dusty grooves been killin it

troublemantroubleman 1,928 Posts
edited September 2006 in Strut Central
in the past week they had...J.R. Bailey for $60 in VG+Syl Johnson "Dresses Too Short" for $160 in VGJean Wells for $35Ella Washington on SS7 for $40S.O.U.L "what is it" in VG+ for a little over a billI jumped on that Jean Wells but I jumped on by those others too late. Dusty Groove's been shitted on by alot of people here. But if you stay in that VG/VG+, I've been nothing but satified. I've been a loyal customer for over 7 years. Anybody score any niceness from them recently?

Comments

• reskresk 391 Posts
    honestly i havent bought anything from ages, but they where always super quick on delivery and above average on customer service with my passed experiences.

only thing is i remember people questioning their grading standards

• I'm not trying to be facetious but I didn't know they sold OG's.
    I was under the impression that they only stocked reissues.

• reskresk 391 Posts
    nah homie, they stock OG's too. though their repress selection is fairly thourough

• their repress selection is fairly thourough

and more reasonably priced than most places I've noticed.

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    Have you gotten this stuff yet? I've been real sketchy on buying used vinyl from them for the last couple of years. Their grading can be all over the place...

• my jean wells was vg+ and plays NM. Super clean. Though I do admit I got a VG+ record last year that had those paint/concrete-like splatters that can come off fairly easily it you use a qtip, but damn, clean that shit.

yeah, that is the weird thing. sometimes VG+ means mint, and sometimes it means VG-.

• the way I see it. Their track record is WAY better than my ebay exploits. Now theres a place where people forget how to grade. I've been jacked there way more...whereas if you contact DG you're not satisfied you can send it back with full credit/cash.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts

Ella Washington on SS7 for $40

• Ella Washington on SS7 for $40

ha ha, I thought of you first when I saw that Ella Washington since you commented on Guzzo finding one a couple weekend finds posts a while back. We really do have very similar tastes in music....that Chubby Checker is ridiculous by the way.

Guzzo carries a printout of my "wants" posts in his purse

• Guzzo carries a printout of my "wants" posts in his man[/b]purse

• I've heard that the grading was shitty. I'd only fuck with a VG+ record from these dudes if it was a cheap ass record. Even when it comes to other dealers, I'm wary of that VG+ grade.

• I copped the S.O.U.L., actually...

Also got Curtis "Roots," VG w/ Calendar (I was just looking for a copy with calendar...I can upgrade the record later.) Gilberto Gil & Jorge Ben VG+ acoustic 2Lp, and "Everybody Loves a Winner," (the jazz; not moder soul) NM-.

Agree...I hadn't checked in a looong time, but had some birthday money, and did pretty good.

As for the grading...If you only fuck with the higher grade stuff, you're fine. and, if there are problems, they're return policy is great and easy. It sucks that they don't adjust prices to the lower grades, but if you don't buy VG-, it isn't a problem you need to worry about.

• KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts

Syl Johnson "Dresses Too Short" for $160 in VG

You better believe I tried me luck on this. That's a fucking deal, but I missed it too!

In the last year I scored the Pete Rock - creator remix promo-only 12" for $25. It was listed as VG and it's at LEAST that by most standards. I was very happy with that.

• i missed "my baby likes to boogaloo" by don gardner in vg for something like $13 or $14 ....

finished with the jo ann garrett "we can learn together" in vg (more a nice vg+ imo) for $3 ...

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts
    Wow, I'm surprised they aren't price gouging on many of those pieces you mentioned, troubleman.

Is there something I'm missing about getting the scoop from them on what comes in?

Because browsing through their New Arrivals page, even every so often, is a bitch.

• Wow, I'm surprised they aren't price gouging on many of those pieces you mentioned, troubleman.

Is there something I'm missing about getting the scoop from them on what comes in?

Because browsing through their New Arrivals page, even every so often, is a bitch.

i just go to the new arrivals every night around 7ish when they update it. Order IMMEDIATELY, and you can always say that "nah, I don't want it," the next day when your order process. But, if you wait, the raerer items will be gone, as they go fastest- missed out on a sealed, "What Color is Love," for $70 last week b/c I ordered at 10pm.

As for their prices, they don't seem to gouge on much. Sometimes, they do silly stuff- they had BW Souls "Marvin's Groove," for $40 for a month or so- but, on bigger pieces, their prices never seem too high.

Wow, I'm surprised they aren't price gouging on many of those pieces you mentioned, troubleman.

i just go to the new arrivals every night around 7ish when they update it. Order IMMEDIATELY, and you can always say that "nah, I don't want it," the next day when your order process. But, if you wait, the raerer items will be gone, as they go fastest- missed out on a sealed, "What Color is Love," for $70 last week b/c I ordered at 10pm.

As for their prices, they don't seem to gouge on much. Sometimes, they do silly stuff- they had BW Souls "Marvin's Groove," for $40 for a month or so- but, on bigger pieces, their prices never seem too high.

that is the weird thing. their rarer stuff is almost always on the cheap side, but they continue to price VG- Lou Donaldson Hot Dog at $49.99

but yeah, I find some good deal on the new arrivals as well, but like you guys say, it's hard to actually get them.

• buttonbutton 1,475 Posts

Anyone else find it really hard to "browse" dustygroove for too long without nearly destroying your eyesight? My whole body gets this weird fatigue after 3 minutes on there. But I guess that's why y'all catch deals and I don't. Needless to say, time to update your layout son.

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts

They don't seem to be too affected by the rest of the online market... most of their prices were set a long time ago as far as I can tell, which means some things are cheaper and some are too expensive (they probably still ask $100+ for Foster Sylvers and RAMP, and the funny thing is they eventually sell all that stuff too)

• $150 vg dresses too short somehow doesn't sound too exciting. maybe for a pieces of peace i'd be excited.....who knows? at dusty that may be possible. anyone ever got a pieces of peace from dusty groove????????????? i bet it would be less than a bone.

dusty groove is cool because they don't know anything about high end nor do they want to know about it. if you bring up high values to the owners they really don't care. as long as they move tons o shit for decent prices they're good. i seriously wonder how many motherfuckers have picked up $50 copies of BLACK FAIRY, THIRD RAIL, LARRY DIXON.....the list goes on and on.

$150 vg dresses too short somehow doesn't sound too exciting.

Yeah, that one turns up all the time

• SoulhawkSoulhawk 3,197 Posts
    $150 vg dresses too short somehow doesn't sound too exciting.

Yeah, that one turns up all the time

isn't every single song off the record on fairly common 45s too?

if dg had pieces of peace it would probably be graded vgminus because of a minor inaudible surface scuff & be priced at 14.99

the best deal I heard of from DG was the 10 cheapie copies of Arnold Blair on Gemigo...

Actually, I was being sarcastic - I would love to find
    a copy of Dresses Too Short - although I was wondering
    how many tracks on it aren't on 45, myself.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    in the past week they had...

J.R. Bailey for $60 in VG+!!!
    Syl Johnson "Dresses Too Short" for $160 in VG!!!
    Jean Wells for $35!!!
    Ella Washington on SS7 for $40!!!
    S.O.U.L "what is it" in VG+ for a little over a bill!!!

I jumped on that Jean Wells but I jumped on by those others too late!!!

Dusty Groove's been shitted on by alot of people here!!! But if you stay in that VG/VG+, I've been nothing but satified!!! I've been a loyal customer for over 7 years!!! Anybody score any niceness from them recently!!!???

I fixed the punctuation.

• I first discovered Dusty Groove via their OGs...was lookin for a Ray Draper about 5 or so years ago and a dusty groove link popped up in a search engine...they always have at least couple things priced right...

• the best deal I heard of from DG was the 10 cheapie copies of Arnold Blair on Gemigo...

dont know it...whatthat?

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    (they probably still ask $100+ for Foster Sylvers)

• KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts
    missed out on a sealed, "What Color is Love," for $70 last week b/c I ordered at 10pm.

Sorry 'bout dat!