Am I PAP for liking the new Common?

2»

Comments

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

just kidding, the new Common is the best album of the year

And "Cassidy's flow is so nice," right?

Sometimes I wonder about you, TheMack.

This album is really only impressive in comparison with that Electric Muppets trash.

Considered on its own, it's just kind of okay.
    whats good Faux? seriously, everything sucks to you.

Not like Cassidy and being disappointed in Common's album now = "everything sucks"?

To be honest, I was maybe a little harsh last night. Today I'm kind of liking the second half of the album. I could maybe sit on the stoop and listen to parts of this over the summer. I would, of course, have to cut it off before reaching the "Pop's Rap" joint.

• izm707izm707 1,107 Posts
    didnt like the beats besides "food"...

now people gonna answer this question for me : why is that his first LP (the second and the third too) was SOUNDING better than his last effort???
    and i'm talking about the mixing, the global result afer mastering. WTF is wrong with this picture?? Where are the attack on kicks? Where is the reverb work on snare (and don't mention that Doggone snare release he used on Corners, it don't count)...Something is wrong. So here's my final question : are "people" sampling off of low bitrate MP3 or what?

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts
    didnt like the beats besides "food"...

now people gonna answer this question for me : why is that his first LP (the second and the third too) was SOUNDING better than his last effort???
    and i'm talking about the mixing, the global result afer mastering. WTF is wrong with this picture?? Where are the attack on kicks? Where is the reverb work on snare (and don't mention that Doggone snare release he used on Corners, it don't count)...Something is wrong. So here's my final question : are "people" sampling off of low bitrate MP3 or what?

yes. but i agree that the mastering job sucks on the common lp. I dont know, it happens with some of kanyes shit. Ive spoken with the engineer that mixes alot of his stuff though and generally he leaves a lot of work to be done. I think that sound might just be part of his aesthetic though. As far as the reverb on the snare, I aint herd anything like that in a while.

• Young_PhonicsYoung_Phonics 8,039 Posts
    there is some serious "little dude-ism" in this thread. the reasons and the excuses that are being tossed around are hilarious.

Not to mention the fact that he would slap the shit outta each and every one of you for calling him soft.

Not to mention the fact that he would slap the shit outta each and every one of you for calling him soft.

YOU MEAN THE PEOPLE ON SOULSTRUT AREN'T HARD! OH MY GOD MY WORLD IS CRUMBLING!

Seriously, 90% percent people on this message board are "soft" . Me included.

• TheMackTheMack 3,414 Posts
    cosign. no one on this board is "HARD"

i mean, i aint no slouch, but im not "HARD"

exactly, I'm assuming we'll throw them mad bows when neccesarry, but if you're on the internet that often then you don't have a triple-beam in the crib.

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    exactly, I'm assuming we'll throw them mad bows when neccesarry, but if you're on the internet that often then you don't have a triple-beam in the crib.

Um... blud, that's why I'm on the internet that often... ain't shit to do but cook

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    Fat Joe in the new Entertainment Weekly (my roommate has a subscription): "Common's on fire right now. I just heard the beat (Go!) and started buggin'. Dope. He's killin' them this year. This is my most anticipated album"

I'm probably gonna wait a while to check it out myself... hell I still haven't brought myself to listen to Electric Circus yet.

• tonyphronetonyphrone 1,500 Posts
    Day 2 ....I'm embracing my softness. Commons flow is as comfy as a cosby sweater.

On the Vinyl, sides A and C are doin it for me!

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts

• izm707izm707 1,107 Posts
    yes. but i agree that the mastering job sucks on the common

Yes??!! You meant yes they do sample low bitrates MP3. Man...that's insane. When you're a that level of the game, that's s a shame. I hear some buzzin' sounds in some tracks that let me further think they don't own a lot of records they claim to use. But that's ok. To each his own. I don't wanna start a debate.

Just between you and me, if that happens, the mastering cannot do anything. ti will suxxx whatever you do. Mastering ain't magic. You need good material before to be happy after.lol.

• LazerLazer 796 Posts
    Common to perform "Corners" on Live w/Regis and Kelly in a few minutes. Damn, I must be soft as feathers, listening to (and liking) the new Common, aaaaaaand religously watching Regis, I mean Kelly.

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    ti will suxxx whatever you do.

PAP!