Idiocracy

GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
edited September 2006 in Strut Central
Why haven;t I heard anything about this movie until today?seriously no advertising, no webpage, not even a word of mouth thingy. It's got an interesting cast (maya rudolph, Luke wilson) directed and written by Mike Judge and yet...silenceanybody seen this, anybody know about this, got anything to say on this?

Comments

• Yeah, I heard about this a while ago, but had no idea it came out. It will probably be like office space and become a hit when it goes to video.

• the onion av club reviewed it this week. lead review, saying it was another good mike judge movie getting the shaft. i haven't gotten around to reading it yet, but it sounds like it is backing this sentiment.

• -

• magneticmagnetic 2,678 Posts
    This dude's a underrated comedic genius

He plays President Comacho in it,i cant wait to see this.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    Yeah, I read the AV Club review, and now I really want to see it. But I hadn't even heard of it before yesterday. What the hell is that all about?

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    I heard about this yesterday. I don't even think that there is a trailer for it.

They gave it a really weird release here, it's not playing in any downtown theatres (on second thought this could be because of the film festival...)

No, it's playing here. One of the few cities playing it.

Check out Canada Square (Famous Players) on Yonge

PS - I brought this kinda up in another thread a bit back.

Mike Judge gets no luv!

• bluesnagbluesnag 1,285 Posts
    This dude's a underrated comedic genius

He plays President Comacho in it,i cant wait to see this.

this dude is great. he's awesome in "everybody hates chris". that's a show that doesn't get the shine it should, speaking of that.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    I heard about this yesterday. I don't even think that there is a trailer for it.

They gave it a really weird release here, it's not playing in any downtown theatres (on second thought this could be because of the film festival...)

Mike Judge gets no luv!

so have you seen the movie? If so please to give a review. I'm just kinda surprised that this film got absolutely no buzz. I mean I work in the entertainment industry and am surrounded by people talking about new music, tv shows, and movies and not once have I heard anyone mention this.

• -

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts

Mike Judge gets no luv!

so have you seen the movie? If so please to give a review. I'm just kinda surprised that this film got absolutely no buzz. I mean I work in the entertainment industry and am surrounded by people talking about new music, tv shows, and movies and not once have I heard anyone mention this.

No, I haven't seen it yet. Was going to try this weekend.

• there was a pretty extensive article/interview in Esquire
    about Judge and the movie.

it definitely seemed the studio was less than stoked.

• TSGTSG 274 Posts
    really great...only found out about it through a co-worker recently and it's definitely worth seeing in the theater if possible.

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    Yeah, I read that Esquire article as well and totally forgot about this movie.

I don't remember exactly what he said, but basically the film co. intentionally tried to dead it.

From Wikipedia:

The film was originally titled "Uh-Merica" and later referred to as "3001" (this title was always known to be a place holder title), and was shown to test audiences around March 2005. There were unofficial reports of very poor ratings from that viewing. Some re-filming purportedly took place in the summer of 2005. Release was even further stalled, possibly relating to a civil suit in which several companies (Costco, Starbucks and Fuddruckers) were unhappy with the way they were satirized in the film.

In April 2006, a release date was finally set for September 1, 2006. But less than a month before it was set for release, numerous articles [1] revealed that the film's release was to be put on hold indefinitely. Although the release went ahead as planned, it was only a limited release (125 theaters), as opposed to a wide one (2,500-3,000). Initially, the film has been released only in Los Angeles, Atlanta, Toronto, Chicago and three cities in Mike Judge's home state of Texas--Dallas, Houston, and his hometown Austin.

According to Austin360.com, 20th Century fox, the film's distributor, has done nothing to promote the movie -- no trailers, posters, television spots or even press kits for media outlets are being provided.[/b]

Strange.

Yeah, I read that Esquire article as well and totally forgot about this movie.

I don't remember exactly what he said, but basically the film co. intentionally tried to dead it.

From Wikipedia:

The film was originally titled "Uh-Merica" and later referred to as "3001" (this title was always known to be a place holder title), and was shown to test audiences around March 2005. There were unofficial reports of very poor ratings from that viewing. Some re-filming purportedly took place in the summer of 2005. Release was even further stalled, possibly relating to a civil suit in which several companies (Costco, Starbucks and Fuddruckers) were unhappy with the way they were satirized in the film.

In April 2006, a release date was finally set for September 1, 2006. But less than a month before it was set for release, numerous articles [1] revealed that the film's release was to be put on hold indefinitely. Although the release went ahead as planned, it was only a limited release (125 theaters), as opposed to a wide one (2,500-3,000). Initially, the film has been released only in Los Angeles, Atlanta, Toronto, Chicago and three cities in Mike Judge's home state of Texas--Dallas, Houston, and his hometown Austin.

According to Austin360.com, 20th Century fox, the film's distributor, has done nothing to promote the movie -- no trailers, posters, television spots or even press kits for media outlets are being provided.[/b]

Strange.

That's weird. There has been a poster at the AMC in Tucson for a few months, and yet it's not playing in this city. Guess I'll have to wait for the DVD.

• snosno 332 Posts
    I thought the movie is still being made.

I thought the movie is still being made.

No, it's playing it some cities now.