fiba world basketball championships

Comments

• all I know is I want to cop one of them greek team jerseys!!!!

Just what I was thinking. Argentina and them got nice jerseys. Their game is beautiful too.

no doubt and you know shit is real when Coach K puts in Shane Battier!!!! 13 minutes left in the game!!!!

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    and i emulate his swagger!

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    all I know is I want to cop one of them greek team jerseys!!!!

Just what I was thinking. Argentina and them got nice jerseys. Their game is beautiful too.

no doubt and you know shit is real when Coach K puts in Shane Battier!!!! 13 minutes left in the game!!!!

hahahahaha. yea.

• hahahahaha. yea.

• motown67motown67 4,513 Posts
    I don't really buy the lack of fundamentals complaint about this current USA Team. They actually do have quite a few very fine fundamental players this year and stayed away from the ALL stars approach.

The reason they lost to me (having only watched the last half) were due to 3 things:

1) No defense. How many times did Greek players get right past their defender and go right in for layups? There was no help defense and many of the US players were weak one-on-one

2) Lack of 3-point shooting. Hinrich and Battier seem to be pretty consistent 3-point shooters. The rest are streaky.

3) Coach K. Greece went on truns and he didn't call time outs to stop them. Something I think an NBA coach would've done.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    I don't really buy the lack of fundamentals complaint about this current USA Team. They actually do have quite a few very fine fundamental players this year and stayed away from the ALL stars approach.

The reason they lost to me (having only watched the last half) were due to 3 things:

1) No defense. How many times did Greek players get right past their defender and go right in for layups? There was no help defense and many of the US players were weak one-on-one

2) Lack of 3-point shooting. Hinrich and Battier seem to be pretty consistent 3-point shooters. The rest are streaky.

3) Coach K. Greece went on truns and he didn't call time outs to stop them. Something I think an NBA coach would've done.

All three are right on the money....

And I don't think this team itself is fundamentally lacking...

But in the NBA.....especially in the 6th through 12th players on the roster, there are a lot of highly athletic/less fundamental American players and quite a few.....less athletic/more fundamentally sound/hustling foriegn players.......at least that's how it seems to me.

I think that for some of these guys, having a Soccer background allows them to play at a higher intensity level for a longer time.....Parker/Ginobli being a good example.

I hope cats arent in state of panic for team USA. This is just a dry run for the Olympics. Theyre tryin to change the culture w/ this team. Theres bound to be losses while adjusting to the new approach. The new team is young and will have time to gel together. I'm not ready to give up on the new direction this group is going. Cry to me when they get bumped in 2008.

Their defense was pretty good. In the second half their defense became loose, because they were so confused and out of wack on the opposite end.

Their fundamentals individually are good. But when they're squaring off like the commentators said 1 against 5, that's not fundamentally sound ball. Anytime, Lebron or Melo or whoever is dribbling the ball out on the perimeter more than 5 seconds, you're making the offense stagnant and predictable. And most importantly, you're not getting the other guys any touches, which consequently results in bricks (because they're not warmed up).

That was the main problem.

Frankly, I didn't even notice that this was a very young and inexperienced team til now. And once again, it's the Team USA committee or whatever that failed to recognize this and put any proven winners on the squad. (I'm telling you it's always the Execs at fault!!!!)

Heck even their 40pt. blowouts looked unimpressive.

'08 Olympics, "The Lord of the Rings" will bring home the gold, you can put that on!

Two phrases can sum up the loss:

Passing the rock

and

Movement without the ball

Neither of which the NBA players did. They don't do it in the league, how do you expect them to do it in the world championships?

Neither of which the NBA players did. They don't do it in the league, how do you expect them to do it in the world championships?

The Master -

The Torchbearer -

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts

Their defense was pretty good. In the second half their defense became loose, because they were so confused and out of wack on the opposite end.

Their fundamentals individually are good. But when they're squaring off like the commentators said 1 against 5, that's not fundamentally sound ball. Anytime, Lebron or Melo or whoever is dribbling the ball out on the perimeter more than 5 seconds, you're making the offense stagnant and predictable. And most importantly, you're not getting the other guys any touches, which consequently results in bricks (because they're not warmed up).

That was the main problem.

Frankly, I didn't even notice that this was a very young and inexperienced team til now. And once again, it's the Team USA committee or whatever that failed to recognize this and put any proven winners on the squad. (I'm telling you it's always the Execs at fault!!!!)

Heck even their 40pt. blowouts looked unimpressive.

'08 Olympics, "The Lord of the Rings" will bring home the gold, you can put that on!

Yuichi you are dead on with these last two posts. I hope your right. I haven't checked into what coach K has said about the loss but I'd be interested if he makes the same point. If so that would be a big admission that we are not de facto the best anymore and we will have to earn it.

• Movement without the ball

The Master -

The Torchbearer -

and the protege

seriously

So you think he'll be an All Star in the league?

• not an all star, no .. but i thought we were talking about movement without the ball ... which will probably be his bread and butter in the league

The Master -

The Torchbearer -

for set shots, yea, but I really can't even recall players who fill the lanes and cut to the basket with consistency. I probably should watch more college ball i think.

for set shots, yea, but I really can't even recall players who fill the lanes and cut to the basket with consistency. I probably should watch more college ball i think.

I think that certain offensive sets cater to moving w/out the ball.

• damn, the final was a blowout pau gasol's absence was not a factor at all, spain is the best team in the tournament. congrats to spain and greece for both medaling for the first time in fiba wbc. both semi-final games were much better to watch than this one...time to go back to bed.

• edpowersedpowers 4,437 Posts
    The team that SHOULD be playing .....

G1[/b]

Chris Paul (3)
    Mike Bibby (1)
    Allen Iverson (2)(captain)

G2[/b]

Gilbert Arenas(2)
    Dwyane Wade (1)
    Michael Redd (3)

F1[/b]

Kobe Bryant (1)(Captain)
    LeBron James (2)

i would love to squeeze Vince in here........no Pasue

F2[/b]

Amare Stoudemire (2)
    Kevin Garnett (1)(Captain)

C[/b]

Jermaine O'Neal (2)
    Ben Wallace (1)

Alt[/b]

Ron Artest

H C[/b]

Mike D'Antoni

Asst[/b]

Phoenix Suns coaching staff with Donn Nelson

A dream ....i know

Usa Basketball and the NBA need to stop being stubborn and adjust to the international game when playing outside of the United States

These Euro cats are garbage ......they play nothing more than all star street ball.....the best shooters and best handling guards from their countries build simple all star teams that pick,drive and kick.....pick,drive and pop ..playing to their only strenghts

jesus fuckin christ .....build the same team,play the same way half-court and practice forcing the fast break for a month straight.....fuck defense ...those fat slow cigarette smoking Greecians would be so run down tired by halftime you wouldnt have to play defense

instead we're being arrogant and forcing our boring (dribble....dribble....dribble.....crossover....back step.....pass..cut..pass back.....dribble self post...fade....look for the foul ) NBA game ...... and its not working .....you cant click your heels Dorothy .....so RUN MOTHERFUKAS RUN !!!

Good picks at each position, Ed. Although, I am skeptical with Mike Bibby at point. He's known to be trigger happy at times. Vince, no. I would put in Ron Artest cuz he can do it all. And Carlos Boozer, cuz he's the next Karl Malone.

We just don't need any more scorers on this team.

jesus fuckin christ .....build the same team,play the same way half-court and practice forcing the fast break for a month straight.....fuck defense ...those fat slow cigarette smoking Greecians would be so run down tired by halftime you wouldnt have to play defense

I was about to say, call up the Suns. But then I realized half their players are from foreign countries.

I would put in Ron Artest

forgot about Ron ......

corrected

instead we're being arrogant and forcing our boring (dribble....dribble....dribble.....crossover....back step.....pass..cut..pass back.....dribble self post...fade....look for the foul ) NBA game ...... and its not working .....you cant click your heels Dorothy .....so RUN MOTHERFUKAS RUN !!!

I'd throw RON ARTEST up in there for some smothering D. But his attitude sux.

I would put in Ron Artest

forgot about Ron ......

I wonder if he was even a serious consideration? Artest doesn't get the credit he deserves as one of the best players in the league. see this guy:

I'd throw RON ARTEST up in there to elbow some of those soft Euros in the ribs. His attitude is perfect for this.....

But his attitude sux.

I don't watch the Pacers very often on T.v., can you elaborate?

I wonder if he was even a serious consideration?

PR nightmare!

I wonder if he was even a serious consideration?

PR nightmare!

Do you wanna win or keep a clean image?

But his attitude sux.

I don't watch the Pacers very often on T.v., can you elaborate?

"I wanna take some time off to promote my artists and my career."

The Pacers swallowed the PR pill w/ this cat and he disrupts the team w/these antics. Lets disregard the brawl which was on the court. The players that go overseas have to have somewhat of a "clean rep". U know who these suit think of Ball players from the giddyup. Shane Battier - role player and "speaks well".

Do you wanna win or keep a clean image?

LOL

The NBA would prefer both.

No hate though - I heard he's on the extra smart tip.

H C

Phil Jackson[/b]

He maximizes the potential in everyone on the team, superstars and role players alike. I'm a true believer after that 3 game win streak holding the mawfuggin' Phoenix Suns in the 90s. I don't think any coach is capable of pulling off a feat like that. He's one of the best motivators in all of sports, his experience speaks for itself, and he shuts up and let's the players play.