The New Female Soul Thread

GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
edited March 2016 in Music Talk
So it seems like the older one is lost to time. It's time to represent the ladies of the game.

Flex your female soul favorites

Ruby andrews

Tommie Young

Barbara Mason

Aretha Franklin

Barbara Lynn

Minnie Ripperton

and thousands more

add on the good stuff

Comments

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    the laides, the ladies

Betty Wright

Gwen McCrae

Betty Davis

Dusty Springfield

Etta James

Marva Whitney

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts
    I listened to these two most of last week, both of which have some nice moments:

Found another copy of this after passing on it the first time.

Kind of a two or three tracker, but "The Last Day Of Summer" is perfect.

I can already feel a switch in listening desire toward string/orchestration-based female sounds for fall 2007 and could certainly use some recommendations for stuff to look out for.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    Drew, get you some!

How serious is that "Melody of Life"? I've seen it for loot before, but don't think I had a chance to peep it.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    How serious is that "Melody of Life"? I've seen it for loot before, but don't think I had a chance to peep it.

Drewn: it's a good album, but I'd seriously recommend getting the reish of it and taking a listen. Kind of a mix of polished later 70's sound with some of that rawness that Gwen always brought in her songs. It is one of those LP's that you don't have to skip tracks on though which I appreciate a whole lot.

Everyone else:
    Yesterday, I was wondering around Amoeba trying to decide whether I shoudl get this album

Drewn was on the phone with me and said "just buy it"

best advice I got all day!

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts

"Melody of Life" is a great lp. Most folks dig it for the track "All this love that I'm giving", but that can be found on 45. The title track really stands out for me also. IMO it's a really strong "mod soul" lp.

• Patti Drew

Gloria Jones

Esther Morrow

Carol Jones

Irene Reid

Sandra Kay Tucker

word to the sister soul!

And I hadn't even heard it! This is getting to be too easy...

• One of my favs is probably not exactly "Soul" by most peoples standards but I think she deserves an honorable mention anyways.

• big cosign on betty harris ...

and dont know if this one fit in this category, but it s one of my favorite soul album ...

• TREWTREW 2,037 Posts
    we need some Maxayn love up in here..

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

And I hadn't even heard it! This is getting to be too easy...

Really?

That can't be too tough a pull in Philly. Highly recommended.

Her second album's not quite as good, but I like it, and it never turns up anywhere but Philly--I never see anyone from anywhere else put one up on the Bay.

• we need some Maxayn love up in here

No, we don't

We could use some of this though:

A beautiful record, tough to get and if you don't own it, you need to.

A beautiful record, tough to get and if you don't own it, you need to.

Can someone starighten me out on what the essential Barbara Acklin LPs are and which ones are simply compiled from her two previous releases?

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts

old pic from the photobucket account...

Helene Smith is probably still my fave though. Or Carla Thomas, tough call really. Adam, do you have that new Nicole Willis record on Timmion? its super good imo...

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    Adam, do you have that new Nicole Willis record on Timmion? its super good imo...

no, I am sleeperating. BTW did you need that Barbara Mason on Arctic (the 2nd one) hit me on PM if so

some other female soul pics

Archie Bell is a transexual

Adam, do you have that new Nicole Willis record on Timmion? its super good imo...

no, I am sleeperating. BTW did you need that Barbara Mason on Arctic (the 2nd one) hit me on PM if so

some other female soul pics

I like that hand-on-thigh theme you came up with on the upper left.

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts
    Lyn Collins and Ann Peebles all day!

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts
    I wish Delilah Moore and Jodi Gales had full length rackords out..

• A beautiful record, tough to get and if you don't own it, you need to.

Can someone starighten me out on what the essential Barbara Acklin LPs are and which ones are simply compiled from her two previous releases?

this is the only one I've kept over the years... but there's another one that commands some dough and I think is worthwhile although I haven't heard it in some time.

• nrichnrich 932 Posts

Gloria Jones

yes indeed!

• TREWTREW 2,037 Posts
    we need some Maxayn love up in here

No, we don't

thanks for playing though.

• the crazy cajun recordings are the stuff produced by Heuy P Meaux and were released on the tribe lable..ie. "Im a good woman", "Until Im Free","You left the water running", etc....her best stuff IMO...blows the Atlantic LP stuff outta the water.
    you can get the video shingaling posted on DVD, a six volume set of the TV show "the Beat"

No, we don't

If your level is inhabitted by mediocre funk-rock like Maxayne, I'd prefer not to.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    the crazy cajun recordings are the stuff produced by Heuy P Meaux and were released on the tribe lable..ie. "Im a good woman", "Until Im Free","You left the water running", etc....her best stuff IMO...blows the Atlantic LP stuff outta the water.
    you can get the video shingaling posted on DVD, a six volume set of the TV show "the Beat"

I DL'd the crazy cajun recordings about on waxidermy but I'm hoping for some vinyl on this. did they ever release it in that format?

• the crazy cajun recordings are the stuff produced by Heuy P Meaux and were released on the tribe lable..ie. "Im a good woman", "Until Im Free","You left the water running", etc....her best stuff IMO...blows the Atlantic LP stuff outta the water.

I DL'd the crazy cajun recordings about on waxidermy but I'm hoping for some vinyl on this. did they ever release it in that format?

I dont know about an LP, all I have are the 45s

here are a coule pics I took of her here in Memphis at the Ponderosa Stomp

• Queenie Lyons
    Vicki Anderson
    Candi
    Marcia Griffiths

• TREWTREW 2,037 Posts
    we need some Maxayn love up in here

No, we don't

If your level is inhabitted by mediocre funk-rock like Maxayne, I'd prefer not to.

to each his own.. i've got respect for lowrider soul. at least we agree on one thing

No, we don't

Do too. The first self-titled album was forgettable, but Maxayn & Co. got their groove quick with the next two, Mindful and Bail Out! For Fun. May as well throw in some Joyce Kennedy love (Mother's Finest recordings ONLY) as well as giving the female from Black Nasty some spotlight time as well.