Borat yay or nay

2»

Comments

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    its not that you dont 'get it' and therefore dont like it. thats fine, your cup of tea is your cup of tea. BUT its definitely a case of you not 'getting it' if you compare borat to blackface.

lol - now is that the final word? like as in definitely definitely?

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    Borat is totally brownface. There's no way around it. That doesn't mean you can't find it funny, dudes. But its most definitely PROBLEMATIC.

His 'anti-semitism' is probably the least offensive part of his act, because he's clearly coming from a place of I am jewish and this is what people think of us, where he can unpackage other folks' anti-semitic perspectives, underlining that 'subtle racism' in other folks that we all talk about but have trouble putting into words.

In fact, his act is the funniest when its putting these unexpecting people on stage to do their own thing, say the stupid shit they believe and see how far the ave. american is willing to let shit slide.

He's unfunny when he's just hamming up his kazahk persona for jokes (i.e. "i kiss my sister" (audience laughs)).

He's funny when you get to see people react as if he's from kazakstan, and their stereotypes play into accepting outrageous behavior as normal (i.e. "I kiss my sister," "oh, we don't do that in this country.")

• jaymackjaymack 5,199 Posts

He's unfunny when he's just hamming up his kazahk persona for jokes (i.e. "i kiss my sister" (audience laughs)).

naah, thats pretty fuckin funny.

• magneticmagnetic 2,678 Posts
    Nay,none of the characters this dude does are funny.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts

No. "Get it, 3rd world folks fuck their sisters!" is not very funny. Thats some "Idiocracy"* shit.

*whatchu know about new mike judge feat. scarface

• He's unfunny when he's just hamming up his kazahk persona for jokes (i.e. "i kiss my sister" (audience laughs)).

No. "Get it, 3rd world folks fuck their sisters!" is not very funny. Thats some "Idiocracy"* shit.

*whatchu know about new mike judge feat. scarface

But is it funny when he actually shows you a pic of him fucking his sister, reverse cowgirl no less?

My homeboys wanted to go see "Idiocracy" a week or so ago but since I knew nothing of it the plan went to shit when I stood firm on my request to see the new Broken Lizard jawn "Beerfest". I need to see if Idiocracy is still playing here.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    Idiocracy is actually pretty bad and is a disappointment considering its Mike Judge. Should have been an hour long. Its got some pretty decent gags but it has no chance of becoming an office space style breakout cult hit. Still, Scarface is in it!

The reverse cowboy sex pic was only funny because he showed it to an old man who took it at face value! Thats why the Ali G movie was so bad, when everyone's in on the joke it has absolutely no power.

• I've never met a white person from Kazakhstan & I've known a lot of people from there. Its not part of eastern europe. Unless you count China as eastern europe. Part of what makes Borat funny is that he's inventing a culture as he parodies it, but no one knows the difference cause no one knows anything about Kazakhstan. Its like if I put on burmuda shorts & a party hat & said in a high pitched voice "look, I'm african!" Who knows, though? I haven't seen all of his vids. Maybe he slants his eyes or something.

• Shit is funny to me. That's it. You guys tend to over analyze things way too fucking much.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    "Thinking gives you wrinkles!"

• MeepMeep 320 Posts
    The whole 'blackface' connection seems weird, especially since the only real racist/ignorant points are being made by the people on the show, not 'borat'. Maybe the PC strut can be outraged at rednecks talking about 'hunting jews' while on safari.

• jaymackjaymack 5,199 Posts

boy
    our pres, always working on the important issues.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    nay.

• What's funny to me, is how some of you's make the claim that he's unfunny for ____________. That's actually the thing that I find hysterical.
    Your taste in comedy (also music, etc,.) is your taste and not the god damn law.

• huge yay. hysterical yet levels deep. just the shot in the arm comedy needed.

• KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts
    huge yay. hysterical yet levels deep. just the shot in the arm comedy needed.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    What's funny to me, is how some of you's make the claim that he's unfunny for ____________. That's actually the thing that I find hysterical.
    Your taste in comedy (also music, etc,.) is your taste and not the god damn law.