Live Hip Hop: Yay or Nay??

13»

Comments

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts
    Bust'ed.

• im watching TI on the VMA's and im thinking how pointlless and annoying it is to watch a rapper and his countless cronies shouting over a prerecorded track.

besides seeing an emcee backed by a live band, or getting to see a legend in their prime, is live hiphop ever good????

when i saw edan a couple months ago i thought that shit was awesome! and up until then i was constantly hating on live hip hop shows, they were wack.

if i could see a couple more like the edan show i saw i would go regularly.

• also j-live can put on a real show.

• good live hip - hop i've seen:

Run DMC
    Tribe
    LONS
    De La
    Nice N' Smooth
    Gangstaar
    Pharcyde
    MF DOOM
    M.O.P
    Edan
    Beastie Boys
    Roots
    BDP
    Big Daddy Kane
    Outkast
    Goodie Mob
    Dead Prez
    Tha Alkoholiks
    Ghostface
    Redman
    LL Cool J

I've seen probably a hundred hip-hop shows and there is just too many bad ones to mention... including the above.
    For me a good hip-hop show usually incorporates a live DJ with Skills (Run DMC, BDP,Gangstarr, Kane, De La) and sometimes dancers (Pharcyde, Kane, Nice N' Smooth, Outkast). For the most part the "live" hip-hop bands are just horrible lounge funk ( Common, DJ Quick, etc) but sometimes there are surprises (Outkast's DJ/bass/guitar/back singers/dancers line up works for me?)

• PonyPony 2,283 Posts
    RA The Rugged Man

for serious!

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    The two times I have seen PE live they killed it. Naughty by Nature blew up Springfield coliseem in the days of OPP.

I liked Mos Def with Maseo on the wheels and Digalbe Planets had a respectable band backing them up on the Blowout Tour.

Not really rap but Ice-T with Body Count was cool.

De La was horrible. Saw BEPs (pre-Fergie) once at Bumbershoot (had no idea who they were) .

In general I avoid hiphop live like the plague