure.

• when i was back in highschool the one day i left one of my classes to go and take gravity bong hits in my attic. after we did that we went back to school. being a lil dude back then though i used to get dumb high when we smoked. We used to have to park in this supermarket casue if you left during the day, you couldnt get a spot. So i was walking thru the parking lot and there was this big acme trailer doing a delivery. I went under the thing and was so stoned i didnt see this metal sign hanging down in the middle. Carved my back up real bad. Didnt even realize it till i got inside the building and scared the fuck outta people. Blood was just running everywhere. Its crazy though cause it went so deep i didnt even feel the pain. Then had to goto the er with my moms baked outta my mind and get like 30 stiches.

the first scar i ever got though was when my mom used to work in jersey when we were living in staten island. I was like 3 and she had this lady babysit me while she was teaching. I was out in this backyard somewhere by this park and this mean old bitch was walking her german shepard when the thing got loose and ran over to me. It grabbed me by the neck and started smashing my head off a rock. I had to get like 52 stitches and mad plastic surgury. i got baby pictures of me with this ridiculous head cast in my spiderman pjs. cool part though was we went to the peoples court dude judge wapnor before he had the show. We won like 14 grand. Back in 83 that was like winning 50 grand so my parents balled out.

• I'm surprised you don't have a scar from the padlock, dude.

c--,you remember that afterschool place? might have been called Jane D Kent?
    they should have called DHS on my parents just for sending me there back in the greenfield days.

• Had a finger sized portion of my left ear bitten off by a dog. No one was home, so i picked it up off the ground, placed it in a plastic bag, and put in the freezer until someone could come over and drive me to the hospital. It was sewn back but only part of it lived. 4 plastic surgeries later it looks great.
    The dog was put to sleep.

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    Um, my left big toe has a scar down the side of it where I lopped the side of it off playing with an axe when I was about 7 or 8, my aunty bandaged it all back together & then drove me the hour it took to get to the hospital from their farm to get it sewn back together, moral is don't play with axes unsupervised.
    I have a couple of nice scars just below my lip from putting my teeth through my lip twice. Once was on a seesaw when I was about 5 & the other time I got accidentally smacked with a cricket bat when I was about 7.
    Both my elbows & knees have scarring from repeated skateboard slams over many years.
    I have a nice scar on my chin from where I got my face slammed into the edge of a steel shelf.
    I also have a 4inch long scar on the inside of my left foot from extensive reconstructive surgery on my sub-taler joint in my ankle.
    And because of that reconstruction I also have a scar on my butt where they took some fat from to put back into my ankle after they had finished picking the remains of the exploded sub-taler joint from the insides of my foot. Fun.