The New Female Soul Thread

Comments

• However interesting Maxayn's artistic progression might be, I can't really cotton to the idea that Mindful or Bail Out For Fun belong within an avenue block of the records mentioned in this thread.

• TREWTREW 2,037 Posts
    However interesting Maxayn's artistic progression might be, I can't really cotton to the idea that Mindful or Bail Out For Fun belong within an avenue block of the records mentioned in this thread.

two different worlds.. sweet soul and southern funky isht don't even belong in the same crate. but this thread was titled "female soul" so IMO anything goes.. bring it follz.

• JEAN PLUM

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts

can't forget...

• motown67motown67 4,513 Posts
    Let me throw out a couple more:

More on the dance tip but still good:

• oh man, great group, but that is their WORST record, that tune is almost a novelty song. Their killers are "How can you mistreat the one you love" and "Hang Me Now"...

No disrespect, but if anyone is curious and wants some good Jean and the Darlings, I just think "Soul Girl" will turn them off...

• oh man, great group, but that is their WORST record, that tune is almost a novelty song. Their killers are "How can you mistreat the one you love" and "Hang Me Now"...

No disrespect, but if anyone is curious and wants some good Jean and the Darlings, I just think "Soul Girl" will turn them off...

An unbeleivably harsh appraisal of one of my fave 45s...

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    Patti Drew
    No idea why, but I always thought Patti Drew was white. You live and learn.

Moder soul represent;

Largest jpeg I can find for Ullanda McCullough's Ashford & Simpson written/produced Atlantic solo joint from 1980. Worth copping for "Bad Company" alone.

Shirley Jones' "Always In The Mood" - great, widely slept-on mid-80's Philly. Side one is incredible.

Ditto this one. Great cover of Loose Ends' "Ain't You Had Enough Love" on here.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    Shirley Jones' "Always In The Mood" - great, widely slept-on mid-80's Philly. Side one is incredible.

Yeah, that's a great album - one of the few moder joints I
    keep in heavy rotation.

Here's one that hasn't been mentioned yet:

Her entire album on Calla is great, although for some
    reason this song isn't on it, and it may be her best!
    (pic courtesy of funky 16 corners)

• Here's one that hasn't been mentioned yet:

Her entire album on Calla is great, although for some
    reason this song isn't on it, and it may be her best!
    (pic courtesy of funky 16 corners)

FAAAAAAANNNTASTIC RECORD!!!

• Carol Woods "Out of the Woods" has two great tracks very much in the vein of alice clark.

I would like to get my hands on the Barbara Howards LP. Has it even been reissued?....cause it really needs to be.

• i don't think she's been mentioned yet - Brenda Holloway

• i don't think she's been mentioned yet - Brenda Holloway

• i assume everyone has heard it, but if you haven't "All I Do Is Think About You" by Tammi Terrell from the Cellarful of Motown comp is

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    i assume everyone has heard it, but if you haven't "All I Do Is Think About You" by Tammi Terrell from the Cellarful of Motown comp is

I don't think I've heard it...post that shit!

I got to throw some gospel love in here too

Gladys McFadden & the Loving sisters - "Running short Of Love" (ABC/Peacock)

for the umpteenth time I gotta thank Peaceful B.Cause for hipping me to this album

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    Miss Johnnie
    Maxine Brown
    Inez Foxx
    Little Eva
    Cookies
    Ikettes/Mirettes
    Betty Everett
    Marvelettes
    Hortense Ellis
    Susan Cadogan

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    Gladys Knight- Standing Ovation (love the first couple tracks)

Irene Reid- I've Been Here all the Time (i need a better copy, but instrumentation and vocals are NICE)

Aretha Franklin- Amazing Grace (well more like Gospel, but still worth it for the title track alone)

the flip of this - Here I Go Again - is AMAZING.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    Miss Johnnie
    Cookies
    Hortense Ellis
    Susan Cadogan

I'm not familiar, but I want to be. Plaese to school me on these artists

Miss Johnnie
    Cookies
    Hortense Ellis
    Susan Cadogan

I'm not familiar, but I want to be. Plaese to school me on these artists

last two are reggae artists with beautiful soul voices -

Hortense Ellis and her brother Alton do a great cover of People Make the World Go Round and she does an amazing version of Woman of the Ghetto - these are the more popular tunes)

Susan Cadogan's strongest work is with Lee Perry.

the cookies

Miss Johnnie has a beautiful side called Let Sleeping Dogs Lie

• The Sapphires- Who Do You Love

Tammi Terrell- All I Do Is Think About You

• not sure if they were mentioned, but damn if the Honey and the Bee's stuff on Arctic isn't pure

also on the soulful reggae tip

• nrichnrich 932 Posts
    this is a heavy-on-the-45 genre.

here's a good one

• [

oh man, great group, but that is their WORST record, that tune is almost a novelty song. Their killers are "How can you mistreat the one you love" and "Hang Me Now"...

An unbeleivably harsh appraisal of one of my fave 45s...

I gotta roll with the Hook-Up on this one. Probablly one of the worst songs ever on the red/black Volt label. It whoops "Yankie Doodle" though.