THE WIRE- season four

Comments

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    Check Slim Charles back in the day

• Check Slim Charles back in the day

wierd. what's the backstory on this guy? is he a professional actor or what?

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts

wierd. what's the backstory on this guy? is he a professional actor or what?

Nothing too weird, was a founding member of popular Go Go act Backyard Band, now a professional actor. Caught a suspended sentence in 2004 for gun possesion in DC, got off light because he does a lot of speaking to kids and schools about the perils of street life. Got caught with a 9mm in a traffic stop, evidently his high profile after the Wire gig made him a bit worried, can't say I blame him. Article said he has been shot 9 times, once on stage!

(oh, and on the off chance Sabadab is slumming in this thread, my source is the Washington Post)

• all I have to say is the first day of school in ill!

and Omar back. In silk jammies.

the illest shit ever. and he got a new man too.looking for that honey nut!
    what was the shit at the table all about? why did he say he didnt want the drugs they threw him?

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    why did he say he didnt want the drugs they threw him?
    getting shit easy isn't omar's way of getting things. he talks about how he needs to do some more high profile shit later on or something. if you watched the preview, you know EXACTLY what dude is speaking of and you can tell the next episode is going to be crazy

• [
    (oh, and on the off chance Sabadab is slumming in this thread, my source is the Washington Post)

LOL

i cant comment too much cause i snuck ahead and watched next weeks episode on on-demand (couldnt help it) and i get the episodes confused.

• edpowersedpowers 4,437 Posts
    I need all 13 episodes now.......damn the wait

• I need all 13 episodes now.......damn the wait

I'm just waiting for the whole season to leak. They've been giving reviewers the whole season on dvd...

• motown67motown67 4,513 Posts
    Man just finished Season 3. I don't think I have ever been so sad to see the end a season of any show. I really felt personally invested in the characters by the end there (as corny as that sounds).

This show, and particularly this season, is some of the most serious TV I've ever seen - from a screenwriting, acting and directing standpoint. You could learn so much from just watching Season 3: about politics, relationships, crime. Shit was realer than real.

I am sooo there with you on this. I've said this before but the Wire has to be the best piece of TV ever made about America. I don't know if you've seen the two 30-min. background shorts they made for Season 4, but one of the creators talks about how he feels like America has turned its back and betrayed his city of Baltimore. That can be said about so many of this country's urban areas.

• It seems like a lot of the role-players on The Wire have backgrounds in the music industry; obviously Method Man and wassisname from Onyx. Can anyone break down some of the other actors started in music?

• JRootJRoot 861 Posts
    Man just finished Season 3. I don't think I have ever been so sad to see the end a season of any show. I really felt personally invested in the characters by the end there (as corny as that sounds).

This show, and particularly this season, is some of the most serious TV I've ever seen - from a screenwriting, acting and directing standpoint. You could learn so much from just watching Season 3: about politics, relationships, crime. Shit was realer than real.

I am sooo there with you on this. I've said this before but the Wire has to be the best piece of TV ever made about America. I don't know if you've seen the two 30-min. background shorts they made for Season 4, but one of the creators talks about how he feels like America has turned its back and betrayed his city of Baltimore. That can be said about so many of this country's urban areas.

I've only had the pleasure of watching season one of "The Wire." See we have this running debate around our house between me and the missus. i love watching shows and movies that engage with the real nitty gritty of the world, the issues of the day, and I've got a massive soft spot for ones that deal with race and crime, especially when they're together (and in this country, they're always together). So when it comes to "The Wire," I'm all - this is the best cop show I've ever seen in my life. She's all - this is kind of depressing. Which it is, but I've got this way about me that depressing things really don't get me down so much if they aren't directly in my life. For this reason, I can listen to Cat Power and Will Oldham with emotional impunity. At least, without feeling the compelling need to be destructive to myself or others. And I can watch The Wire and think of nothing other than how right they get the characters in their complexity and flaws, and how complex all of this really is.

Ain't it grand.

Maybe I'll rent season 2 this weekend.

the wife's away.

Can you tell? I'm here aren't I.

XOSOULSTRUT,
    JRoot

• slate had an article on The Wire this week, calling it the best show in TV history...

http://www.slate.com/id/2149566/

Confession: I've never seen it, but I don't have HBO. Don't jump on me; after reading this, it will be rented.

• dollar_bindollar_bin I heartily endorse this product and/or event 2,326 Posts
    Don't jump on me; after reading this, it will be rented.

That's all we ask.

ps, thanks for the link

I gotta say, one of THE funniest things I have ever seen on TV came in season one of the Wire.

McNulty shows up at this ladies house in the middle of the night and she answers the door telling him that Bunk has locked himself in the bathroom and set off the fire alarm a couple times. McNulty gets into the bathroom and Bunk is drunk off his ass and has tried to light his clothes on fire. Bunk says he's destroying the "material evidence" because he's afraid when he gets home to his wife (?) he'll be caught for cheating. All Bunk says is, "Do I smell like pussy? Do you smell pussy?" I was laughing so hard I was cryin.

And another great revelation on the depth of the writing behind the series came in those two HBO 30 min. specials for Season 4. One of the creators talked about how one of the messages of Season 3 was the parallel stories of Stringer who was trying to run the drug game even more like a business and stop the violence over corners between rival crews for greater profits and the police major who ran the Western Div. and tried to legalize drugs. In the end both failed with the message that you can't change the drug game. I'd never realized that parallel before and it just made me think of how deep this series really is.

• slate had an article on The Wire this week, calling it the best show in TV history...

Confession: I've never seen it, but I don't have HBO. Don't jump on me; after reading this, it will be rented.

yo thanks for the link. I found this quote to be right on: "This year, The Wire's political science is as brilliant as its sociology. It leaves The West Wing, and everything else television has tried to do on this subject, in the dust."

This is what I've been trying to tell people about this show! The Wire, ostensibly a crime drama, still manages to get politics even better than the West Wing. And, in my opinion, the relationship stuff (romantic and otherwise) in the Wire is up there with any of the critiically acclaimed dramas of the last decade (ER, etc.). All of this within the context of a cops-and-hustlers show. The show is just serious.

• McNulty shows up at this ladies house in the middle of the night and she answers the door telling him that Bunk has locked himself in the bathroom and set off the fire alarm a couple times. McNulty gets into the bathroom and Bunk is drunk off his ass and has tried to light his clothes on fire. Bunk says he's destroying the "material evidence" because he's afraid when he gets home to his wife (?) he'll be caught for cheating. All Bunk says is, "Do I smell like pussy? Do you smell pussy?" I was laughing so hard I was cryin.

That was hilarious! But it also led to one of the most painful moments I've ever seen on the show. When Bunk is in bed and he Mcnulty is leaving the room and he stops him and say "Jimmy, You're no good for people." The expression on Mcnulty's face had so much pain. I really felt for him.

• McNulty shows up at this ladies house in the middle of the night and she answers the door telling him that Bunk has locked himself in the bathroom and set off the fire alarm a couple times. McNulty gets into the bathroom and Bunk is drunk off his ass and has tried to light his clothes on fire. Bunk says he's destroying the "material evidence" because he's afraid when he gets home to his wife (?) he'll be caught for cheating. All Bunk says is, "Do I smell like pussy? Do you smell pussy?" I was laughing so hard I was cryin.

That was hilarious! But it also led to one of the most painful moments I've ever seen on the show. When Bunk is in bed and he Mcnulty is leaving the room and he stops him and say "Jimmy, You're no good for people." The expression on Mcnulty's face had so much pain. I really felt for him.

word. and I was hurting for him at the end of Season 3 also when the case ends. But there does seem to be some self-realization and resolution with his return to the Western District beat and his encounter at the end with that port authority cop woman from Season 2.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    Now he all domestic and shit.

Which I enjoy seeing. After three seasons of McNulty the interpersonal disaster case, he deserves a break.

Let's watch how Prez does though.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    slate had an article on The Wire this week, calling it the best show in TV history...

It is undoubtedly the best show ever, but that piece was straight embarassing:

In the Baltimore ghetto, yo is both a salutation and the third-person singular pronoun.

I had to give in and watched tonight's episode using On Demand. I don't want to ruin anything for people who haven't seen it yet but Omar and Prez are hilarious.

• noznoz 3,625 Posts
    In the Baltimore ghetto, yo is both a salutation and the third-person singular pronoun.

In Bmore "yo" is, in fact, a third person singular prononoun, sort of an equivalent to the Philly "bol."

But yeah, all that "feel me" talk was unbearable.

In Bmore "yo" is, in fact, a third person singular prononoun, sort of an equivalent to the Philly "bol."

But yeah, all that "feel me" talk was unbearable.

Cops and working class white types a lot of places use it that way--and I've always understood it to be a semi-racist term. You're telling me it's also used that way "in the Baltimore ghetto"?

• I had to give in and watched tonight's episode using On Demand. I don't want to ruin anything for people who haven't seen it yet but Omar and Prez are hilarious.

Can't wait. This season has been great so far, especially the character development with the kids.

None of this answers the question.... WILL CUTTY GET SOME???

In all seriousness tho, I think he's going to be one of the pivotal players in this season and next (the last!) season.

• noznoz 3,625 Posts
    Cops and working class white types a lot of places use it that way--and I've always understood it to be a semi-racist term. You're telling me it's also used that way "in the Baltimore ghetto"?

If The Wire is to be believed. And most of their other facts check out.

I have never heard anybody but a white person use the word in this way, and I have never heard it used to refer to anybody but a Black person.

I'd say that's pretty consistent with the way the show's writers use it, except for occasionally placing it in the mouth of a Black street cop, which I read as a commentary on what policing will do to a person's mentality.

• noznoz 3,625 Posts

I have never heard anybody but a white person use the word in this way, and I have never heard it used to refer to anybody but a Black person.

I'd say that's pretty consistent with the way the show's writers use it, except for occasionally placing it in the mouth of a Black street cop, which I read as a commentary on what policing will do to a person's mentality.

They specifically discussed it on one of the previews for this season.

skip to 2:14

They specifically discussed it on one of the previews for this season.

skip to 2:14

Ah, well, I'll take your word for it--I should know better than to argue with the owner of a limited edition Marc Ecko-designed WIRE-themed hoodie...

• noznoz 3,625 Posts
    Ah, well, I'll take your word for it

Just watch the youtube clip, you stubborn old technophobe.

• Ed Burns + David Simon + George Pelecanos + Dennis LeHane = facemelting screenwriting. I am actually re-watching the 3rd season right now.

whoever's got the season 4 hookup (torrents, whatever) PM your boy please!

• skip to 2:14

a warning to those just getting up on the Wire: this clip contains a MAJOR SPOILER relating to a character death from season three. you have been warned.

as for the street slang section, I knew the slate article was a little off on "hopper" but aw well. the article was right on mostly. i will admit I didn't really know the "yo" thing before I started watching this.