• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Trae
    Z-Ro
    Slim Thug
    Bun B
    Chamillionaire
    Scarface
    Devin

All these dudes put on good shows down here in Texas on the regular (some more than others). And sometimes it's about context rather than how much a performance lives up to the same ole tired-ass rock-n-roll standard that so many choose to judge rap acts by.

I used to be a hardliner when it came to people rhyming over their own vocal tracks and 99% of the time I'll still laugh at it as wack. But there have been a few times where I've heard it work. Having an entire packed club rhyming every word to your song sometimes makes you overlook such petty analysis.

But for you purists, both Scarface and Devin have become known as of late for performing with a live band.

Oh yeah, and a Chingo Bling set is always good for some fun.

--youg dudes don't hone their stage show, because it's just not a crucial element for success as a rapper.

This is not true AT ALL.

Live shows are still where the big $ comes from for many, many rappers out there.

I agree that there are some who think that they can get by with a wack-ass stage show, and some do.

But that's the minority, at least down here in TX.

In fact, of the young rappers that I know here in Austin - Public Offenders, Young Nick, Element7d, Phranchyze, etc. - their live shows are their strongest suits.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    --youg dudes don't hone their stage show, because it's just not a crucial element for success as a rapper.

This is not true AT ALL.

Live shows are still where the big $ comes from for many, many rappers out there.

I agree that there are some who think that they can get by with a wack-ass stage show, and some do.

In fact, of the young rappers that I know here in Austin - Public Offenders, Young Nick, Element7d, Phranchyze, etc. - their live shows are their strongest suits.

Did you even read my preceding post, Shied?

Yes, rappers derive a substantial portion of their income from their live shows but, sadly, that does not mean that their live shows have to be good.

And, no offense, but Offenders, Young Nick, Element7d, Phranchyze and whatever 16 year olds are doing shows in your backyard aren't really who we're talking about here.

• the same ole tired-ass rock-n-roll standard that so many choose to judge rap acts by.

Common standards:

- speaking/rapping clearly through the microphone. Mic control

- having put in enough rehearsal to at least remember lyrics, if not cue points or (gasp) live change-ups

- if a group, having put in enough rehearsal so that when one member is rapping, others fall back rather than rap along/"back up" and drown out actual rapping group member

- limiting back up hype mans to one (two at most) and making sure that said hype mans don't rap more than the artist themself. Also their mics should be mixed lower

- a DJ (band can be substituted)

Let me know if this is rockist.

I think it's a totally reasonable standard. I don't go to rap shows because with the exception of old school groups dudes do not know how to perform.

This is not true AT ALL.

Yes, rappers derive a substantial portion of their income from their live shows but, sadly, that does not mean that their live shows have to be good.

And, no offense, but Offenders, Young Nick, Element7d, Phranchyze and whatever 16 year olds are doing shows in your backyard aren't really who we're talking about here.

And how have you come to these conclusions?

I don't ever hear of you attending many rap shows, nor knowing many young rappers.

But go ahead and continue to play Mr. omnipotent armchair quarterback.

Anyway...

The chitlin circuit is still alive and well down here in the South. And clubs in places like Tyler, TX and Alexandria, LA aren't having the likes of Z-Ro and Trae back every chance they get because dudes put on a lackluster show.

Artists stand to make in upwards of $10,000 a night doing clubs that don't even get promoted beyond a relatively small community of real people.

And in most cases, when shit goes off as planned without some behind the scenes bullshit and/or police harassment, the shows are lovely.

They're just not necessarily the kind of good that would be expected from a Rolling Stones concert.

the same ole tired-ass rock-n-roll standard that so many choose to judge rap acts by.

Common standards:

- having put in enough rehearsal to at least remember lyrics, if not cue points or (gasp) live change-ups

- if a group, having put in enough rehearsal so that when one member is rapping, others fall back rather than rap along/"back up" and drown out actual rapping group member

- limiting back up hype mans to one (two at most) and making sure that said hype mans don't rap more than the artist themself. Also their mics should be mixed lower

I think it's a totally reasonable standard. I don't go to rap shows because with the exception of old school groups dudes do not know how to perform.

Please name names of the artists you've seen who haven't lived up to this standard.

Mine would be...

Paul Wall
    Lil Flip

And that's about it, at least as far as big names from around here.

Oh yeah, M.O.P. put on one of the worst shows I've ever seen thanks to them having too many hype-men screaming on mics at the the same time.

And a lot of people were dissing MF Doom's last show here, but I thought it was great.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    the same ole tired-ass rock-n-roll standard that so many choose to judge rap acts by.

Common standards:

Its rockist and to me a weird standard, because sure those elements CAN be found at good shows but yr missing the CRUCIAL X-FACTOR which is whether or not you have fun at a show can often occur in spite of technical issues. Plenty of boring shows with few hype men, well rehearsed, clear voices and remembered lyrics. And I've seen some energetic, live-as-fuck shows where all of the above were not quite up to par.

I'm not real big on live performances in pop music in general (rap-rock-funk etc). Jazz live, though, without question, is the best way to experience the music.

I think I have the most fun at live shows where its basically a party.

Dead Prez were good live at intonation. Fred Hampton Jr. was there.

• there goes another one...

This is not true AT ALL.

And how have you come to these conclusions?

I don't ever hear of you attending many rap shows, nor knowing many young rappers.

But go ahead and continue to play Mr. omnipotent armchair quarterback.

Anyway...

The chitlin circuit is still alive and well down here in the South. And clubs in places like Tyler, TX and Alexandria, LA aren't having the likes of Z-Ro and Trae back every chance they get because dudes put on a lackluster show.

Artists stand to make in upwards of $10,000 a night doing clubs that don't even get promoted beyond a relatively small community of real people.

And in most cases, when shit goes off as planned without some behind the scenes bullshit and/or police harassment, the shows are lovely.

They're just not necessarily the kind of good that would be expected from a Rolling Stones concert.

LOL, dude, you've figured me out--the real reason I find rap shows disappointing is because I don't like rap at all! I prefer the Rolling Stones! And I can't enjoy myself without pyrotechnics and at least five costume changes per set! I think I'd better just retire this login and come back as alias.

And, no, you don't "hear of" of me attending many rap shows--that's because I don't think I've been to one this decade. Sorry, I spent the nineties attending rap shows regularly and have only been to a handful that were any good. These days, I'd prefer to invest the time and money in something else.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts

there goes another one...

Please to report to the Graemlin thread immediately.

::SINKING IN HARVEY CANAL::

And, no, you don't "hear of" of me attending many rap shows--that's because I don't think I've been to one this decade. Sorry, I spent the nineties attending rap shows regularly and have only been to a handful that were any good. These days, I'd prefer to invest the time and money in something else.

Then what gives you any grounds to say anything about lives shows this and young dudes that?

Just say you don't go to shows and leave it at that.

You always have to throw some negative connotation on shit you know next to nothing about and sometimes, a lot of times I wish you would just save it.

Then what gives you any grounds to say anything about lives shows this and young dudes that?

Just say you don't go to shows and leave it at that.

You always have to throw some negative connotation on shit you know next to nothing about and sometimes, a lot of times I wish you would just save it.

Oh, so there's been a shocking reversal in the trend?

The decline in emphasis on live performance that was already a major problem in the early nineties and only increased as that decade progressed is no longer an issue?

Please, dude, I see enough televised award shows to know that no top rappers give a damn about the quality of their live performances in 2006. Uniformly awful.

I'm sure NGOK is killing it in your backyard, though.

• there goes another one...

Please to report to the Graemlin thread immediately.

::SINKING IN HARVEY CANAL::

it's the SS THIS THREAD

Please, dude, I see enough televised award shows to know that no top rappers give a damn about the quality of their live performances in 2006. Uniformly awful.

You just made Oliver Wang look like Paul Mooney.

Don't know what I mean? Then see side-2, track #3 of this album...

Also DVDS.

Your problem--okay, one of your problems--is that you're so divorced from the larger landscape of rap that you're completely unable to see the forest for the trees. I have no doubt that there are acts putting on exceptional live shows in your neck of the woods, but that does not change the fact that the trend for the past 15+ years in hip-hop has been away from a live performance medium towards a strictly recorded one and that live shows have concurrently suffered. I know you have this weird concept of fandom that involves all kinds of duties and obligations, including attending x number of live shows a month, and that by largely swearing off live shows I've been delinquent by your standards, but that doesn't change the fact that I attended probably a hundred live rap shows during the nineties and can only recall a handful of them being any good. Recognizing that something is not very good despite what one wants that thing to be is a part of adulthood, although I've noticed it's something that you struggle with.

Also DVDS.

Your problem--okay, one of your problems--is that you're so divorced from the larger landscape of rap that you're completely unable to see the forest for the trees. I have no doubt that there are acts putting on exceptional live shows in your neck of the woods, but that does not change the fact that the trend for the past 15+ years in hip-hop has been away from a live performance medium towards a strictly recorded one and that live shows have concurrently suffered. I know you have this weird concept of fandom that involves all kinds of duties and obligations, including attending x number of live shows a month, and that by largely swearing off live shows I've been delinquent by your standards, but that doesn't change the fact that I attended probably a hundred live rap shows during the nineties and can only recall a handful of them being any good. Recognizing that something is not very good despite what one wants that thing to be is a part of adulthood, although I've noticed it's something that you struggle with.

All this shows is that you are a snob.

One, you assume (by experiences that are apparently not your own) that live rap shows in the 80's were the pinnacle when in many cases some of the same issues that people complain about today (rhyming over vocal tracks, bad sound, too many on mics at once, etc) were just as prevalent back then.

Two, what 100 rap shows did you go to during the 90's that only produced a handful that you liked? That is just sad to me, for I also went to hundreds of rap shows during that timespan and I saw all sorts of stuff that I liked.

Three, I see really good live rap shows all of the time nowadays...and I'm far from the only one enjoying them.

I don't know, I'm just not buying this theory that rap shows have continually fallen off as a whole over the years. Maybe you are looking for more choreographed dance routines and/or prettier studded costumes than you're currently going to get at a rap show, but when it comes to music performed without flaw...that's still happening as often as it ever has.

It just takes leaving the ivory tower every now and then.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts
    Amsterdaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaam!!!!

weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeed, ayo, im high as fuck right now! yeahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, can i get some motherfuckkin love for the

red

light

distrik.

word, word, amsterdaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaam!

check it, aight, awon to awon to

yo, forreal, amsterdamin the fukkin house!!!

yo yo

putcha blunts in the air yall

yo, red light,

red light

red light

check it, fuckin amsterdaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaam

Trae's September show schedule:

Thursday, September 7
    Performance
    Arlington,Tx
    Club Cristal

Friday, September 8
    Performance
    Palestine, Tx
    Club Edge

Saturday, September 9
    Performance
    Austin, Tx
    Red 7 Nightclub

Friday, September 15
    Performance
    Houston, Tx
    The Perfect Rack

Tuesday, September 19
    Performance
    Houston, Tx
    Club Hallabalaos

Saturday, September 23
    Performance
    Killeen, Tx
    Fort Hood Military Base

Tuesday, September 26
    Performance
    Houston, Tx
    The Matrix

Friday, September 29
    Performance
    Jennings, La

And yes, Trae puts on a really good show.

Also DVDS.

All this shows is that you are a snob.

One, you assume (by experiences that are apparently not your own) that live rap shows in the 80's were the pinnacle when in many cases some of the same issues that people complain about today (rhyming over vocal tracks, bad sound, too many on mics at once, etc) were just as prevalent back then.

Two, what 100 rap shows did you go to during the 90's that only produced a handful that you liked? That is just sad to me, for I also went to hundreds of rap shows during that timespan and I saw all sorts of stuff that I liked.

Three, I see really good live rap shows all of the time nowadays...and I'm far from the only one enjoying them.

I don't know, I'm just not buying this theory that rap shows have continually fallen off as a whole over the years. Maybe you are looking for more choreographed dance routines and/or prettier studded costumes than you're currently going to get at a rap show, but when it comes to music performed without flaw...that's still happening as often as it ever has.

It just takes leaving the ivory tower every now and then.

what the fuck would you know lizardboy? you only go to shows to check out what the audience is wearing

• BurnsBurns 2,227 Posts
    Bust'ed.

• As a rapper who has yet to put out any real product out yet, I must say that I feel the live show is crucial to any independent newbie on the scene. I don't think it matters a whole bunch on the mainstream level (Ask Rhymefest).

I have spent the better part of 3 years getting my chops sharp on stage. Me and my DJ never do the same set twice and even when I don't rock with him, I use a mix we worked on together. All this work and not much to show for it, well not yet... at the same time, I would guarantee we can rock the spot just as well as anyone against an unbiased, unassuming crowd. It took a long time to get the confidence to say that.
    I guess I'm saying I support the live show, but it's sad that I seem to be a small minority or my perspective is not the norm. Many cats out here in the Midwest don't really give two shits about their stage show. They figure if they remember all their words and people respond back that it's a dope show. *sigh*

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    just wanted to add on saying that most major rap acts I've seen put on shows that make me wish I saved my money (Gangstarr being the worst of the worst)

it seems like the smaller acts usually got something to prove so they try to build a base through their shows rather than cash in on their album appeal and just slop through several tracks.

Los Angeles used to be great for live hip hop around the turn of the millenium J5 always put on an entertaining show as did Dilated Peoples, Ugly Duckling, Black eyed Peas, etc.

the only entertaining major artist shows I've ever seen are festival type events where the atmosphere and crowd both seemed full of energy even before the artists took the stage. the Spitkicker tour(s) are a great example of that.

for the most part I'm with Faux_Rills on this though. Most hip-hop acts just don't seem to understand that the audience isn't there ust to see the artist, but rather to be entertained.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    I just copped the DJ QUIK LIVE @ THE HOUSE OF BLUES cd. I likey alot.

• for the most part I'm with Faux_Rills on this though. Most hip-hop acts just don't seem to understand that the audience isn't there ust to see the artist, but rather to be entertained.

• jaymackjaymack 5,199 Posts
    eminem has a flawless delivery live, but is a horrible performer.
    i saw tribe, cypress, and fugees back at the smoking grooves tour. it was good for what it was.

• BurnsBurns 2,227 Posts
    I've saw ODB solo and Wu-Tang. I love'm both, but damn too much yelling on stage. More of a shout out than performance.

The Streets sucked.
    Atmosphere sounded like poop. I know others think otherwise
    Common wasn't bad, added a lot of storytellin'.
    Snoop was rollin weed on stage at Lollapollza in cinci, he was a party.
    Lyrics Born and Blackilicious, I would rather listen to thier CD in the car.

I wished I could have caught Black Star.

• beware of shows that advertise "an old school set" becasue that just means midi. my bro went to see rob base and dj ez rock and young mc not so long ago and he told me they were lipsynching and that the djs didnt even have vinyl on their decks and that they were just miming it. the worst show i ever saw by far though was DJ shadow in montreal in about 97 or 98. it was like the scene from the wizard of oz where they pull back the curtain and you see this little man pulling levers and pressing buttons to make smoke appear. if you can"t pull it off live then your records start to sound whack too imo.

ok, but what about those last three or 4 live songs from that slick rick comeback album with just like him and dougie fresh. thats talent. also j-live can put on a real show.

• BurnsBurns 2,227 Posts
    Anybody see the Notorious B.I.G.live?

I remember when ODB came to my town, they wouldn't advertise it on the "Urban" stations, or put posters in the areas of where most of the black folk lived. It was a total white fan boy concert. Just wasn't right.