The Weekend Finds Thread

holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
edited September 2006 in Strut Central
OK, so I know this is early for you northern hemisphere types, but it's already saturday afternoon here & after the record fair this morning I am now broke until wednesday so I won't be buying much tomorrow. Anyhow, 2X free gifts, 5X mailbox "finds" & 18X record fair finds. Cool. No worthwhile 45s at the record fair though which was a bummer.

Comments

• i'm in the process of selling almost all of my CDs, so I sold a bunch today and bought a few records with some of the credit:

Gary Tom's Empire- 7-6-5-4-3-2-1 Blow Your Whistle (sealed)
    Magic Sam- West Side Soul
    The Avenue- Hot-n-Nasty (sealed)- can I get a or anyone know anything about it? Private Ypsilanti, MI ish, worth opening?
    Earl Sixteen- Showcase

• The Avenue- Hot-n-Nasty (sealed)- can I get a or anyone know anything about it? Private Ypsilanti, MI ish, worth opening?

Definitely not worth opening. There was stock of this at either Encore or Graveyard for a while. I listened to an open copy sometime last year and my repulsion was immediate. Promising cover though, huh?

• yeah it is...hopefully i can pawn it off on some other unsuspecting fool and get my money back. thanks for the

• How is that Okaysions record? Passed on it today, but not without a tinge of regret.

• this morning i checked out a collection belonging to a veiny red-faced santa type guy with a beaded feather dangling in the braid down his back. go up to his attic, which has no electricity. in one hand he holds a flashlight, in the other a can of the "high life". tells me that he "fucked jimi hendrix's girlfriend in the ass up and down the wall for days." skeptical, then i stumbled on this... $3 each.

IMG SRC="http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n178/williedynamite3000/P9020006.jpg" WIDTH=700>

Grapefruit "Around"
    The Flame "S/T"
    Sagittarius "Blue Marble"
    Jellybread "First Slice"
    Pidgeon "S/T"
    Maximillian "S/T"
    Blue Cheer "Outsideinside"
    Lovecraft "Valley of the Moon"

IMG SRC="http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n178/williedynamite3000/P9020008.jpg" WIDTH=700>
    Clear Light "S/T"
    Harvey Mandel "
    Arther Brown
    Ambergris? "S/T"
    The East Side Kids "The Tiger and the Lamb"
    The Foundation "Build Me Up Buttercup"
    The Glitterhouse "Colorblind"
    Tranquility "S/T"
    Lougarou "S/T"

IMG SRC="http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n178/williedynamite3000/P9020010.jpg" WIDTH=700>
    Renaissance "Scheherazade"
    Magic Lanterns "Shame Shame"
    California Poppy Pickers "Hair-Aquarius"
    The Paupers "Magic People"
    The Cherry People "S/T"
    Moonrakers "S/T"
    Rick Wakeman "No Earthly Connection"
    Hanson "Magic Dragon"
    Steve Kuhn "Trance"

IMG SRC="http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n178/williedynamite3000/P9020011.jpg" WIDTH=700>
    Rasputin's Stash "S/T"
    Gordon Parks "Shaft's Big Score"
    Rufus Thomas "Live at the PJs"
    Calvin Keys "Proceed with Caution"
    Brooklyn Steel
    Dick Hyman "Age of Electronicus"
    Lalo Schifrin "Mannix"
    Esso Steel Band of Bermuda "Sunshine"
    Sugarcane Harris "Sugarcane"

IMG SRC="http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n178/williedynamite3000/P9020012.jpg" WIDTH=700>
    Don Covay "See-Saw"
    Johnny Hallyday "Enregistrement Public Au Palais Des Sports A Paris"
    Pay It All Back Vol.1 (80s british dub comp)
    New Order "Power Corruption Lies"
    Michal Urbaniak & Urszula Dudziak "Tribute to Komeda"
    Keith Jarrett "Life Between the Exit Signs"
    David Grisman Quintet "S/T"
    Willie Colon "Lo Mato"
    Ravi Shankar "India's Master Musician

To top it off, dude kept handing me slices of sharp chedder his buddies from oregon sent him with his monthly weed shipment. Still doubtful about his sexploits though.

• IMG SRC="http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n178/williedynamite3000/P9020008.jpg" WIDTH=700>

The Glitterhouse "Colorblind"

My girlfriend's uncle was the keyboardist in The Glitterhouse. He has amazing stories including playing with Jimi Hendrix in the Village right before Jimi got discovered in London and how he was almost in Crosby Stills & Nash.

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    wow nice finds
    (grapefruit!)
    that dude even has some quebec psych/folk haha lougarou later known as garolou

nice one!

• grapefruit is up for grabs for anyone who's interested... so are most of the others. pm me.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    How is that Okaysions record?

• it's been really slow for me since i got back from hawaii, up until last weekend. scored a maceo and the kings men "funky music machine" sealed FOR $45 (THANKS CHRIS!!)

couple different spots, all under $3:

found a dude who had a quantity on a gang of 45's. he said it was leftover stock from a store who's owner left it to him before he died. i'm going to homie's house in a couple of days to check it out, but these are what i picked up from him yesterday (quarter each):

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    Found these three in a small town Flea Market.......the first one has a Sam Goody sticker on it meaning it was made in Shreveport, Louisiana, on the shelf of a store in New York, and found 30 years later unopened in a small town in West Texas......amazing.

Any of these nearly as good as the extremely overpriced copies for sale on GEMM would lead one to believe??

• About two weeks of finds here:

Starlets on Chess (great northern tune), Raves on Smash (eastern pop psych/garage...great!), Rosebuds on Tower (rare soul tune...wrecked copy but plays nice), Paul Kelly on Philips (another nice soul tune), Chocolate Tunnel on Era (another nice psych 45)

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    What's the LP just above Willie Dynamite???

• Stereolab's "Peng" LP (UK)

Stereolab

• The 45 is Big Barney - The Whole Thang, which is a killer funk 45.

Bottom left is John Rydgren - Cantata of New Life, which was a bit of a dissapointment as half of the lp are tracks taken from his Silhouette Segments LP ( ), but it was really cheap and it's going on my record wall because of the beautiful collage cover-art.

The Axelrod's were both still sealed.

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts
    grapefruit is up for grabs for anyone who's interested... so are most of the others. pm me.

someone should really snag that Grapefruit lp, its really great if you are into the Beatles and Emitt Rhodes and whatnot...

• From a record fair here in Auckland this weekend...

The Otis is super clean, and the Starr/Blinky LP has a couple of nice upbeat numbers. Have wanted Computer World on vinyl forever!!!

These are all dollar bin finds on a quick record trip...The Jimmy Smith LP sounds great so far..

BUT...The find of the weekend is my new baby:

A 1976 Triumph 2500 TC. A classic 'careful lady owner'...Was totally worth the two days driving to get it!!!

Good hauls this weekend!!

That car is fresh.

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    How is that Okaysions record?

Ha, do you mean it's thumbs up or that it makes you wanna blow chunks? Because I don't think it's vomit inducing at all from what I've heard so far.

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    From a record fair here in Auckland this weekend...

The Otis is super clean, and the Starr/Blinky LP has a couple of nice upbeat numbers. Have wanted Computer World on vinyl forever!!!

These are all dollar bin finds on a quick record trip...The Jimmy Smith LP sounds great so far..

BUT...The find of the weekend is my new baby:

A 1976 Triumph 2500 TC. A classic 'careful lady owner'...Was totally worth the two days driving to get it!!!

Good hauls this weekend!!
    That record fair gets better each time huh? I spent like 2.5 hours there this time.

• From Idems shop in Melbourne I got
    -A looks-beat-but-plays-pretty-damn-well original copy of Funkadelic "America Eats Its Young"
    -The Meters "Look-Ka Py Py"
    -Kelis "Bossy" 12" promo
    -Cee-Lo "Closet Freak" 12" promo
    -Lavell Kamma and his Afro Soul Review "Soft Soul" 7"
    -The Meters "Sophisticated Cissy" 7"
    -Willie Mitchell "Up Hard" 7"
    -Archie Bell & The Drells "You're Such A Beautiful Child" 7"
    -Little Beaver "Joey" 7"
    -and a white label cover of "Melting Pot" thrown in too.

-Lavell Kamma and his Afro Soul Review "Soft Soul" 7"

This single has an amazing ubiquity - it is so widely available,
    all over the US and in other countries, but looks like it was homemade
    and should only have been pressed in 500 copies or so...

• About two weeks of finds here:

cake rules...

• Found these three in a small town Flea Market.......the first one has a Sam Goody sticker on it meaning it was made in Shreveport, Louisiana, on the shelf of a store in New York, and found 30 years later unopened in a small town in West Texas......amazing.

Any of these nearly as good as the extremely overpriced copies for sale on GEMM would lead one to believe??

I got that Spats LP last year at a carboot sale here in the UK. Didn't think much of it (one track in AWB style perhaps?) and certainly didn't think to check it out online, so surprised to see that GEMM price. Surely is extremely overpriced?

• lambertlambert 1,166 Posts
    Picked the Affinity- s/t for pretty cheap earlier this week (nice one). I finally grabbed "open the door to your heart" by the j.o.b. orquestra after passing by it for a full 2 years, got a winley boot comp at the same place (godawful!).

On a better note, Age came through on the deals w/ his trades thread. Picked up his Aposento Alto (lovely), Dorando, Jake Wade and Stainless Soul at a price I can definitely live with.

If you didn't already know, Age is very very dude. Super nice guy who threw in the Les Crane lp I never got around to picking up. Thanks again, man.

Lastly, the cherry on top, Baris Manco's Gonul Daga, in true vg- turkish condition. So so nice.

• This weekend's take home pay:

Steve Kuhn - S/T (Buddah)
    Blackalicious - Melodica (Mo Wax)
    Alexander Robotnick - Ce N'est Q'un Debut (Materiali Sonori)
    Grobschnitt - Solar Music Live (Brain)
    Ann Peebles - Straight from the Heart (Hi)
    Funk Inc. - Chicken Lickin' (Prestige)
    Life - I'm Caught Up (TCT 12")

• puppup 133 Posts
    Well, it has been a while since I contributed some heat to the weekend finds thread... I usually dig for 45s which don't come out nearly as well in the thread. But last Sunday (yes I know I'm a week late) I met up with this really cool ex-hippie african american lady in her late 40s who lived in hills of Silver Lake back in the early 70s. She told me great stories about getting stoned, listenning to spiritual jazz at ultra-loud volume and meditating, seeing Fela in Ghanna in the mid-70s, and just some other solid black power young activist lawyer of the 70s tales. She gave me everything you see here for less than $2 each ... knowing they were worth more because I promised to record them onto CDs for her. (and yes, I am keeping my promise, but I'm not even half way through the project...)

I bought about 75 records from her collection of several hundred. Here are some of my favorites...

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    These are all from the last 2 weeks and a few different spots. The James Carr is a UK press on Stateside that looks and sounds NM. The bobby womack, ella & candi lp's are . I was real suprised to find an OG Ash Ra on Ohr in the middle of a bunch of bad late 70's prog.

Finally found these in my "donation box" after buying them a month ago and misplacing them. Now if i could only find his solo lp.

Some local cheapies:

Loner Folk up top was some Stereo Ja*k's $1 folk bin niceness. Peter Duchin
    has the power duo of Chuck Rainey & Pretty Purdie, and a few nice joints.
    Live Motown set is from my favorite era, has mucho heat - Originals doing "Sing
    a Simple Song," 3[/b] Bobby Taylor songs, Temps doing "Cloud 9" and prime
    era Gladys Knight & Stevie Wonder fills the flipside. RAW!! "Fly Disco Fly" is
    basically a disco-funk library LP from Dieter Reith and crew, on the same label
    as the dope V.I.P. Connection 12"

A lil' higher quality, all still local except for the CC:

Mobley is an early press (Ny, USA) and looks G+ but played without a pop! $3 and
    just an amazing album.

Sonny Stitt was sealed and not warped

- I have access to a few more sealed copies of this, get at me on the PM if interested -

Chubby Checker is a true ~real headz know~ deal, an absolutely
    ill psych session recorded circa 1969/1970, and released only on euro budget
    LP's and North American truck stop tapes from '71-'83 ... I was tired of being
    outbid on it on eBay, and googling by just catalog # found me a German oldies
    website selling it for 5 euros! "Let me warn you this is not 'Twist' music like
    the cover implies, but loud rock music" wrote the nice man from Germany ...
    yeah, no shit! That's why I need that shit in my life, mein herr!!

Here's a sip of the audio - the entire LP is up for DL in the RH forum:

Chubby Checker - My Mind MP3

Some pop/psych 45's picked up cheap "on lunch:"

Decent stuff - check the Lewis & Clark jawn:

Lewis & Clark Expedition - Blue Revelation MP3

More 45's:

dope heavy garage tune about LSD on Motown subsidiary!

Awesome Northern 2-sider from perhaps the most talented voice out of the
    Curtis camp (although Major Lance may have something to say about that) -
    one more MP3 to celebrate the holiday weekend:

Billy Butler - Help Yourself MP3